Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Shocking New Study Ties Conservatism To 'Low-Effort' Thinking

Posted by   + Show Post

Shocking New Study Ties Conservatism To 'Low-Effort' Thinking

Conservative Politics, 'Low-Effort' Thinking Linked In New Study

Conservatives Lowthought

Conservatives and liberals don't seem to agree about much, and they might not agree about recent studies linking conservatism to low intelligence and "low-effort" thinking.

As The Huffington Post reported in February, a study published in the journal "Psychological Science" showed that children who score low on intelligence tests gravitate toward socially conservative political views in adulthood--perhaps because conservative ideologies stress "structure and order" that make it easier to understand a complicated world.

Ouch.

And now there's the new study linking conservative ideologies to "low-effort" thinking.

"People endorse conservative ideology more when they have to give a first or fast response," the study's lead author, University of Arkansas psychologist Dr. Scott Eidelman, said in a written statement released by the university.

Does the finding suggest that conservatives are lazy thinkers?

"Not quite," Dr. Eidelman told The Huffington Post in an email. "Our research shows that low-effort thought promotes political conservatism, not that political conservatives use low-effort thinking."

For the study, a team of psychologists led by Dr. Eidelman asked people about their political viewpoints in a bar and in a laboratory setting.

Bar patrons were asked about social issues before blowing into a Breathalyzer. As it turned out, the political viewpoints of patrons with high blood alcohol levels were more likely to be conservative than were those of patrons whose blood alcohol levels were low.

But it wasn't just the alcohol talking, according to the statement. When the researchers conducted similar interviews in the lab, they found that people who were asked to evaluate political ideas quickly or while distracted were more likely to express conservative viewpoints.

"Keeping people from thinking too much...or just asking them to deliberate or consider information in a cursory manner can impact people's political attitudes, and in a way that consistently promotes political conservatism," Dr. Eidelman said in the email.

The study was published online in the journal "Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin."

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Replies (31-40):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

lol! Seems to say it all, doesn't it?

Quoting katy_kay08:

samurai_chica
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah....but when studies are done by a few different scientists, and all the different studies have the same conclusion....maybe they're onto something.

Quoting babydoll845:

Again studies wrote be people do I need to say more! Studies are written by PEOPLE and they change all the time depending on who writes them! HOW OFTEN HAVE YOU HEARD SOMETHING IS GOOD FOR YOU THEN HEARD LATER IT CAUSES CANCER! I KNOW IM MORE INTELLIGENT THEN ALOT OF PEOPLE! AND YET AGAIN YOU HELP ME TO PROVE MY POINT!!

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

LOLOLOL!

Oh my lord. And without even trying probably.

Quoting babydoll845:

Do you believe everything some low grade journalist writes oh yea you probably do again with your bogus reports yawn you bore me!

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Also in bad need of an editor

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting babydoll845:

You must believe everything you read especially some low grade want to be journalist now how intelligent does that make you? Hunh If someone wrote the world is sinking would you believe that to? never mind you probably would! I wonder who is really less intelligent Im going to go with the one who believes everything they hear all the hype and mumbo jumbo! I can write things to it doesnt mean they are true!

This is a great example of the findings of the study!!!

The journalist did not conduct the study.  lol.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
This thread proves it. Look at the responses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Without reading the article myself, I cannot answer your questions... but I also do not automatically dismiss it.  I tend to agree with the results - people tend to be conservative in situations where they have to think fast or are distracted.  I also don't look at this study as negative or insulting to someone who might call herself a conservative.  Conservative can also be construed as cautious.  

What are your qualifications that I should give weight to your response to never take any of these studies seriously?  (No snark intended - I'm genuinely curious.)

Quoting katzmeow726:

A degree doesn't make a study any more valid. Can the study be repeated with the same results? What groups did they sample. Is there any chance they manipulated who they used to achieve desired results?

Studies, these days, are often designed to show a desired result. Ones like this, in particular, should not really be taken seriously

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting katzmeow726:

I never take any of these studies seriously. No one should

Okay.  I'm going to take your word over this guy's - Scott Eidelman.

Sherri

Imagine.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM
5 moms liked this

OMG the responses to this thread are cracking me up.  They prove the article's point so well it's comical.

BoysManDog
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I don't think lefties should crow quite so loudly about the supposed lack of  "deep thinking" of conservatives.  Of course, you won't find conservatives engaged in such "intellectual" behavior as displayed in these photos. 

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM
To be honest, none. A few statistics courses and an almost complete degree in psych. But my response is not just directed at this.study, but all studies

Quoting PurdueMom:

Without reading the article myself, I cannot answer your questions... but I also do not automatically dismiss it.  I tend to agree with the results - people tend to be conservative in situations where they have to think fast or are distracted.  I also don't look at this study as negative or insulting to someone who might call herself a conservative.  Conservative can also be construed as cautious.  

What are your qualifications that I should give weight to your response to never take any of these studies seriously?  (No snark intended - I'm genuinely curious.)

Quoting katzmeow726:

A degree doesn't make a study any more valid. Can the study be repeated with the same results? What groups did they sample. Is there any chance they manipulated who they used to achieve desired results?

Studies, these days, are often designed to show a desired result. Ones like this, in particular, should not really be taken seriously

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Then you are smart enough to know never to say "never".  ; )

Quoting katzmeow726:

To be honest, none. A few statistics courses and an almost complete degree in psych. But my response is not just directed at this.study, but all studies

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Sherri

Imagine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN