Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
So sitting in McDonald's today before going to work. Across from me is a lady with two boys. Different ages ranging from4-8. She is screaming and threatening these boys. All because the one wanted ketchup and then didn't. (typical kid). So then she proceeds to throw away her food and leave the restaurant. Her two kids are still sitting there. They pack there food up and follow her out minutes later... So I'm sitting here wondering if that's how she is in public... What do those poor kids go thru at home?! Now for those people who are totally against abortion.. Can I hear yor thoughts of this please? Is aborting that child really worse than then living in this senario in which they'll never really have a chance of life or a life of love at that? Yeah theres a slim percent that they will break away and be a normal person. But most the time the kids growing up in this behavior learn to live that wAy or end up with anger issues, drug problems, .. Etc. how would you personally handle this? And how can u not believe that the women should have aborted? Cause obviously she didn't abopt.. Really just curious on anti abortion thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Replies (111-120):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Yup.

Because it lessens the impact of the true social impact that reproductive freedom or lack thereof has.

Any other questions?

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Boy, they really did a good job on that "pro-choice" propaganda campaign back in the 70's!   I mean... must be like the most effective propaganda campaign in history to have convinced so many generations that they aren't supporting abortion rights, they're supporting "reproductive freedom".   Seriously... you come at me yelling about propaganda and then pull out terms like "reproductive freedom"??

So, let me ask you this... do you get as up in arms when someone uses the term "anti-choice"... or is that okay because it plays into your campaign?

Quoting Momniscient:

You really can't think about it critically? The term pro abortion is used merely to paint a person who supports reproductive freedom as somehow being pro terminating a fetus. That is not the case but I'm sure you know that because you are such an advocate for women yourself.
It just surprises me that you write of being do very invested in the well being of women that you would fall for the propaganda that supports vilifying other women who support reproductive rights and freedom.
Maybe choice is really not your thing because you seem to get antsy and want to restrict choice if someone may be able to make a choice that doesn't align with your convictions.
Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I'm really not seeing how the term "pro-abortion" is a bad, or derogatory thing... so, why the fuss?   Are you, or are you not in favor of abortion being legal in the US?  

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:21 PM

The problem with your argument is, not every parent has children knowing they are be a piece of shit, crap parent.  Life intervenes and changes all their plans.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning what they do.  But, you think some woman out there is sitting there going "yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to abuse my kids".  Can't wait to have some?

Quoting Kchellejones330:

I'm talking strictly about PARENTS WHO ABUSE THEIR CHILDREN you freak. Practice what you preach teacher girl. Smh

Quoting LindaClement:

Yes, because just to begin with, it skips over several nasty realities of the world:

~ no woman ever got pregnant in a sealed room alone

~ rape

~ incest

~ sexual abuse

~ birth control failure

~ dead fetus

~ massively malformed fetus

If you don't know what you're talking about, it's probably better if you don't make your ignorance obvious if you hope no one will comment on it.

Quoting Kchellejones330:

Lmao, seriously???????????

Quoting LindaClement:

This is deeply disrespectful ignorance.

Quoting Kchellejones330:

Don't open your legs if you intend to treat your child like shit. Then, abortion wouldn't be necessary to bitches who can't grow up and handle what they created.

Redwall
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM

There are horrible parents that really wanted and planned for children!  Is murder worse?  Yes....absolutely.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I want to know what the Grand Prize is for the Troll who manages to insult the most people and get thrown out of the group first. It must be a good one, cause damn, they are giving it their best shot,lol.

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Almost everyone I know has complained of having something wrong in their childhood. An absent or abusive parent. Child molestation. Hunger, parents worked all the time or simply weren't around. Took from parents, foster care, etc... have parents that somehow to the child were bad parents or didn't do a good job. Life is not perfect, people are not perfect but I couldn't imagine a world where all those that went through hardships as children aren't worthy of their life.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I think its the same troll, she just dyes her hair hoping no one will recognize her.

Quoting gludwig2000:

I want to know what the Grand Prize is for the Troll who manages to insult the most people and get thrown out of the group first. It must be a good one, cause damn, they are giving it their best shot,lol.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Quoting gludwig2000:

Quoting dollwith4:

I am aware that government money (on the books) does not go to actual abortions. However, the government coveringother things allows for the other money they have to be freed up to pay for them. That is the connection I was making. I am sorry for not being clearer in that....that was my fault. :) So, in your opinion, it would be better to deny other services, just to make sure that an abortion isn't provided because money was cleared up by the government providing funds? To me, it seems a shaem to deny 20 because 1 might choose to abort.

I have 4 teenagers, so I am VERY aware of how PP acts with teens. Not being sarcastic, but you have first hand experience with how PP treats kids? I'm sure that you are aware that what goes for one, does not go for all. I'm sure PP feels the same way.My kids call me 'nazi-mom' (it is a joke, my kids and I have great relationships) because I do keep up on anything and everything that does/could affect them in any way. That is my job. :) I agree, and applaud your staying on top of things.When a teen can walk into PP and get an abortion without parental consent and school admins not only promote PP but have even driven kids there....I see that as telling kids to go behind their parents backs. I know for a fact that is not SOP for schools, so if the schools in your area do so, I would look into it, because here, even in high school, kids can not go anywhere with a school official, teacher, etc, without parental consent.  I know, not everyone sees it that way. As with my first post, this is all IMO.

I agree that a 14 year old would need more then just parenting classes. That was just one example of where some of that money could go. My point was instead of just telling them hey, it's ok have an abortion why aren't we as a society teaching them how to raise that child right? I agree. Including job training and all the things they need raise that child. But why aren't we as a society helping that 14 year old understand there are better choices then going out and having sex? Again, I agree, but if you look at how things are right now, those in charge prefer to keep our children ignorant, by not teaching sex ed, and perfer to tell them to keep their legs shut..Instead we tell that 14 year old...oh, don't have sex, but, if you do, we will help you lie and go behind your parents backs. Here is where I disagree, because I do not believe that society  does this.

And yes, I understand what the pro-choice stance is. I meant no harm by explaining, sorry if you took it otherwise.

Quoting gludwig2000:

If you take that Federal Funding away from PP, you aren't preventing abortions, but you are preventing contraception, mammograms, pap smears, etc, to women.

And since when does PP tell young girls to have abortions behind their parents backs? I don't think they care, to be honest. And what good will it do to have a single, 14 year old girl take parenting classes? She needs so much more than parenting skills to provide for a baby, don't you think?

And finally, did you know that the majority of women who are pro choice, aren't advocating abortion (not telling others to do it) but instead believe that its should be up to the individual woman to decide for herself if she wants to continue a pregnancy.

Quoting dollwith4:

Here are my thoughts on this....since you asked, planned parenthood gets 1/3 of it's money from the government. Instead of giving PP that money why not have free parenting classes? 

Instead of telling young girls it is ok to have an abortion behind their parents backs, why not tell them it is better to go to parenting classes so they are ready for a baby they chose to create? As a society we do need to hold people to higher standards with children. But telling them it is better to not even have that child, IMO, is wrong! 

Teaching people to be better parents is a much better answer. IMO.

A whole lot depends on where you live. Around here PP has been, at times, invited to give a talk at school and along with all the information about the services they provide is that fact that "your parents don't need to know". Yep, they do tell the kids that they can go to PP with any questions, concerns, or for help and their parents do not have to know about it. There was a case not to long ago where a school nurse put a young girl (15-16 yrs old I think) in a taxi cab and sent her off for an abortion all without her parents knowledge. It was news for awhile due to her mother being furious over it. In that case, the mom had signed a form so her dd could go to the school clinic if she needed an aspirin or something of that nature...the mom had NO idea that it included ANYTHING the school nurse decided on. Gotta really watch what you sign these days.....

We also have comprehensive sex-ed in the schools...so kids have all the information about sex, sexuality, etc. etc. They also get the idea that it's ok for them to have sex if they decide they want to see what it's like. Why? Because schools cannot teach anything that smacks of morals so all they can do is give them all the information, say the only way to 100% not get pregnant is not to indulge, but they cannot tell them not to. They do tell them if they have sex to do so safely..ie: condoms, bc., it's their choice. And of course PP will treat them without parental knowledge or consent...

Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM

eye rolling

Quoting Kchellejones330:

Don't open your legs if you intend to treat your child like shit. Then, abortion wouldn't be necessary to bitches who can't grow up and handle what they created.

Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:28 AM

OP, I find it odd that this Mother just walked out on her kids but you could have easily been seeing her have just a bad day. A bad moment with her kids that really doesn't tell the story of how she is at home, as you've insinuated.

As for this being an example of why abortion might work, again, doesn't stand in my book.

No offense.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I had fun with a pro-life display at a trade show once. Apropos of nothing at all, I pointed out a fruit fly on the table. The woman I pointed it out to squished it with her finger. I said 'so you're not pro ALL life?'

And walked away laughing.

You're right: pro-life folks are not lobbying to ban antibiotics, or to stop cancer treatment. They make no comment on outlawing the death penalty, nor of gun control (or any other measure that might succeed in lowering the US's astonishingly high murder rate)... so their chosen terminology is not more accurate. It is, in fact, simply accurate that they are anti-abortion, and their activism most often stops right there. As long as the fetus is left to develop, they don't seem to much care what happens after --or to whom. 

Pro-choice activists have a broader view of the issue, being active in promoting access to birth control, accurate medical and scientific sex education, women's rights and freedoms (outlawing things like congigal rape) AND access to safe, sterile abortion when a woman chooses that (for whatever reasons she chooses it). So 'pro-abortion' isn't an accurate term, in the context.

I can't speak to why none of the myriad people replying didn't comment on that.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Thank you.

Really, the same could be said of the "pro-life"/"pro-choice" terms... they're both designed to make a point about the stance and make you feel a certain way about it. 

In any case... I honestly didn't realize it was a 'thing", or used to offend.  The OP said "anti-abortion", so the opposite term would be "pro-abortion", and since those are the most factual terms for the opposite stances in this debate, it seemed reasonable to continue.  

I guess I don't read enough on this topic to have been exposed to using "pro-abortion" derogatorily.   Does that also make "anti-abortion" derogatory, and if so why did no one call out the OP on that?

Quoting LindaClement:

Yes.

Both terms are intentionally emotionally-laden terms that classify a very complicated social, political, medical and personal issue as a one-dimensional sound bite.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Boy, they really did a good job on that "pro-choice" propaganda campaign back in the 70's!   I mean... must be like the most effective propaganda campaign in history to have convinced so many generations that they aren't supporting abortion rights, they're supporting "reproductive freedom".   Seriously... you come at me yelling about propaganda and then pull out terms like "reproductive freedom"??

So, let me ask you this... do you get as up in arms when someone uses the term "anti-choice"... or is that okay because it plays into your campaign?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)