Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why are we so scared of teaching our children about sex?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM
  • 134 Replies
1 mom liked this

Tennessee lawmakers added language to the state's abstinence-only sex education curriculum that warns against "gateway sexual activity."

Although Senate Bill 3310 does not specifically define what "gateway sexual activity" comprises, many have interpreted the phrase to include discouragement of anything that has potential to lead to sex -- including kissing, hand-holding and cuddling.

The bill is a response to recent controversies over sex-ed lessons in some Tennessee school districts that mentioned alternatives to sexual intercourse, according to The Tennessean. A 2009 Youth Risk Behavior study found that 61 percent of Memphis City high school and 27 percent of middle school students have had sex -- higher than the national average, according to WMC-TV.

"'Abstinence' means from all of these activities, and we want to promote that," Republican state Sen. Jack Johnson, the bill's sponsor, told The Tennessean. "What we do want to communicate to the kids is that the best choice is abstinence."

The bill would require a "family life education curriculum" that prohibits the promotion of contraception and "any gateway sexual activity or health message that encourages students to experiment with non-coital sexual activity."

Much like a bill that passed through the Utah state legislature last month, the Tennessee proposal notes that schools should "exclusively and emphatically promote sexual risk avoidance through abstinence, regardless of a student's current or prior sexual experience." It also requires that students are taught the "physical, social, emotional, psychological, economic and educational consequences of non-marital sexual activity."

The proposal also creates legal penalties for teachers who go beyond the curriculum to encourage students in ways aside from abstinence. Parents or legal guardians would "have a cause of action against the instructor or organization for actual damages."

Planned Parenthood Director of Education Elokin CaPese told WMC-TV that the bill is broad and unrealistic. Its prohibition of "gateway sexual activity" demonstrations would include health education models, she said.

"It's not detailed enough in a health-based way," CaPese said.

Parents objected two years ago when students at a Nashville high school were taught how to apply a condom, using a plastic model, according to WBIR.

A report released last week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that schools have made little progress in recent years in teaching students about preventing sexually transmitted diseases and unplanned pregnancies. Among the country's middle schools, 11 states saw drops in the percentage of public schools teaching recommended topics between 2008 and 2010. No states saw increases. Among high schools, one state saw a drop in the percentage of schools teaching suggested topics, and two states saw increases.

Studies have found that comprehensive sex education more effectively delays sexual intercourse among youth and reduces teen pregnancy at a greater rate than abstinence-only education. Still, a 2010 study published in the journal Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine found that abstinence education can delay sex among teens.

This is here, in my state. Why are we so scared to teach our children about sex, even when studies tend to show that those who are educated about their options tend to make better decisions? Don't we want our children to be knowledgable on this topic, whether they wait for marriage or not. I mean, eventually most people do have sex. How is it better for them to remain ignorant on a topic that is not only part of human nature and could potentially have such a huge impact on their lives?

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Bump
HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM
When I took sex Ed there was no talk of sex, it was more about human bodies not the act of sex. My kids haven't taken sex Ed yet but we've talked about it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I do agree that abstinence is best, but since sex is such a huge part of human nature, we should be educated on it. Even worse, imposing such unrealistic standards on teenagers with raging hormones is setting them up to fail.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM
8 moms liked this

Gateway sexual activity? 

LMAO

Oh dear, the Puritans are alive and well and living in the legislature.

mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I know. I heard about this because they were making fun of it on the sports talk radio.

Quoting romalove:

Gateway sexual activity? 

LMAO

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM
3 moms liked this

government small enough to fit into your uterus. for the constant monitoring. 

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Gateway sexual activity? 

LMAO

You know what's hilarious. In the small town i went to high school in they taught full sex ed, contraception, how to use a condom correctly, stds, the works. It was also an extremelly religious area.

The funny part, it was us non-Christian teens who made it through graduation still virgins, and 2 of the most religious girls who ended up pregnant. Really makes you think.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting romalove:

Gateway sexual activity? 

LMAO

You know what's hilarious. In the small town i went to high school in they taught full sex ed, contraception, how to use a condom correctly, stds, the works. It was also an extremelly religious area.

The funny part, it was us non-Christian teens who made it through graduation still virgins, and 2 of the most religious girls who ended up pregnant. Really makes you think.

I only knew one girl who got pregnant in high school, and she came from a very devout Irish Catholic family.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting romalove:

Gateway sexual activity? 

LMAO

I only knew one girl who got pregnant in high school, and she came from a very devout Irish Catholic family.

I just think it's ridiculous that these politicians keep making and passing laws enforcing the abstinence only crap when it's been proven over and over to actually RAISE the rates of teen stds and pregnancies.  It's starting to seem like they WANT things to get worse rather than better.

mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM

They do. They want it to get worse until it gets out of control so they can impose the theocracy so we all adhere the code of morals and behavior they approve of.

Quoting Arroree:

I just think it's ridiculous that these politicians keep making and passing laws enforcing the abstinence only crap when it's been proven over and over to actually RAISE the rates of teen stds and pregnancies.  It's starting to seem like they WANT things to get worse rather than better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN