Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Court Says Arizona Can Demand Voter Identification

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM
  • 5 Replies

A U.S. appeals court on Tuesday upheld Arizona's requirement that voters show identification at the polls, but struck down its requirement that they show proof of U.S. citizenship to register to vote in federal elections.

While agreeing that Arizona was within its rights to require identification at voting places, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit concluded the national Voting Rights Act, or NVRA, superseded the law's requirement that anyone registering to vote in a federal election show "satisfactory evidence" of U.S. citizenship.

In 2004 Arizona voters passed a ballot initiative, Proposition 200, that amended state election laws to add the citizenship and identification requirements. It was challenged in court shortly afterward.

The court's ruling comes after a growing number of states have enacted voter ID laws, prompting a divisive debate over whether proponents are seeking to limit access to the polls in a presidential election year.

The "photo identification requirement is not an invidious restriction" and does not violate the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause, the court's majority concluded in an opinion by Judge Sandra Ikuta.

But the court was not persuaded by Arizona's arguments in favor of Proposition 200's proof of citizenship requirement.

"In sum, the NVRA and Proposition 200's registration provision ... do not operate harmoniously as a single procedural scheme for the registration of voters for federal elections," Ikuta wrote. "Therefore, under Congress's expansive Elections Clause power, we must hold that the registration provision ... is preempted by the NVRA" when a voter seeks to register for a federal election.

The Ninth Circuit's ruling also comes just about a week before the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments on another controversial Arizona law touching on citizenship issues, the state's first-in-the-nation effort to crack down on illegal immigration inside its own borders.

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JamesMom714
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I don't understand why you shouldn't have to prove US Citizenship to register to vote... It is a Right granted to US Citizens in the constitution. Not a right granted to Canadian, Mexican or any other citizen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erika9009
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Good,

Now we just need something like that in CA.  I know illegals vote, (yes, I've seen it) but I just can't guess on if they have a real affect or not.  They probably would in a local election, but probably not national.

This somehow makes me racist is some peoples eye doesn't it........

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

radioheid
by Libertarian on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I'm stumped as to why proof of citizenship is not deemed necessary.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

jadedcynic
by NerdyJen on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I was born in this country and am undoubtedly a citizen. However, I was not allowed to vote in the most recent election in Arizona because my ID had expired. I didn't have the money to get a new one right away and didn't realize what a big deal it was because I don't drive anyway. It wasn't until I was turned away from the polls that I realized how some of these laws actually disenfranchise poor voters. 

I don't have a copy of my birth certificate right now. That is the only thing that is generally accepted to prove citizenship. I don't have it because when I do get $40, it generally is spent on my kids or bills, or groceries. I am a citizen, but I am viewed as less than a person because I do not have the money to prove it.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

most of us are, really shouldn't be that big a deal.  No ID, can't vote.

Quoting radioheid:

I'm stumped as to why proof of citizenship is not deemed necessary.

Where CafeMom Smart Moms Go

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN