Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

anti gun advocates

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM
  • 72 Replies
Just read the post about how many cm moms have guns and why. There were a bunch of women saying that because people defend the gun laws and the right to bear arms, that they themselves are perpetuating the violence. I was wondering, for those of you that agree, do you feel that making guns illegal would solve all the gun problems? Should it just be civilians who are not allowed to bear arms or everybody? When soldiers come home from war should they be stripped of their arms when they return to civilian status, even though they have been properly trained in their use? What about the people who carry guns illegally already? Stolen or whatever, do you think outlawing guns in the us would make it harder for them to obtain fire arms? How could you be sure that if guns were outlawed that you could get them all out of the country? What about people that have handed them down through heirlooms? Should the law be you may own but not be allowed to use? And what would your argument be for those women who say they have them for protection? What should they do if faced with an intruder who has a gun? Or is posing a serious threat to their family where police intervention would take too long? Should hunters be included? Would you outlaw all guns or just hand guns?

For those of you answering I don't expect you to answer all those questions. But their just some things I started to wonder as I read peoples positions on gun laws.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Rant!

JamesMom714
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM
5 moms liked this
Drugs are illegal. Murder is illegal. Rape is illegal. Theft is illegal. Doesn't stop people from committing crimes.
I would not outlaw guns or gun ownership. (except to felons, mentally I'll, etc as the rules are now).
I own guns and I will always own guns. I will protect myself and my family. I will hunt and I will compete.

The American Revolution began when the British came to take Colonist's gun. Go ahead, try again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KedrynsMommie
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this
The Second Amendment: Americas original Homeland Security.

In all seriousness, i love my 1911 firestorm..im a great shot. If you break into my home and put my family in danger i WILL put a bullet in your skull.

I dont want to, but psycho crimes are a reality and while i dont ever advicate violence its becoming a harsh reality that evil people ARE out there and sometimes the police just can't get to you quick enough.

That being said.. i dont leave my weapons (i have several nonfirearm weapons) where ds can see let alone get to, and when he's old enough to understand and comprehend the ramifications of guns, he will be taught how to use one for protection in his home or hunting, and he will learn respect.

Too many guns are in the wrong hands these days :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelimom
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I don't own guns, so I'm not knowledgeable on the subject.  I do have a question for those that do. Gun owners say it's to protect you if god forbid someone were to break into your homes. I was always under the impression that you must keep your bullets separate from your gun. If this is so, would you have enough time to retrieve both? Thanks to those who answer. =)

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

That's good that your gun is where the child can't get it. I assume by that it's put away? What will you do if you're in the basement doing laundry, or maybe in the kitchen making cookies, and some thug busts in?

Quoting KedrynsMommie:

The Second Amendment: Americas original Homeland Security.

In all seriousness, i love my 1911 firestorm..im a great shot. If you break into my home and put my family in danger i WILL put a bullet in your skull.

I dont want to, but psycho crimes are a reality and while i dont ever advicate violence its becoming a harsh reality that evil people ARE out there and sometimes the police just can't get to you quick enough.

That being said.. i dont leave my weapons (i have several nonfirearm weapons) where ds can see let alone get to, and when he's old enough to understand and comprehend the ramifications of guns, he will be taught how to use one for protection in his home or hunting, and he will learn respect.

Too many guns are in the wrong hands these days :(

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Locks, a nice big dog, an alarm system and motion sensored lights....I have them all and have never had anyone kick in my front door. I also tend to live in safe neighborhoods, do not associate with criminals or engage in risky behaviors. 

I do support your right to have an arsenal....but I think the whole "in case a thug George Zimmerman kicks in my front" is way over played. I know a man who never answers his door without his piece- I've seen him handle this weapon and am surprised that he has not blown his own foot off with the d*mn thing-

As my husband said, "why the hell do we sit in the room when he's handling that thing"?

KWnavywife
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM
2 moms liked this
The facts of the matter are it would be impossible for the gov't to take all guns. Second, one thing anti-gunners don't get is that people who have no regard for the law will not care if guns are illegal. They I'll find a way to get them. In the off chance we rid our country of all guns, someone bent on hurting or killing someone else, the lack of guns won't matter. They will stab them to death or push them out a window. Are we then going to ban knives and windows?
KWnavywife
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM
4 moms liked this
Quoting littlelimom:

I don't own guns, so I'm not knowledgeable on the subject.  I do have a question for those that do. Gun owners say it's to protect you if god forbid someone were to break into your homes. I was always under the impression that you must keep your bullets separate from your gun. If this is so, would you have enough time to retrieve both? Thanks to those who answer. =)

IMO keeping bullets away from the gun is idiotic and pointless. Keep the gun in a place accessible to you and teach your kids gun safety.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

You can NOT  kill in numbers with a knife, bow, window, pencil..... like you can with an automatic assault weapon-

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Here's a bump.  I'd like to answer, but I'm tired and I'm going back to sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)