Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another reason the USA sucks.... **EDIT** lolz

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM
  • 116 Replies
1 mom liked this

Was reading an article about how a company in Australia was offering moms that return to work after having a  baby double their pay for the first 6wks they are back!  Thats in addition to the already...generous...time off and pay...

"IAG already offers one of the most generous maternity leave policies in the industry -- 14 weeks of paid time off after giving birth or adopting a child. Their six-week "welcome back bonus" is on top of that -- and in addition to an Australian government policy that gives new parents up to 18 weeks pay at minimum wage or a $5,400 "Baby Bonus" per child, whichever is greater."

TIL: The United States is one of just four countries in the world without a national law requiring paid time off for new parents (the other countries are Liberia, Papua New Guinea, and Swaziland).

****EDIT*****

Since its apparent many of you didn't actually read the post....or the article itself, for that matter...or didn't understand it.....lolz

The only part I actually wrote myself was the title and the first two sentences.  The next part, in quotations, is a quote from the article AND the TIL (which stands for Today I Learned) part is ALSO a direct quote from the article but I failed to put quotations in front of and at the end of it...my bad

It was for everyone's information, thought it was pretty cool to see a company do that kind of thing.... but, sadly, it wasn't in the US....  What makes the US suck for this is the fact that we are just one of 4 countries...FOUR....that don't have a law requiring paid time off for new parents.  There is no entitlement issues in any of this...on my part or anyone elses. 

Its something that would be so awesome to have available in a country that so many think is so great already...

Also, its funny how you automatically assume so many things about me, SO...to set a few things straight: I am a SAHM (never had to work after having a baby), no entitlement issues here....but I feel bad for the working mom's that have to go back to work shortly after having a baby because they won't get paid otherwise...

And, for the record; while this post was not a "bashing the USA" post...or even a "I hate this stupid country" post...  my family and I are planning to move out of the USA within the next 18 months...lol

http://shine.yahoo.com/secrets-to-your-success/australian-company-iag-rewards-moms-returning-185600273.html

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM
6 moms liked this

are you being forced to stay in the U.S.?  If you think it sucks so bad, I am sure you are free to leave.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM
12 moms liked this
Oh, irony...

Quoting candlegal:

are you being forced to stay in the U.S.?  If you think it sucks so bad, I am sure you are free to leave.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sdubs
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM
8 moms liked this

There is nothing wrong with showing or exposing a negative in the way system in the country you call home works.  I love the US, but one of my biggest problems with it is the lack of accessible healthcare and the extremely subpar maternity leave women here are offered.  You can only help bring about change by bringing an issue to light.  Sorry, but when it comes to maternity leave the US really does suck.  In a lot of other areas it does not. 

Tanya93
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Um, a company can do that here.
Crandi
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Another reason the U.S. sucks . . .  because I didn't get a BONUS when I returned to work after having a baby?  How about a Nobel Prize, a new car and full-tiime housekeeper?  This is a private company who can do whatever they want for their employees (or not), but you want a govt. mandated system where the taxpayers pay YOU to have a baby?  Entitled much?    

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM

it won't be long before you can't be fired here and everyone will be oh so happy.  Isn't it France where you can't get fired, no matter how bad you are as an employee?

Quoting Crandi:

Another reason the U.S. sucks . . .  because I didn't get a BONUS when I returned to work after having a baby?  How about a Nobel Prize, a new car and full-tiime housekeeper?  This is a private company who can do whatever they want for their employees (or not), but you want a govt. mandated system where the taxpayers pay YOU to have a baby?  Entitled much?    

Crandi
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Yes, and the U.S. govt including teachers. 

Quoting candlegal:

it won't be long before you can't be fired here and everyone will be oh so happy.  Isn't it France where you can't get fired, no matter how bad you are as an employee?

Quoting Crandi:

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Yep, that's France.

So what ends up happening is no one will hire anyone new or inexperienced.   So, unemployment is higher. 

And lets be real,

If you know you can't get fired, do you work as hard?  Some may for the love of what they do, but most will slack and take advantage.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Crandi:

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Oh that's right.

Everyone look up Mark Burnt at LA Unified.  He was "allowed" to resign, the freako.

Quoting Crandi:

Yes, and the U.S. govt including teachers. 

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Crandi:

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

BPwife12
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Quoting candlegal:

I agree.  If the OP feels so strongly about this then she's free to leave. 

Love the entitlement thinking of some people. She actually expects her company to double her pay just because she had a baby. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)