Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should Children handle guns

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM
  • 76 Replies

By Roy Denish

One child is killed every three hours, no background checks against those buying weapons in 33 states

150 Americans shot every day, 83 are killed every day.

West Field, MA October 26th 2008 10.53 am: The weather was overcast, a slight breeze swept across the open fields, a lively third-grader, son of a medical director walked past his father clutching an Israeli made micro Uzi pistolet automatique and aimes the gun at a pile of pumpkins, little knowing that he would not live another day to see the day- light.

Christopher Bizilj, the eight year old was killed due to a gun-shot injury that was caused by the weapon flipping backwards as soon as the trigger was released. The Muzzle velocity of an UZI is estimated to be 400 meter per second.

The misadventure occurred at the annual machine gun shoot and fire arms expo, organized by Westfield Sportsman Club. The organizers of the event bragged on their website “age is not limited nor licensed required” and the cost was just $ 5.00 to have “fun”

The death sparked a heated debate among politicians in the Capitol Hill. The anti-trigger happy supporters took law-makers to the task, petitions poured in, vigil services and demonstrations were held and newspapers were flooded with letters. But the pro-gun advocates came firing their cylinders to prevent the administration passing any new laws.

The obituary notice of Christopher Bizilj

Christopher Karol Bizilj, 8, passed away unexpectedly on Sunday (October 26, 2008) at Bay State Medical Center, Springfield, MA. Christopher was always upbeat, smiling, and loved life. He was always looking forward to his next adventure. His big brother was his closest and most influential friend. Christopher is survived by his loving parents, Doctor Charles and Suzanne Bizilj; his brother and best friend, Colin Bizilj. Burial will be private and at the convenience of the family. There are no calling hours. Memorial donations may be made to the Ashford School, 440 Westford Rd., Ashford, CT 06278. Donations will be used for new computer technology at the school. Christopher’s parents, Charles and Suzanne, ask that you celebrate his brilliant but short life, and the positive impact that he had on so many people.

Following the death, the club prohibited anyone under the age of eight handling a gun or a bow. But the law seems to apply only to one state. Just three weeks ago in Nevada at a popular tourist shooting range, the Machine Gun Vegas; a seven year old child was seen target-shooting armed with a German made Heckler & Koch assault rifle. The kid was being taught the finer points by none other than Jackie Carrizosa, the former United States naval officer, now an instructor at the MGV.

Caption: The “Bad Ass Chick”, Jackie Carrizosa seen here with the “prepubescent” seven year old armed with the German made assault rifle, HK416, at the Machine Gun Vegas Shooting Range in Las Vegas. Picture posted on the Face book by Michael Nixon, the father of the boy.

The controversial photograph appeared on the MGV’s Face book page. The picture shows, the tattooed beauty nick named as “bad ass chick”, by Singer Robyn Rihanna instructing the “prepubescent” boy how to handle the seven pound rifle that uses a detachable magazine. The weapon with 850 rounds per minute cycle is made by the German arms maker with the collaboration of US army’s Delta Force (DF)

“Our whole family had an awesome time – our 7 year old son had a “blast”. Great staff and kickass guns. Thanks MGV!” Michael Nixon, the father of the seven year old posted on MGV’s Face book page.

The lingering question among the anti-gun advocates is whether children under the age of 18 should be permitted into shooting ranges. According to the Statistics by a non-profit organization, the Stop Hand Gun Violence, eighty three Americans are killed every day, eight children are maimed every day or one child  is killed every three hours, more than 150 Americans shot every day and in 33 states there are no background checks against those buying guns. Food for thought: the national Rifle Association donated $ 6.7 million to congress in 2010.

The gun-wielding Carrizosa shot into the lime light after she was drafted as a weapon- trainer for Singer Rihanna  for the movie, the Battleship, the movie to be released in may this year.  Her lady luck smiled on her when the Director Peter Berg spotted her playing football with the US Navy.

However, the six million dollar question is whether States would ban under-age children handling guns or visiting shooting ranges especially when gun-related killings and injuries are mounting high.

The author is a freelance writer. Any questions contact roydenish@gmail.com

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
singlemom1208
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM
4 moms liked this
I think if you're going to have guns in the house, your children should know about fun safety. But, don't be an idiot and give them a gun to powerful to handle. What about a bb or airsoft gun?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM
6 moms liked this

If they are going to be around guns in any capacity, they should learn gun safety as soon as possible. First thing to learn- it is a weapon. It can be used to kill. It is NEVER a toy.

OkieMom2673
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My boys have shot every gun we have. They know gun safety, it was a must. They have shot on ranges and at our house. But it has always been done in a safety first manner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I eliminate this problem by not having a gun in my home. 

If you want one, rock on. I just figure not having one is better than all the safety courses the NRA can offer. No fear of an accidental shooting when there isn't a gun to shoot.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM
5 moms liked this

I think the reason so many kids get shot by guns is because their parents thought they shouldn't be handling them and so didn't teach them proper gun safety.  My son is getting his first bb gun for his 6th birthday this year.  My husband will be teaching him the proper way to handle it, how to clean it, how to make sure there are no bullets in it, etc etc etc.  When he is 7 we plan to get him his first hunting rifle, and he will learn how to shoot so that he can hunt with dad at 8.  That was basically the same track my husband was raised on, and so we're sort of following along. 

I do, however, think that it's important that kids are only allowed to handle guns they are big enough to handle.  For instance, while Luke would be capable of shooting a bb gun by himself, we would never dream of handing him the 30-aught 6.  That thing is so powerful it would probably land him on his back 50 feet from where he shot.

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Where we live our lives and the way we live ours there is no need for my children to handle guns. Different people, different places might feel differently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chris030406
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM
My boys have all fired weapons with both DH and myself present (with the exception of one stupid BIL, but even so, BIL is an adult who is not new to the gun world). We are gun owners, so it is important that our children know gun safety. However, the guns are not accessible by the boys. They have never been given permission to even touch one without one of present. My DH has extensive law enforcement training, including SWAT, so I am confident that he can keep our boys safe while they're shooting. But I would never, ever just allow my child to take a gun out by himself. It is irresponsible on soooooo many levels!

The first child who was killed is a result of a horrible accident that could've been prevented. The second child, who was vacationing in Vegas at a shooting range, was under constant supervision by seasoned professionals. I don't see a problem with it.
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM

How sad :(

krysstizzle
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I think parents shouldn't be idiots. Why would you let your 8 year old shoot a gun like that? I own guns, and my kids know gun safety. My 10 year old has recently been allowed to shoot a bb gun, which he has been instructed to handle just as if it were a rifle, and with strict supervision. My 8 year old is not allowed to shoot or handle any type yet, but he understands the basic safety rules. Every gun is treated as if it were loaded, always. The one gun I have in my house is kept locked away, as are the guns in my grandparents' house.

The kids are only allowed around guns when they are with me or my grandfather. I was always wary of my step-dad, who is a gun fanatic, and does know gun safety, but who I think lacks common sense. He was never allowed to have guns out around my kids. And guess what? He just got out of the hospital after shooting himself in the leg.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Agreed.

Make guns as boring as possible.  Make them learn to clean the gun, maintain it, learn the parts by name...even a little bit of the gun's history.  And once old enough, they can shoot it at a range, as long as the kick or recoil isn't too hard to handle.  They need to pull a trigger in a safe, controlled area, to understand the power behind what they are holding.

The kids who accidentally shoot or are shot, are often the ones who aren't taught gun safetey, or their parents didn't teach them, breeding curiosity.  And the parents are often at fault for not keeping the guns in a safe out of the way place...because even with all the teaching, a kid will still get curious, or want to show it off.

Quoting mandaday:

If they are going to be around guns in any capacity, they should learn gun safety as soon as possible. First thing to learn- it is a weapon. It can be used to kill. It is NEVER a toy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN