Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should Grandparents Have Rights To Their Grandchildren?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so, what rights?  If not, why not?

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (41-50):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Yes Ma'am.

My inlaws (Nana & Papa) have unlimited access as does my Dad & his wife (Gampaw & Gammaw)

Quoting KC33:

I am very close to all my grandchildren and I enjoy unlimited access to all of them, this is my reward for being a good parent  so in my mind there must be something terribly wrong with people when they are denied a relationship with their grandchildren and I trust that the parents have good reasons.

So No I do not support legal rights for grandparents.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Can I say yes AND no.

I don't think parents should keep their children away from the grandparents over petty grievances or divorce.

My Mom made sure we saw my paternal grandparents on a very regular basis after she and my dad divorced.  We never saw my dad.  Mom could have been a bitch and kept us from them...instead knowing what wonderful people they were and what value we would gain from it...she made sure we were able to develope relationships with them.

I do not like to see the courts involved here.  I am just on the fence because parents are sometimes too childish to do the right thing.

dollwith4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Do they have rights over the government? YES!

Do they ever have rights over the parents? HELL NO! 

Let me explain, cause I m sure someone will not get it. If the courts are involved for some reason and the kids are being taken and the grandparents want them. The grandparents get them before they go to the system.....

However, the grndparents decide they want more rights then the PARENTS allow, hell no! There is no one that should over ride the parents unless there is abuse involved.

~When the Government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right, is of no consequence!~

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM
My MIL is an amazing Nana to my kids so they are not missin out on that relationship.

But my Bio Mom was abusive and is Bi-Polar as well as NPD... So my children will never be around her. I won't allow her to subject them to her negativity or abuse.

Quoting ThatTXMom:

My girls think so!  =)  We are coloring eggs at 1:00 today and I am super excited.  They make me feel like a kid again. 

I should add, after reading a few of the responses, if there was ever abuse involved by grandparents to their own children, I can totally understand why someone would cut off the grandparents.  However, I would like to think that most Gramma's are like me.  I had great role models.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'm guessing you're a good Grandma though and that makes all the difference...

Quoting ThatTXMom:

Thank the good Lord noone has ever tried to keep my grands away from me.  They would have one helluva fight.

My bonus daughter knows that I let the girls do things she doesn't allow (such as drink a Dr Pepper or eat a candy bar) and her theory is "What happens at Gramma's stays at Gramma's".  I have learned through CM that I am super blessed to have 100% unfettered access to my grandbabies.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lordkanarven
by Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

It's VERY situational and hard to got rights like my grandfather did. I only know how it works in my state but the child has to be over 13 and request to see his grandparent and has been denied the right to see them and has documentation of requesting it. It's a lot more about the right of the child to see their family than the right of the grandparent it's just that the grandparent is the one that has to take the legal action. I have no idea how it works in other states or if any other states even have laws like this.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I think this is sooooo wrong

Quoting lordkanarven:

In some states there are Grandparental Rights Laws. My grandfather took my uncles ex wife to court to have bi-weekly visits with my cousin and he got them since my uncle lives in a different state so my cousin had almost no contact with our side of the family until my grandfather got visitation rights

.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Our kids technically have 4 sets of grandparents because DH and I both come from divorced parents ourselves.  So our kids have Dh's mom, My mom and her husband, Dh's Dad and his wife, and my dad. 

No grandparents should not have any kind of legal rights so long as the parents are not in any kind of legal trouble and alive.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting futureshock:

Divorce and remarriage

Wouldn't that be grandparents and step grandparents?  Children don't have 3 or 4 parents, right?

dollwith4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

We kind of have  similiar situation. My IL's, wonderful!

My mother, a little on the controling side and kinda wacko. She was banned from my house for a year. Hubby told her if she even came on to the property the cops would be called. Fortunatly we got it all worked out and she is allowed back. 

Since not all parents should be parents, that has got to be extended....not all grandparents should be either.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

My MIL is an amazing Nana to my kids so they are not missin out on that relationship.

But my Bio Mom was abusive and is Bi-Polar as well as NPD... So my children will never be around her. I won't allow her to subject them to her negativity or abuse.

Quoting ThatTXMom:

My girls think so!  =)  We are coloring eggs at 1:00 today and I am super excited.  They make me feel like a kid again. 

I should add, after reading a few of the responses, if there was ever abuse involved by grandparents to their own children, I can totally understand why someone would cut off the grandparents.  However, I would like to think that most Gramma's are like me.  I had great role models.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'm guessing you're a good Grandma though and that makes all the difference...

Quoting ThatTXMom:

Thank the good Lord noone has ever tried to keep my grands away from me.  They would have one helluva fight.

My bonus daughter knows that I let the girls do things she doesn't allow (such as drink a Dr Pepper or eat a candy bar) and her theory is "What happens at Gramma's stays at Gramma's".  I have learned through CM that I am super blessed to have 100% unfettered access to my grandbabies.

~When the Government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right, is of no consequence!~

lordkanarven
by Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Also shes been under investigation by CPS several times, I'm about 75% sure the parents of parent in this case) has to be deemed unfit (not enough for them to get fully taken away) for the grandparents to have any sort of right to custody. Its REALLY hard to get these rights as it should be

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I think this is sooooo wrong

Quoting lordkanarven:

In some states there are Grandparental Rights Laws. My grandfather took my uncles ex wife to court to have bi-weekly visits with my cousin and he got them since my uncle lives in a different state so my cousin had almost no contact with our side of the family until my grandfather got visitation rights

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I have seen the words automatic rights, no grandparents should not have automatic rights but there are circumstances when they should and in many cases do have rights.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

lga1965
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I guess I don't see where there are 'rights' involved in family dynamics. it would depend on the people,don't you think?I guess if grandparents are drug dealers or criminals, whatever,then the grandkids should not be spending time with them. But----this seems a little strange. "rights" ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)