Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What gets your panties in a knot? And a discussion on childhood obesity

Posted by   + Show Post

Childhood obesity discussions really, really get to me. Seeing an obese child truly upsets me. Seeing an obese child with obese parents in a restaurant with mounds of food in front of them & at the grocery store with a cart loaded with junk makes my blood boil. In fact, it upsets me so much that I believe that your child being obese (minus health CAUSES that are properly being treated) should be grounds for your child to be removed from your care.

So, what are subjects that truly upset you, or you are very passionate about? (aside from obvious issues such as abuse, which everyone should be passionately against)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

abuse is different. No, I would not mind my own business for that. (that also goes for the child walking around smelling like poop... which is gross gross)

However, the weight of the child, how they dress, what they eat, etc.. is not my business. The only time that stuff matters is when it is my child.

Quoting Cake.Lady:

Hmmm. So, if you saw/heard a child being abused, you would just mind your own business? I mean, I get minding your own business, in most cases, but obviously it's not always possible. It's also kind of hard to not notice blatantly obvious things.

Quoting Sekirei:

exactly... and I am passionate about people learning to mind their own business.. (-_-;)

Quoting Cake.Lady:

We are all human, & we all judge. We all have our pet peeves & things we are passionate about.

Quoting Sekirei:

It pisses me off when people can't mind their own business and places their own judgements on people for not following what they think is right.

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:36 PM
7 moms liked this
The best way to combat childhood obesity? Educational programs and better access to affordable, healthy food through sustainable food systems. Not judgement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cake.Lady
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM
PC-ness also gets my panties in a knot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cake.Lady
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM
I agree with educational programs.

Quoting krysstizzle:

The best way to combat childhood obesity? Educational programs and better access to affordable, healthy food through sustainable food systems. Not judgement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cake.Lady
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM
You don't feel like pumping a child full of unhealthy foods to the point they are morbidly obese & suffering from health problems to be abuse, or neglect at the very least? Children have about as much control over their diet & weight as a baby does over a poopy diaper.

Quoting Sekirei:

abuse is different. No, I would not mind my own business for that. (that also goes for the child walking around smelling like poop... which is gross gross)

However, the weight of the child, how they dress, what they eat, etc.. is not my business. The only time that stuff matters is when it is my child.

Quoting Cake.Lady:

Hmmm. So, if you saw/heard a child being abused, you would just mind your own business? I mean, I get minding your own business, in most cases, but obviously it's not always possible. It's also kind of hard to not notice blatantly obvious things.

Quoting Sekirei:

exactly... and I am passionate about people learning to mind their own business.. (-_-;)

Quoting Cake.Lady:

We are all human, & we all judge. We all have our pet peeves & things we are passionate about.

Quoting Sekirei:

It pisses me off when people can't mind their own business and places their own judgements on people for not following what they think is right.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Not the second part? Food deserts are a reality for a lot of people in this country , and a direct contributor to childhood obesity. Healthy food should be just as, if not more, readily available as crap food.

Quoting Cake.Lady:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

nope... if that is the only thing they can afford (which is not everyone, I know) I am just happy the kid is getting fed. removing the child is not going to 'cure' the issue. Judgement is not going to 'cure' it either. 

If you want to throw a few tips.. awesome.. get them a cookbook with cheaper healthy alternatives.. cool. Other than that, butt out. 

Quoting Cake.Lady:

You don't feel like pumping a child full of unhealthy foods to the point they are morbidly obese & suffering from health problems to be abuse, or neglect at the very least? Children have about as much control over their diet & weight as a baby does over a poopy diaper.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting Cake.Lady:

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting Cake.Lady:

Quoting Sekirei:

Cake.Lady
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Healthy food is cheaper, IMO, than junk, & just as easily available.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Not the second part? Food deserts are a reality for a lot of people in this country , and a direct contributor to childhood obesity. Healthy food should be just as, if not more, readily available as crap food.

Quoting Cake.Lady:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM
It gets to me too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
simple_ole_me
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm pretty easy going. My undies don't get wadded too much ... unless of course I see someone not putting their shopping cart where it belongs. That's usually cause for some cussing on my end.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured