Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Cost of Prom

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM
  • 46 Replies

A recent report in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, estimated that the average cost of prom is a little over $1000 per teen.  What was even more surprising is that families earning less than $30k per year were reporting they planned on spending close to $2,635 (9% of their annual income on prom)

Here is the article: http://www.ajc.com/lifestyle/average-prom-cost-tops-1418698.html

Do you have teens that are attending prom this year or did you have teens attending in the last few?  Do you find these estimates to be accurate?  

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Bama_
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I would probaby say that we probably spent 800 on prom for two teens this year.

mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Wow. I know the cost of prom tickets has gone up, but this is still a bit over the top. I have a few years still, my oldest is in 7th grade. I don't know about averages, but I know that this is no where near what we will spend on proms. I plan to help with the tickets, and give a set amount for the dress and other expenses. Anything my kids want over and above that, they will have to earn.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Wow, that is surprising. my kids aren't there yet.

last year though my son graduated from 8 th grade. I was shocked at some of the families, custom made dresses, limos, etc....just for 8 th grade graduation. I guess I'd understand that for college, as that is an accomplishment, but 8 th grade? I won't even go into the class party, extravagant wouldn't begin to describe it.
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM

LOL dh and I went on the cheap.  Junior year I think my dress was $150, my shoes were $30, and my jewelry was around $30. A  friend did my hair for free, and my mom did my nails and makeup.  We went out to eat for about $70.  Dh's tux was $50 to rent at a discount place, and my corsage was...actually I don't know lol.  Our tickets came out to $40.
  So junior prom was about $370.

Senior prom tickets were cheaper since DH was a guest (he was a college freshman at the time).  So tickets were $30, dress was $200.  His tux was about $70.  Hair and nails and makeup were all done at home, I recycled my jewelry, but got new shoes.  I think they were around $60?  And  we did go out to eat, but some really nice couple next to us paid for the meal...
So...$360.

Even added together,  my proms aren't $1000

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM

That's insane!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM
3 moms liked this

That is insane.  If my kids want to spend that much, they better get jobs to pay for it.

3lilmonsters88
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM
LOL wow. When I went to senior prom in 2006. It only cost about 300. That was for my dress that was $75 gotta love Debs, my shoes were $15 from payless, my jewelry from Claire's was like $20 and tickets. Then my aunt who does hair and nails done mine for free and her friend did my makeup for free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steph2884
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM
My prom dress was a little over $100. I didn't buy any flowers. I spent $15 on dinner. I went with a group of friends, guys and girls! We all switched off with dance partners, and had an awesome time! I don't know what kind of stuff these girls are buying, but that is a lot of money! I spent that much on my wedding dress, flowers, and cake combined! I must just know how to get more for my money!
punky3175
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I've still got a few years but it better not be anywhere close to $1000 for either of my kids. I went to my senior prom way back in 1994 and I know my dress wasn't even $100; there was no limo - he borrowed his mom's car; we went to dinner at a nice restaurant which MAY have been $100; and I can't remember what tickets cost. I did pay for hair and nails but that wasn't much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3lilmonsters88
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Oh and my uncle's gf is a photographer LOL.

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

LOL wow. When I went to senior prom in 2006. It only cost about 300. That was for my dress that was $75 gotta love Debs, my shoes were $15 from payless, my jewelry from Claire's was like $20 and tickets. Then my aunt who does hair and nails done mine for free and her friend did my makeup for free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN