Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should Grandparents Have Rights To Their Grandchildren?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so, what rights?  If not, why not?

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (31-40):
lordkanarven
by Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

In some states there are Grandparental Rights Laws. My grandfather took my uncles ex wife to court to have bi-weekly visits with my cousin and he got them since my uncle lives in a different state so my cousin had almost no contact with our side of the family until my grandfather got visitation rights

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM
My kids will never EVER know my biological mother. She is non-existent in their lives and our Will has it remaining that way. I dare her to fight for "rights".

She'd be in a pine box before I allowed that to happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Nobody that knows them, likes them.  Their son tried to kill the father to keep him from kidnapping his son, the daughter had to fight in court to deny them from seeing her kids and won.  Ask Natesmom about them, they are scary people.  She knew them long before me.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

These people scare me.

Quoting Carpy:

Not when their name is Ray and Kay Berryhill founders of Grandparents Rights in New Strenght (GRINS)

Google them and see what wonderful people they are, then I will tell you what they really are.  MONSTERS.

http://www.medhelp.org/amshc/ASHC745.HTM

G.R.I.N.S. (Grandparent Rights In New Strength)

National. 33 affiliated groups. Founded 1992.
To reunite family bonding and heritage, allowing the ancestry of children, grandparents and
relatives to continue after divorce and extraction from parents by the Family Social Services.
Works with religious, local, state and federal officials to adopt uniform laws allowing visitation.
Court &mediation support, phone help. Assistance in starting new groups. Write: G.R.I.N.S., 0689
CR5, Corunna, IN 46730. Call Ray and Kay Berryhill (219)281-2384.

< divorce separation grandparent family parenting >

I grew up with their extremely abused kids.  When the kids grew up and refused to let the monsters see their own kids he went on the roll with this org.  They sit as directors on a few grandparents rights counsels and even appeared on Oprah once. 

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM
I'm guessing you're a good Grandma though and that makes all the difference...

Quoting ThatTXMom:

Thank the good Lord noone has ever tried to keep my grands away from me.  They would have one helluva fight.

My bonus daughter knows that I let the girls do things she doesn't allow (such as drink a Dr Pepper or eat a candy bar) and her theory is "What happens at Gramma's stays at Gramma's".  I have learned through CM that I am super blessed to have 100% unfettered access to my grandbabies.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kleea1969
by Kristine on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

I think it is for the parents to decide, not the courts

I don't see this as working in all cases. There are some parents that don't make the right choices so shouldn't the courts then interfere? If a situation is not healthy for a child (taking a caring, loving, good, etc. grandparent away) then the child's interest should be looked out for, regardless of what the parent may want. I don't think this is a black and white area, it is very circumstantial. What if there is abuse By the parent in the home and the grandparent is advocating for their grandchild? Should we still just let the parents decide?
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM
I think this is sooooo wrong

Quoting lordkanarven:

In some states there are Grandparental Rights Laws. My grandfather took my uncles ex wife to court to have bi-weekly visits with my cousin and he got them since my uncle lives in a different state so my cousin had almost no contact with our side of the family until my grandfather got visitation rights

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Morally, I think they should have a right to be involved and be allowed to develop a relationship if appropriate (not by force, not if they have precluding issues).

I would hope that parents and children have a good relationship that they would want to have their own children involved in the lives of their parents and vice-versa, but sadly- society (especially the American society IMO, just isn't consistently this way.) I would even go so far as to say I would hope that generations value their elders enough to want them to be close in proximity and involved with the entire family... I know it's not reality for many.

Legally, it depends on numerous factors, and to what extent of rights. I do think they should have rights to care for the child and have legal responsibility if they are fit and able when the parent is not.

KC33
by Kim on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I am very close to all my grandchildren and I enjoy unlimited access to all of them, this is my reward for being a good parent  so in my mind there must be something terribly wrong with people when they are denied a relationship with their grandchildren and I trust that the parents have good reasons.

So No I do not support legal rights for grandparents.

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I have a friend that has a "legal right" t visit her Granddaughter because her son and DIL are split. I think that was taking it too far. AND while I love her and she is my best friend, does she really believe that the Granddaughter is going to have a good time with her "legal" visit when she sued the girls mother to obtain it. I think that Mommy will definitely have a few choice words about Grandma and what she did. 

However, I do think that Parents.....need to remember that those children came from them, they came from their parents and so...yes....I think that Grandparents are important and should be able to see their Grandchildren, but not because it is "legal", but because everyone realizes that it is an important relationship regardless of whether the parents are still together or not.

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

My girls think so!  =)  We are coloring eggs at 1:00 today and I am super excited.  They make me feel like a kid again. 

I should add, after reading a few of the responses, if there was ever abuse involved by grandparents to their own children, I can totally understand why someone would cut off the grandparents.  However, I would like to think that most Gramma's are like me.  I had great role models.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'm guessing you're a good Grandma though and that makes all the difference...

Quoting ThatTXMom:

Thank the good Lord noone has ever tried to keep my grands away from me.  They would have one helluva fight.

My bonus daughter knows that I let the girls do things she doesn't allow (such as drink a Dr Pepper or eat a candy bar) and her theory is "What happens at Gramma's stays at Gramma's".  I have learned through CM that I am super blessed to have 100% unfettered access to my grandbabies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)