Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

We see this a lot.  "Poor people are more likely to abuse"    "Pot heads are unmotivated wastes of space"  "Welfare moms are defrauding the system", "poor people shouldnt parent".

How does demonizing a group of people do anything but give the critic an undeserved ego boost?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Replies (121-130):
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting MyJaidon:
Quoting Cake.Lady:

Scientific data shows that poor people are more susceptible to perpetrating abuse, statistically. This isn't meant to be interpreted as "all poor people abuse their kids". It's simply saying that is the conclusion after gathering & scientifically analyzing a significant number of abuse cases & comparing the economic class levels of the perps.
And of course there's no way these "research findings" on which people base these hurtful and ignorant blanket statements, could be biased. There's no possibility of that I suppose.

While there might be biases in any research, that doesn't mean there is.

There are several types of abuse, and the highest correlation between poverty and abuse is found with neglect and with physical abuse.

It makes sense, once you think about it.  Many of the factors that increase the chances of those sorts of abuse (eg drinking, lack of anger management skills) are also factors that will tend to reduce someone's employability and earning potential.

You and I had a very long debate in HIO wherein you proved yourself a liar and a racist so of course you want to reinforce the idea that poor people are all the negative things you've attributed to the poor because the perception is that most black people are poor.  You, who defended a white south african racist pissed off that the blacks were in charge of SA in another group and the racist things she was fond of posting about those black leaders, have got me smh at you pretending your own pov isn't skewed toward demonizing blacks.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Quoting JonJon:

You and I had a very long debate in HIO wherein you proved yourself a liar and a racist so of course you want to reinforce the idea that poor people are all the negative things you've attributed to the poor because the perception is that most black people are poor.

oh for fucks sake

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

I guess you missed that I didn't choose to go off-topic with you in the other post; I'm certainly not getting into that off-topic discussion, here. 

I basically see you as a puppet being manipulated by and craving the approval of others and I have no respect for people who are so easily manipulated, no matter how isolated and starved for friends you may be.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting MyJaidon:
Quoting Clairwil:

Many of the factors that increase the chances of those sorts of abuse (eg drinking, lack of anger management skills) are also factors that will tend to reduce someone's employability and earning potential.
People who own businesses and money have drinking and anger problems too.

Obviously.

But if you were an employer deciding who to give a promotion to then, other things being equal between them, would you give the promotion to the drunkard with a criminal conviction for violence, or to the other person?

A rich drunk would probably hire another drunk so he'll have a drinking buddy, and even rich people get DUIs and get arrested and land in jail where they get released faster than poor people because they have the means.

What other person?

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I don't think it's for any other reason, darling!

wymama610
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM
WTF????

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting MyJaidon:

Quoting Cake.Lady:

Scientific data shows that poor people are more susceptible to perpetrating abuse, statistically. This isn't meant to be interpreted as "all poor people abuse their kids". It's simply saying that is the conclusion after gathering & scientifically analyzing a significant number of abuse cases & comparing the economic class levels of the perps.
And of course there's no way these "research findings" on which people
base these hurtful and ignorant blanket statements, could be biased.
There's no possibility of that I suppose.

There are several types of abuse, and the highest correlation between poverty and abuse is found with neglect and with physical abuse.

It makes sense, once you think about it.  Many of the factors that increase the chances of those sorts of abuse (eg drinking, lack of anger management skills) are also factors that will tend to reduce someone's employability and earning potential.

You and I had a very long debate in HIO wherein you proved yourself a liar and a racist so of course you want to reinforce the idea that poor people are all the negative things you've attributed to the poor because the perception is that most black people are poor.  You, who defended a white south african racist pissed off that the blacks were in charge of SA in another group and the racist things she was fond of posting about those black leaders, have got me smh at you pretending your own pov isn't skewed toward demonizing blacks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting MyJaidon:
Quoting Cake.Lady:

And of course there's no way these "research findings" on which people base these hurtful and ignorant blanket statements, could be biased. There's no possibility of that I suppose.

Why do you do that?  This is the second time in this thread you have brought up other groups where a lot of us are not members. 

Thats not cool.  Most dont even know what group you mean. 

I find it hard to believe Clairwil would ever lie.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

SlightlyPerfect
Yesterday at 12:02 PM
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

It depends on whether you're talking about demonization or data-driven conclusions.

slightlyperfect

SlightlyPerfect
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I really didn't know that about the difference between pedophiles and the general category of "sexual deviants." Thanks for teaching me something. :) That really helps me understand more data.

Quoting wickedfiress:
Quoting jllcali:

I really hate pedophiles. They are hideous. (for clarification, I am not referring to the high school kid who just turned 18 and gets popped for having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend)

The boy in the scenario you posted wouldn't be considered a pedophile anyway.

Pedophiles are those who prey on pre-pubecsent children.  Anyone whose victims are older than that are sexual deviants, but not considered pedophiles, technically.

slightlyperfect

SlightlyPerfect
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Austin Powers:

Don't play the laughing boy. There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Quoting Lissa0985:

Oh my God, what movie did that come from?

Driving me nuts. Lol

Quoting Tanya93:

I can't stand people who generalize groups of people.

And the Dutch.

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN