Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

By Roy Denish

One child is killed every three hours, no background checks against those buying weapons in 33 states

150 Americans shot every day, 83 are killed every day.

West Field, MA October 26th 2008 10.53 am: The weather was overcast, a slight breeze swept across the open fields, a lively third-grader, son of a medical director walked past his father clutching an Israeli made micro Uzi pistolet automatique and aimes the gun at a pile of pumpkins, little knowing that he would not live another day to see the day- light.

Christopher Bizilj, the eight year old was killed due to a gun-shot injury that was caused by the weapon flipping backwards as soon as the trigger was released. The Muzzle velocity of an UZI is estimated to be 400 meter per second.

The misadventure occurred at the annual machine gun shoot and fire arms expo, organized by Westfield Sportsman Club. The organizers of the event bragged on their website “age is not limited nor licensed required” and the cost was just $ 5.00 to have “fun”

The death sparked a heated debate among politicians in the Capitol Hill. The anti-trigger happy supporters took law-makers to the task, petitions poured in, vigil services and demonstrations were held and newspapers were flooded with letters. But the pro-gun advocates came firing their cylinders to prevent the administration passing any new laws.

The obituary notice of Christopher Bizilj

Christopher Karol Bizilj, 8, passed away unexpectedly on Sunday (October 26, 2008) at Bay State Medical Center, Springfield, MA. Christopher was always upbeat, smiling, and loved life. He was always looking forward to his next adventure. His big brother was his closest and most influential friend. Christopher is survived by his loving parents, Doctor Charles and Suzanne Bizilj; his brother and best friend, Colin Bizilj. Burial will be private and at the convenience of the family. There are no calling hours. Memorial donations may be made to the Ashford School, 440 Westford Rd., Ashford, CT 06278. Donations will be used for new computer technology at the school. Christopher’s parents, Charles and Suzanne, ask that you celebrate his brilliant but short life, and the positive impact that he had on so many people.

Following the death, the club prohibited anyone under the age of eight handling a gun or a bow. But the law seems to apply only to one state. Just three weeks ago in Nevada at a popular tourist shooting range, the Machine Gun Vegas; a seven year old child was seen target-shooting armed with a German made Heckler & Koch assault rifle. The kid was being taught the finer points by none other than Jackie Carrizosa, the former United States naval officer, now an instructor at the MGV.

Caption: The “Bad Ass Chick”, Jackie Carrizosa seen here with the “prepubescent” seven year old armed with the German made assault rifle, HK416, at the Machine Gun Vegas Shooting Range in Las Vegas. Picture posted on the Face book by Michael Nixon, the father of the boy.

The controversial photograph appeared on the MGV’s Face book page. The picture shows, the tattooed beauty nick named as “bad ass chick”, by Singer Robyn Rihanna instructing the “prepubescent” boy how to handle the seven pound rifle that uses a detachable magazine. The weapon with 850 rounds per minute cycle is made by the German arms maker with the collaboration of US army’s Delta Force (DF)

“Our whole family had an awesome time – our 7 year old son had a “blast”. Great staff and kickass guns. Thanks MGV!” Michael Nixon, the father of the seven year old posted on MGV’s Face book page.

The lingering question among the anti-gun advocates is whether children under the age of 18 should be permitted into shooting ranges. According to the Statistics by a non-profit organization, the Stop Hand Gun Violence, eighty three Americans are killed every day, eight children are maimed every day or one child  is killed every three hours, more than 150 Americans shot every day and in 33 states there are no background checks against those buying guns. Food for thought: the national Rifle Association donated $ 6.7 million to congress in 2010.

The gun-wielding Carrizosa shot into the lime light after she was drafted as a weapon- trainer for Singer Rihanna  for the movie, the Battleship, the movie to be released in may this year.  Her lady luck smiled on her when the Director Peter Berg spotted her playing football with the US Navy.

However, the six million dollar question is whether States would ban under-age children handling guns or visiting shooting ranges especially when gun-related killings and injuries are mounting high.

The author is a freelance writer. Any questions contact roydenish@gmail.com

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
chotovec82
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel that parenting is an individual journey. What others may like or may not like is their opinion; however, no one has right to tell me what to do with mine as long as I am not hurting them, neglecting them or starving them. We are a pro gun family and our children will learn how to handle a gun. Gun safety is a good lesson for anyone. 

annaica
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM
I know ppl who are fine with their young children using firearms. I am not one of them. My son at 8 years old is allowed to use a bb gun with adult supervision but will be 12 or maybe 14 before ever holding any other type of gun.
my hubby has his guns at his parents house in a metal locked safe but i would feel ok with them being here, we just don't have room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lordkanarven
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM

it really depends on the child, the age of the child and the situation/cultural environment they live in. A 12 year old boy in the Appalachians whose family get a large portion of there food by hunting wild game should probably learn how to handle a gun, an 8 year old boy in southern california whose parents shot at whole foods doesn't need to know how to use a gun, and a little one of any age in a high crime area should have no access to weapons of any kind. 

tifbrown
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM

We have guns, both hand guns and rifles. Our girls are 2 and 3 and know about them and know not to touch them. When they are 10, they get to go with mommy and daddy to the range and learn proper handling and safety. Until then they are locked up and stored above and beyond government regulation.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Quoting antigunner:

However, the six million dollar question is whether States would ban under-age children handling guns or visiting shooting ranges especially when gun-related killings and injuries are mounting high.

Yes underage children should be allowed in shooting ranges.  We started taking our kids to the range when they were 3.  We would take them to the plinking range to shoot our youth .22. It is very ggod practice.  We have never made guns taboo.  Of course we also do not let them handle guns alone that are too big for them.  If our kids ask to use a gun then we help them to try it out.  When one of my boys was 6 he asked to fire a handgun.  My husband helped him.  He pulled the trigger once and was done.  He has never asked again.  But he knows what it feels like.

I know this does not work for all families but it works for ours.

NOW to discuss the stats that are included in the article.

Quote:

eighty three Americans are killed every day, eight children are maimed every day or one child is killed every three hours, more than 150 Americans shot every day and in 33 states there are no background checks against those buying guns.

Here is a little background on stats.

Did you know that when they talk about death by fiream they include, self-defense, murder, accidents, suicide, and cop shootings?  So anyone killed with a gun is lumpedinto one big glorious category.  That is very mis-leading.

Also, did you know that anyone under the age of 18 is considered a child?  So those teen age gang bangers outthere shooting each other are included in all of these stats.  Interesting don't you think?

So I do not take all of those stats that they list at face value.

There are many kids and teens that use the ranges to practice for their competitions that they participate in.  Why would someone tae that away from them.

Is the plan to now to ban children from all places and activities where they could possibly get hurt?

JamesMom714
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Agreed!
Heck I don't even shoot out 30-06 as that thing is a beast! But we will teach our son once he is old enough about gun safety and how to shoot (he's not even 2 yet).
We will likely start with a child size .22 rifle.

Quoting kailu1835:

I think the reason so many kids get shot by guns is because their parents thought they shouldn't be handling them and so didn't teach them proper gun safety.  My son is getting his first bb gun for his 6th birthday this year.  My husband will be teaching him the proper way to handle it, how to clean it, how to make sure there are no bullets in it, etc etc etc.  When he is 7 we plan to get him his first hunting rifle, and he will learn how to shoot so that he can hunt with dad at 8.  That was basically the same track my husband was raised on, and so we're sort of following along. 

I do, however, think that it's important that kids are only allowed to handle guns they are big enough to handle.  For instance, while Luke would be capable of shooting a bb gun by himself, we would never dream of handing him the 30-aught 6.  That thing is so powerful it would probably land him on his back 50 feet from where he shot.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Bump for later

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I don't think that 7 year olds should be toting machine guns, but to travel abroad, it seems other countries see nothing wrong with that. 

We are too exposed to statistics in our country.  Too many people don't believe they can be one and some get too overly cautious and forget that it is still important to educate children about gun safety. 

Tanya93
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM

If there parents want to allow them to learn how to use them.   Why shouldn't parents be able to teach them how to handle them?

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

I think the reason so many kids get shot by guns is because their parents thought they shouldn't be handling them and so didn't teach them proper gun safety.  My son is getting his first bb gun for his 6th birthday this year.  My husband will be teaching him the proper way to handle it, how to clean it, how to make sure there are no bullets in it, etc etc etc.  When he is 7 we plan to get him his first hunting rifle, and he will learn how to shoot so that he can hunt with dad at 8.  That was basically the same track my husband was raised on, and so we're sort of following along. 

I do, however, think that it's important that kids are only allowed to handle guns they are big enough to handle.  For instance, while Luke would be capable of shooting a bb gun by himself, we would never dream of handing him the 30-aught 6.  That thing is so powerful it would probably land him on his back 50 feet from where he shot.

Our kids have had the opportunity to shoot a number of different kinds of guns.  The .22 is their favorite.  And they have shot them at different ages.  Of course we are right beside them or hovering over them with our hands on the gun.  So while we do not just hand the gun over to them to fire on their own we do give them opportunities.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)