Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O I won't apologize for FF

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM
  • 13 Replies
2 moms liked this

Reading Paganbaby's response to another commenter that she is all for the mother's choice got me thinking. Isn't that what's right? Isn't it a mother's (or parent's) choice as to what is right for their child? We only live with our children every day not other people's. We don't know about health problems or picky eaters or anything else that goes on in everyone's home. So it's not up to someone else (researcher, parent, doctor, etc) to tell us how to raise our child. They can recommend things that are shown to be good but it's ultimately up to us as to what's best for our child(ren).

That is all. :)

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Great post!

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM
4 moms liked this

Yea, it is up to us... but that doesn't mean we can't make mistakes or "bad" choices.  We're not inherently "correct" simply because we're the parent.   Sometimes the choices we make effect our kids negatively or put them at risk... it's just a reality.  I don't think anyone can say they've never made a mistake, or bad choice, though... we all do it, and it gets complicated when you add the layers of individual situations to the equation.  We don't need to pick on each other about it, but I don't think it's right to condone bad choices, either.... or pretend like it's no big deal.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
momma_sam
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM

very true.

Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM
I missed it, shoot.
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM

It was awesome ;-)

Quoting Lunarprancer:

I missed it, shoot.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

mrsjksimmons
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:43 PM

But that's the thing. Yes, we're falliable. I'm not saying we aren't. But instead of respecting other parent's choices (especially around here), we tear each other down and make each other feel bad about the choices we do make as parents. I'm sure I've made quite a few mistakes as a parent and a person. I'm not saying I haven't. Why would I want to tear someone down over a difference of opinion? It's juvenile and as mother's it's asinine.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Yea, it is up to us... but that doesn't mean we can't make mistakes or "bad" choices.  We're not inherently "correct" simply because we're the parent.   Sometimes the choices we make effect our kids negatively or put them at risk... it's just a reality.  I don't think anyone can say they've never made a mistake, or bad choice, though... we all do it, and it gets complicated when you add the layers of individual situations to the equation.  We don't need to pick on each other about it, but I don't think it's right to condone bad choices, either.... or pretend like it's no big deal.  

I'm the type of girl who can only be defined as different, complicated, and unique.

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I can only make decisions for my children and I make the decisions that I feel are in their best interest. I can only control what goes on in my own home. I never know 100% what goes on in any other family's home. Short of abuse and/or neglect, how a parent chooses to care for their child(ren) is not my business and I do not judge their decisions, even if they're the choices I would never make for my own children. 

OneToughMami
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Just an FYI that pink you used it really hard to read :-/ so I darkened it up....

Even those bad choices really are up to the parent. We have all made a parenting mistake, that's life. We are in no place to judge others even if we can't understand why they did it. I will never understand why people feed their children table foods at 2 months...but it's really not my business...

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM
"Bad choices" is subjective. If a parent chooses to FF over BF, nobody has the right to tell her it is a bad choice because nobody else is that baby's parent. Same with ERF, using a harness, co sleeping, etc.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dollwith4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Oh hell, I KNOW I have made mistakes. However, I have wonderful kids, in spite of them!

But, they are such wonderful kids because I did not listen to the people who tried tearing me down for those mistakes. My kids saw me 'man up' say yep, I screwed up and move on! They also have seen how I deal with 'haters'. Like Katt Williams says, 'If you only have 8 haters, what is wrong with you?' :)

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

But that's the thing. Yes, we're falliable. I'm not saying we aren't. But instead of respecting other parent's choices (especially around here), we tear each other down and make each other feel bad about the choices we do make as parents. I'm sure I've made quite a few mistakes as a parent and a person. I'm not saying I haven't. Why would I want to tear someone down over a difference of opinion? It's juvenile and as mother's it's asinine.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

~When the Government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right, is of no consequence!~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN