Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should Grandparents Have Rights To Their Grandchildren?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so, what rights?  If not, why not?

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
Susan0805
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM
No way! But i think parents should allow the kids to see there grandkids if at all possible! My mom is a drug addict who lies and makes bad decisions, she is allowed to see and know my children but she has never and will never be allowed alone with them, and she certainly has no rights! We have a prepared will to help ensure thattoo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms.sophsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Great grandparents? Grandparents through a step-parent maybe?

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

I think if the children are in danger with their parents, whether it be neglect or abuse. However, my sons have three sets of grandparents, how would you decide who has "more" rights over them? Also, would that include unborn grandchildren? Could that grandparent force a parent to keep a child they didn't want? I just think if you give too many people rights over one child you take away the parents rights.

But I did not read the other post, so I do not know where the idea stems off of fully, I guess.

No, this does not involve embryos or fetuses. 

How does a child have three sets of grandparents?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms.sophsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Totally agree. My mom wld pull some shit like this. She feels she has rights to DD and tht DD needs her.. long story. I don't even wanna b around her, why wld my DD need her? I'm a great mom on my own.

Quoting Kat31:

No. This may seem unfair in certain situations, but grandparents shouldn't have any special 'rights'. It's not their child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
NO NO NO

HELL NO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Good points. Too many people want a say in a child's life.

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

I think if the children are in danger with their parents, whether it be neglect or abuse. However, my sons have three sets of grandparents, how would you decide who has "more" rights over them? Also, would that include unborn grandchildren? Could that grandparent force a parent to keep a child they didn't want? I just think if you give too many people rights over one child you take away the parents rights.

But I did not read the other post, so I do not know where the idea stems off of fully, I guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM
HaHa! I like that!

Quoting illinoismommy83:

In-laws have the right to remain silent, everything they say can and will be used against them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM
These people scare me.

Quoting Carpy:

Not when their name is Ray and Kay Berryhill founders of Grandparents Rights in New Strenght (GRINS)

Google them and see what wonderful people they are, then I will tell you what they really are.  MONSTERS.

http://www.medhelp.org/amshc/ASHC745.HTM

G.R.I.N.S. (Grandparent Rights In New Strength)

National. 33 affiliated groups. Founded 1992.
To reunite family bonding and heritage, allowing the ancestry of children, grandparents and
relatives to continue after divorce and extraction from parents by the Family Social Services.
Works with religious, local, state and federal officials to adopt uniform laws allowing visitation.
Court &mediation support, phone help. Assistance in starting new groups. Write: G.R.I.N.S., 0689
CR5, Corunna, IN 46730. Call Ray and Kay Berryhill (219)281-2384.

< divorce separation grandparent family parenting >

I grew up with their extremely abused kids.  When the kids grew up and refused to let the monsters see their own kids he went on the roll with this org.  They sit as directors on a few grandparents rights counsels and even appeared on Oprah once. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nysa76
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I You know, I was terrified that since my son and his baby's mom broke up, I would end up having to fight to see my granddaughter.  I didn't.  Her mom is wonderful at letting me be a very active part in her life.

That said, in an ideal situation where both parents are there, in the child's life, I do not think any court should have any say to trump the parents in this area.  BUT if one parent is missing (passed away, a dead beat who took off, etc) I DO think that the grandparents should be allowed time with their grandchild IF they are not harmful emotionally or otherwise for the grandchild.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Each parent has parents...
And those parents are remarried.

Some have 4 sets.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

No, this does not involve embryos or fetuses. 

How does a child have three sets of grandparents?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Thank the good Lord noone has ever tried to keep my grands away from me.  They would have one helluva fight.

My bonus daughter knows that I let the girls do things she doesn't allow (such as drink a Dr Pepper or eat a candy bar) and her theory is "What happens at Gramma's stays at Gramma's".  I have learned through CM that I am super blessed to have 100% unfettered access to my grandbabies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN