Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

All part of God's plan. *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

My youngest mentioned that, during Social Studies, her teacher made the comment that the battles that took place during Ancient Rome were all part of God's plan.

Now, my daughter doesn't recall the exact wording used or the exact moment her teacher made this comment.

She brought it up as a discussion of God having a plan for all of us and that we may not understand His plan at this time.

I am curious.  Do any of you find the teacher having mentioned this to be appropriate or not?  Do you need more of the context in order to determine if you feel this was appropriate or not?

These are 6th graders, by the way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Should have stated that yes, this is a public school.  Opps.

As I stated in the thread, I appreciate all of the input.

I am going to talk with the teacher. I know her well enough to be able to discuss this and hopefully find out in just what context this came about.  

I am, in no way, scared of God being mentioned in the classroom.  Whether or not I agree, or disagree, with how He is mentioned is not what this is about or as important as what a teacher should, or should not, be doing in the classroom where God is concerned.

I like this teacher and my daughter adores her.  I am not out to cause her any issues.  I am, however, entitled to know just how this played out.  If she did cross the line, which I think she may have or came darn close, that is not appropriate for any teacher.  

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Replies (41-50):
tambrathegreat
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM

If this was in public school, it is inexcusable.  She's supposed to be teaching history, not religion. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I am seeing that the consensus seems to be that this was highly inappropriate.

I admit that when my daughter first told me, my first thought that was it indeed inappropriate but I had not gone to the extent I am sensing from some.

Context is important, I feel.  I do not know if she brought up God to inject her own personal beliefs or exactly how and why God was even mentioned.  Now, I am assuming she was referring to the Christian God.  That is how my daughter took her words.

I would like to ask my daughter more questions but I am getting the feeling she is becoming defensive, meaning defending her teacher.  I have not said that her teacher did anything wrong, not at all.  She knows there are aspects, in regards to religion, that are not allowed in the public school.  She isn't clear on all of that yet.  

I am not going to press her any further.  I will just call her teacher and have a chat with her.  I am not going to approach her negatively.  I see no reason for that.  I do, however, want to know the context in which this all took place.

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM
That's a big no-no if it was a public school. I go to great pains to leave religion out of my classroom...now, it may come from a student during a debate ("But the Bible says I should think _______ about this"), but as a teacher, it's my job to allow students to express themselves openly (but respectfully) while also keeping a very close hand on what I share with them. I have never, and would never, assert in my classroom that any specific deity is real or has "plans" for us, despite how I feel personally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

That's a big no-no if it was a public school. I go to great pains to leave religion out of my classroom...now, it may come from a student during a debate ("But the Bible says I should think _______ about this"), but as a teacher, it's my job to allow students to express themselves openly (but respectfully) while also keeping a very close hand on what I share with them. I have never, and would never, assert in my classroom that any specific deity is real or has "plans" for us, despite how I feel personally.

I was hoping you would weigh in on this.

Like I have said, I am not clear on the context but I do want to know more.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tambrathegreat:

If this was in public school, it is inexcusable.  She's supposed to be teaching history, not religion. 

Religion is apart of history.  I'm not sure how one could teach the history of Ancient civilizations without teaching about the religious belief's held by those civilizations. 

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Depends...is it a private school or public.  In public, it really isn't.  But in a private school it's fine.  Me personally, I wouldn't have an issue with the teacher saying it in a public school...but I know others might.  

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM

There is a different between putting in HER opinions on religion, and teaching about the religions of that time.

Inappropriate for public school:  "It was part of God's plan."
Appropriate for public school: "The armies at the time considered it to be all a part of God's plan."

See the difference?  The teacher is teaching the Bible as if it were real.

Now me personally would not have an issue...but then again I am a Christian. But not everyone is a Christian...so it's unfair to them. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Religion is apart of history.  I'm not sure how one could teach the history of Ancient civilizations without teaching about the religious belief's held by those civilizations. 

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Thanks for the complement!

Unfortunately, I can't imagine a context in which this would be appropriate.

Religion is such a sticky issue in school...obviously, it informs the opinions and daily habits of most of my students (I'm in the South, so, LOTS of Evangelicals). It's going to come up in debates, just like it pops up in some of the literature we read. I try to teach my students to consider religion a part of an author's personality; his or her tone is influenced by religious sentiment, but those opinions and thoughts are particular only to that author.

I can't say religion never comes up on a personal level. I had a student "come out" to me as an atheist last year, and he would stay after school sometimes and cry about how his religious family was treating him. I also have a lot of religious conversations with the parents of my Muslim students, who are typically very interested in their child's moral profile while at school. I have had kids ask me why I don't have any religious knick-knacks on my desk like most other teachers do...by and large, they could probably peg me as non-religious, but not because I've ever spoken the words to them, or pushed an agenda. I prefer the "smile and nod" method when the kiddos talk about what they did at church over the weekend.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

I was hoping you would weigh in on this.

Like I have said, I am not clear on the context but I do want to know more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm, well I think it depends what exactly the teacher said.  I wouldn't really think it appropriate for the teacher to say that as part of a history lesson.  I would think that by 6th grade I could talk to my kid about everyone's different beliefs and teachers not always knowing absolutely everything.

I doubt I would make a deal about it unless it was a pattern.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Yeah I believe that God gave us all free will, and set us free.  Yes, sometimes he answers prayers, but I believe that he expects us to not sit on our rears waiting for him to bless us, and I don't believe he causes people to do bad things because he "wills" it. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting kailu1835:

I believe that people use God and Satan as an excuse WAY too much.  People make decisions of their own free will, no unearthly power is forcing them to do something they don't wish to do.  Can God USE the results of those decisions for something good?  Absolutely!  Can Satan USE the results for something bad?  Of course.  But I don't beleive that God or Satan has nearly as big a role in our day-to-day lives as people think.

By the way, I'm a Christian, so you can imagine it was hard to find a church to go to that didn't want to shun me for THAT belief!

You have brought up something that I agree with, completely.  You also put it in a way that I have tried to do but came up short.  Your 'explanation' fits directly in to my own thought pattern.

Thanks for that! lol

babiesbabybaby development

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN