Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Everything is always about money with conservatives.

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM
  • 17 Replies

Especially when it comes to CAFE standards for mandatory gas milage.

Everyone should be forced to drive high milage cars, even though those CAFE standards are responsible for the death of about 2,000 people a year along with between 13,000 and 26,000 additional incapacitating injuries and up to 197,000 additional overall injuries according to The National Academy of Sciences.

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA427.html

When car companies get hit with higher CAFE standards, they have to try their best to make cars that people want to buy, while complying with government regulations. They don't do that by creating some type of super fuel especially when the timeline to increase standards is so tight.  They do that by making their cars lighter, since the obvious is that lighter cars get better milage.

An analysis done by USA Today, (no link, I have the old article right in front of me) that CAFE killed an additional 46,000 people, and that was just through 1999.

Another study done byRobert Crandall of The Brookings Institute and John Graham of the Harvard School of Public Health also found CAFE standards to be responsible for tens of thousands of deaths.

They reported "The negative relationship between weight and occupant fatality risk is one of the most secure findings in the safety literature".

So can we conclude that progressives put their agenda before the safety of drivers?

And just to note, the local foundry where I used to work, was saved from the massive foundry closings due to China, because they produced safety critical, rocker arms and steering axles.  Nobody wanted to trust safety critical to the Chinese.  Now they are being forced to risk safety critical to progressive agenda.

by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM
This is unfortunate, but why is it a conservative vs ? (I'm guessing liberals)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM

No it is conservative v progressive.  And Bush (progressive as well) signed a CAFE standard bill as well.  Obama doubled down on it.

Quoting Stephanie329:

This is unfortunate, but why is it a conservative vs ? (I'm guessing liberals)?

Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I'm utterly confused and OP, it may have nothing to do with what you've written. I'm on an in & out type of posting here, getting ready to go GET READY for church. lol

I'm a Conservative and we have a big ol' truck that costs us about $135 to fill-up the gas tank every few weeks if not less.

I am truly trying to understand the correlation you're making here. Basically we Conservatives want the rest of the people to suffer at the gas pump?

_Kissy_
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Seems they are only fiscally responsible when their not in the white house
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM
3 moms liked this

My interpretation of this,

No, conservatives want people to still be alive by the time they get to the gas pump.

Liberals want people in smaller cars that don't guzzle gas even though many more are being killed because of it.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I'm utterly confused and OP, it may have nothing to do with what you've written. I'm on an in & out type of posting here, getting ready to go GET READY for church. lol

I'm a Conservative and we have a big ol' truck that costs us about $135 to fill-up the gas tank every few weeks if not less.

I am truly trying to understand the correlation you're making here. Basically we Conservatives want the rest of the people to suffer at the gas pump?

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM
4 moms liked this

Yes, OP even on Easter Sunday, the progressives have anm evil agenda and all conservatives have Jesus and others in their hearts.

It's all or nothing-

Robama 2012-

GLWerth
by Gina on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM
5 moms liked this

You're really reaching today, Carpy.

Maybe you need to double up on your meds.

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Maybe people shouldn't drive like asshats? 

In all seriousness, though, I highly doubt that those who are wanting higher MPG standards are doing so in hopes that more people will be killed, or that they don't care if more people are killed. I don't completely agree with forcing all car companies to ensure that their cars all get 100mpg or anything. But I do see the need to do something in order to help alleviate the burden at the pump. Everyone seems to have a different answer as to what that something is. 

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

How am I reaching?  Can you show me where my post is wrong?

Quoting GLWerth:

lga1965
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Quoting GLWerth:

Yeah.;-)

So what else is new? Its always like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN