Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Principle arrested for Felony Child Abuse from Bus Incident (graphic video)

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM
  • 18 Replies

This is a local story that made my jaw drop.  While I am not in this school district, I still plan to write some scathing letters to their board of education and some others in charge for the actions seen here:

Posted: Thu 1:01 AM, Apr 19, 2012
A A
Reporter: WSAZ News Staff; Andrew Colegrove Email
Updated: Thu 10:40 AM, Apr 19, 2012

UPDATE: Principal Charged with Felony Child Abuse

ADVERTISEMENT

11pm Story

RAW VIDEO: Point Pleasant Bus Video

UPDATE 4/18/12 @ 10 p.m.
POINT PLEASANT, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A principal in Mason County is accused of abusing an 11-year-old student on a school bus, and it was caught on camera.

However, the principal's supporters say the video only tells one side of the story.

Point Pleasant Intermediate Principal Cameron Moffett was arrested earlier this month and charged with felony child abuse.

The student's family is now suing Moffett and the Mason County Board of Education.

On March 21, security cameras on a bus recorded Moffett pulling student Zachary Plants from his seat and rolling him down the bus stairs.

The criminal complaint says once outside the bus, Moffett held Plants to the pavement with his knee to his back.

Mason County Superintendent Suzanne Dickens had no comment, but in an email to county principals, she said she'd reviewed the footage and did not consider Moffett's actions to be child abuse, and she was supporting Moffett.

Those who support the principal say the video first shows the boy causing problems on the bus, with teachers repeatedly telling him to sit down, and he refuses to listen, and they called the principal on board for help.

Plants' family lawyer Mike Clifford says the boy has special needs and was being bullied by other students before Moffett arrived, and there was no excuse for the principal's actions.

"They apparently have little regard for special needs students in Mason County, which is a tragedy," Clifford said.

Students at Point Pleasant High School were supposed to be out of classes Friday to get ready for prom Friday night. Wednesday they learned they'll be off Monday instead.

Some students and parents claim this is all to accommodate staff members who want to attend Moffet's preliminary hearing Monday.

"Some kids were all for it," Point Pleasant junior Ashley Sayre said. "A lot of other kids were way against it and said it wasn't right, what he'd done, and it wasn't right that they took our prom day away just for that."

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NaniMami317
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Is that another adult on the same bus?? Sickening

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM

YES!  That is one of a couple of other adults on the bus. 

Quoting NaniMami317:

NaniMami317
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Well they all should be charged. The other adults should be charged too. How would they feel if it were their child

Quoting jlo1313:

YES!  That is one of a couple of other adults on the bus. 

Quoting NaniMami317:

KC33
by Kim on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM

That child was clearly out of control.

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

He was being bullied on that bus, before the Principal got on the bus. Wonder what happened to the bullies? You don't roll an out of control, over-processing child down a bus aisle, down the steps, and put a knee in their back. If CPS  or DHS saw any mom on here doing that, we would lose our kids. The superintendent is backing him, she is afraid of a lawsuit.

Quoting KC33:

That child was clearly out of control.

cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM
What the hell. Seriously?! They could not find any other way to handle the situation rather than treating a child as a criminal adult?
mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

That was totally uncalled for. What other side of the story could possible justify him pushing around a kid like that? I have to say, that video was nauseating.

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I watched that video 3 times, look at how his neck is bent. There is no excuse for that. None. I would of unloaded the bus of all students and parents first. Enough is enough. A more calming influence would of helped helped. Rolling a child down the aisle, down the steps is NOT how to calm a special needs child. I bet that principal is pulling more than 100 grand a year too!

Quoting cueballsmom:

What the hell. Seriously?! They could not find any other way to handle the situation rather than treating a child as a criminal adult?

mitchiesgirl
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:42 PM
I don't care how out of control this child was. He had no right to do that... Especially to a special needs child. Sickening. AND there were other adults. Just awful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

honestly, being special needs or not, those adults need to be brought in on charges. You simply can not treat or man handle a minor that way. A normal kid should get better treatment, much less one with recognised issues.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)