Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's scrutinize Mitt Romney Part 1:

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM
  • 10 Replies

New Hampshire primary: Mitt Romney says he 'likes firing people'

Mitt Romney has made the most glaring gaffe of his campaign to date, saying he "liked firing people", just as opponents have started rounding on him for the predatory nature of the financial firm he ran for 14 years.

New Hampshire primary: Mitt Romney says he 'likes firing people'
Mitt Romney has run a highly disciplined campaign  Photo: AP

The front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination is closing in on victory in New Hampshire on Tuesday night, but his prospects there and in future primary contests are now threatened by an off the cuff remark made during an question and answer session at a chamber of commerce breakfast meeting.

In the course of an answer on how to bring down health care costs, Mr Romney said he wanted individuals to buy their own health insurance rather than have their company buy it for them.

"That means the insurance company will have an incentive to keep you healthy. It also means that if you don't like what they do, you could fire them. I like being able to fire people who provide services to me. You know, if someone isn't giving the good service, I want to say, I'm going to go get someone else to provide this service," he said.

In its full context the quote may seem more benign, but as a sound bite it will provide powerful ammunition not only to any of his Republican opponents who choose to use it but, should he win the nomination, to President Barack Obama's campaign.

Ben La Bolt, a spokesman for Mr Obama's campaign reacted quickly on Twitter simply with three exclamation remarks.

Mr Romney has run a highly disciplined campaign but he appeared to let his guard drop before a friendly audience of entrepreneurs and small business owners in Nashua in southern New Hampshire.

Towards the end of the session, he was also drawn into a row with the local representative of the United Auto Workers union, who criticised his argument that Mr Obama should have let General Motors go into full bankruptcy rather than place it partly under union ownership in his bail-out plan.

"How can you talk about creating good paying jobs, when the jobs you created have been low paid jobs with poor benefits," Julie Kushner asked Mr Romney.

"I believe the market works better than the president stepping in to take care of his friends," he retorted.

Afterwards Mrs Kushner said: "To hear him say he likes to fire people, today, in this economy, in that flippant way was upsetting to people working hard and playing by the rules."

Mr Romney's faux pas came as Newt Gingrich, the former House Speaker, prepared to release a half-hour film designed to destroy his claims to be a job-creating entrepreneur.

Mr Gingrich has already attacked Mr Romney for making millions as chief executive officer of Bain Capital, a venture capital firm, while laying off workers.

He referred to Romney's job at Bain as "a Wall Street model where you can flip companies, you can go in and have leveraged buyouts, you can basically take out all the money, leaving behind the workers".

Democrats have also repeatedly attacked Romney's tenure at Bain, whose major successes included investing in Staples. Mr Romney has claimed that the company's investments under his leadership created more than 100,000 jobs.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree with him.  I reserve the right to reject a bad service or product, even employee, in favor of something or someone better. 

One thing Romney is skilled at doing is eliminated waste and bureacracy.  He also takes a stand against cronyism:

"Governor Romney successfully consolidated the social service and public health bureaucracy and restructured the Metropolitan District Commission.   Romney even eliminated half of the executive branch’s press positions, saving $1.2 million."

http://www.clubforgrowth.org/whitepapers/?subsec=137&id=905

"Romney specifically aimed to overhaul the sprawling human services system, a court network beset by legislative meddling, and the 29-campus higher education system...

"Romney's efforts ultimately forced out [University of Massachusetts] President William M. Bulger, the former state Senate president... Bulger enjoyed support among Democrats on Beacon Hill but little with the general public, weakened as he was by embarrassing disclosures about his contact with his brother, fugitive mobster James ''Whitey'' Bulger, who was accused of 19 murders... It was a triumph for Romney and his outsider politics...

"Romney's obsession with maintaining a pure image annoyed many Beacon Hill regulars [State Legislatures], but it produced an administration that was virtually scandal free and restrained in the exercise of patronage...

click to Play
Judicial patronage jobs (0:46)

(double click for full screen)
cspanarchives.org - Oct 29, 2002

"Much later, Romney rebuffed requests that he appoint Brian P. Lees, the Republican leader in the Senate, to the open job of clerk-magistrate of Springfield District Court.

" ''I wanted to change the environment in Massachusetts from one of patronage to one of people getting jobs on the merit, and I didn't feel like I could make an appointment based on the fact that somebody was the minority leader of my party,'' Romney said in an interview.

"Romney also sanitized the judicial selection process, requiring the nominating panel to conduct an initial blind review of candidates without knowing their names, gender, or references.

" ''The review process was completely apolitical,'' said Ralph C. Martin II, who chaired the Judicial Nominating Commission for half of Romney's term. A July 2005 review by the Boston Globe of Romney's judicial picks detected no philosophical or partisan pattern."

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/specials/romney/articles/part6_main/?page=full

SAHM_12
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I agree with  him 100% too :>)

Quoting Meadowchik:

I agree with him.  I reserve the right to reject a bad service or product, even employee, in favor of something or someone better. 

One thing Romney is skilled at doing is eliminated waste and bureacracy.  He also takes a stand against cronyism:

"Governor Romney successfully consolidated the social service and public health bureaucracy and restructured the Metropolitan District Commission.   Romney even eliminated half of the executive branch’s press positions, saving $1.2 million."

"Romney specifically aimed to overhaul the sprawling human services system, a court network beset by legislative meddling, and the 29-campus higher education system...

"Romney's efforts ultimately forced out [University of Massachusetts] President William M. Bulger, the former state Senate president... Bulger enjoyed support among Democrats on Beacon Hill but little with the general public, weakened as he was by embarrassing disclosures about his contact with his brother, fugitive mobster James ''Whitey'' Bulger, who was accused of 19 murders... It was a triumph for Romney and his outsider politics...

"Romney's obsession with maintaining a pure image annoyed many Beacon Hill regulars [State Legislatures], but it produced an administration that was virtually scandal free and restrained in the exercise of patronage...

click to Play

"Much later, Romney rebuffed requests that he appoint Brian P. Lees, the Republican leader in the Senate, to the open job of clerk-magistrate of Springfield District Court.

" ''I wanted to change the environment in Massachusetts from one of patronage to one of people getting jobs on the merit, and I didn't feel like I could make an appointment based on the fact that somebody was the minority leader of my party,'' Romney said in an interview.

"Romney also sanitized the judicial selection process, requiring the nominating panel to conduct an initial blind review of candidates without knowing their names, gender, or references.

" ''The review process was completely apolitical,'' said Ralph C. Martin II, who chaired the Judicial Nominating Commission for half of Romney's term. A July 2005 review by the Boston Globe of Romney's judicial picks detected no philosophical or partisan pattern."

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/specials/romney/articles/part6_main/?page=full

"We have a moral responsibility to not spend more than we take in." -Mitt Romney 2012

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a huge fan but taking that soundbite out of context is extremely unfair. He clearly didn't mean it like it will sound as a stand alone quote.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jessilin0113:

I'm not a huge fan but taking that soundbite out of context is extremely unfair. He clearly didn't mean it like it will sound as a stand alone quote.

Thank you!

wymama610
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM
X 3 :)

Quoting SAHM_12:

I agree with  him 100% too :>)

Quoting Meadowchik:

click to Play

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't like Ol Mitt, but taking the sound bite was unfair. He gets his tail in a crack often enough without nonsense like this.

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

MOWOMP, MOWOWP MOWP! Mitt Romney!

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Mitt Romney says he 'likes firing people'

" I like being able to fire people "

So they left out the word "able", thus changing the whole meaning of his words?

That sucks for Romney.  I wonder if he could sue?

stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 21, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Mitt has completely blown it on his platform and they need this really?

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Quoting stormcris:

Mitt has completely blown it on his platform and they need this really?

My thoughts as well

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured