Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another Highly Influential Republican Publicly Treats A Woman Like Something He Accidentally Stepped In

Posted by   + Show Post

Another Highly Influential Republican Publicly Treats A Woman Like Something He Accidentally Stepped In (VIDEO)

April 12, 2012
By

It’s almost getting tedious. Here’s the scenario: a very high-profile Republican is asked a question by a female constituent. He gives his non-answer and when pressed for a better answer, he becomes condescending and contemptuous. Yeah, I know. We’ve heard that story before. How about this? They’re both from a southern state. Not specific enough? Okay the politician was a former ALEC chair (you know, the organization that drafts pretty much every piece [of women-hating, gay-hating, science-hating, African-American-boys-wearing-hoods-hating] GOP legislation), current ALEC board member and he’s the current Speaker of Virginia’s House of Delegates.

His name is William Howell and the woman was Anna Scholl, who is the executive director of ProgressVA. The organization reported on the amount of money that the Virginia House is spending to send legislators to ALEC conferences and meetings, presumably to take their marching orders. The amount over the last decade was $232,000, according to the report.

Scholl confronted Howell with the findings and he told her it was “full of half-truths or un-truths.” He then said that there was more money spent on bipartisan events.

She asked him how that made the report inaccurate. Howell then said, “I guess I’m not speaking in little enough words for you to understand.”

She responded (as someone “ooh”ed in the background), “I’m a smart girl, actually I went to the University of Virginia. I benefitted from public education in Virginia. I think words with multiple syllables will be just fine.”Or to sum it up in the way Howell might have, he put that uppity woman in her place. Bravo, Mr. Howell. You’ve convinced me there’s no war on women

Here’s the video:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/04/12/another-highly-influential-republican-publicly-treats-a-woman-like-something-he-accidentally-stepped-in-video/

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Replies (71-76):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I would have dismiised her because of who she represents, not her gender.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting dollwith4:

OMG! SHE brought up the sex thing....'I am a smart GIRL.....' not him! 

I know, perhaps we should look at this another way, he was talking to a REPORTER (they were talking about a report and the inaccuricies or lack there of on a site, makes her a reporter), not a man, not a woman, a fucking reporter! If he had made the same comment to a man would he be a Misandrist? 

I am so tired of everyone (especilly women) making women out to be the perpetual victims! Ohhhh, he was mean to the girl! No, he was getting annoyed when the PERSON he was speaking to was not understanding his words.

It is that simple. Stop looking for crap that isn't there. Had HE said one word about her gender, I would be the first one to call him on it. HE didn't! Welcome to equality folks! You (general) want to put yourself in a position to be spoken to like you are an idiot, you don't get to bitch because someone did not take into account your delicate nature, you being a girl and all.

As a reporter I would have thought you would have noticed his lack of eye contact from the beginning of their conversation.  How he dismissed her from the moment she said she who was.

This lady is most certainly no victim.  I did not see that at all.  I don't think most people are claiming that women are 'victims'.  You need to open your eyes are recognize when any man treats a woman in a manner that is to completely dismiss her.  He would not have spoken that way to another man, that other man would not stand for that.  How dare he!  Well guess what, the same can be said, and should be said, when he speaks to a woman in that way.  He is not any better than she is simply because he has a dick.  She let him know it as well.

If you would allow a man to speak to you in such a way, that is indeed your choice.  If you find nothing wrong with it, that is your choice.  To me, that is being a coward and accepting that men can feel they are indeed superior based on their dick and not being a strong enough woman to stand up to it.  

melelaine
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting dollwith4:

Being treated equally does not mean being treated like a man.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to be a political reporter, so I can tell you this attitude is not that uncommon. When I interviewed Bud Shuster for the first time (he was a prominent politician eons ago in PA), he actually called my editor and requested he send a male reporter instead. My editor laughed at him and told him no, that I was the political reporter and he was just going to have to suck it up and deal with it.

There *is* sexism out there, particularly among the older white male politicians, of whom many still believe that women belong in the kitchen and not in the work force.

nysa76
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I, personally, did not see anything that led me to believe he was dismissing her for her sexual organs but rather the topic at hand. 

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Agreed. I'm only in my early 30's and even I remember how bad it was as recently as in my childhood. I still meet men in work settings who hold those attitudes towards women and treat them that way.

Quoting NWP:

That type of unspoken dismissal of women's speech or actions was the socially acceptable response until just a few decades ago.

I am beginning to wonder if you are just an over entitled young un' who couldn't possibly remember what it was like to be spoken to that way, or just a male troll.

Quoting dollwith4:

I know, perhaps we should look at this another way, he was talking to a REPORTER (they were talking about a report and the inaccuricies or lack there of on a site, makes her a reporter), not a man, not a woman, a fucking reporter! If he had made the same comment to a man would he be a Misandrist? 

I am so tired of everyone (especilly women) making women out to be the perpetual victims! Ohhhh, he was mean to the girl! No, he was getting annoyed when the PERSON he was speaking to was not understanding his words.

It is that simple. Stop looking for crap that isn't there. Had HE said one word about her gender, I would be the first one to call him on it. HE didn't! Welcome to equality folks! You (general) want to put yourself in a position to be spoken to like you are an idiot, you don't get to bitch because someone did not take into account your delicate nature, you being a girl and all.

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM
You would have been a condescending, superior acting ass to her?

Quoting Carpy:

I would have said the same to her.

Quoting Stephanie329:

My point is that yes, she held her own, but the way he spoke to her wouldn't have happened it it had been a man, IMO.

Quoting dollwith4:

Exactly! She made him look like an idiot. But, that is not enough for some....instead of letting her stand on her abilities (which she showed quite well), it is now being turned into...ohhhh he was mean to the wittle girl!

If I were her I would be pissed it was being used for that!

Quoting Stephanie329:

She is hardly a victim, if anything, he was, lol.

Quoting dollwith4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)