Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What about the rich?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM
  • 221 Replies

How do you feel about those that are wealthy? Model, Actor, CEO, Government official, Tycoon, Royalty, and Athlete.

Do you think they deserve their wealth?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahLizyB
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Some deserve it, some don't. I've met several extremely wealthy people and they just seem miserable. I'm not saying they're all that way, just the ones I met.
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:12 AM
3 moms liked this
Quoting MissElissa21:

How do you feel about those that are wealthy? Model, Actor, CEO, Government official, Tycoon, Royalty, and Athlete.

Do you think they deserve their wealth?

I'd like to see resources owned (ie controlled) by those who will make the most effective use of those resources for the benefit of humankind.

One of the ways resources can be used for humankind's benefit is to increase the total amount of resources so, human nature being responsive to incentive, it makes sense to let people keep a fraction of the new resources they contribute to creating.

But that's not the only way resources benefit people, and it would be good to see other such activities incentivised too.

If someone owning resources doesn't make effective use of them, or uses them to the detriment of humankind, then the sooner their resources leave their control the better.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:14 AM

I have no problem with it. Kudos to them.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM
9 moms liked this

Absolutely!  People have the right to be anything they want.  If they work hard, get to a place where their earning potential is high, more power to them and GOOD FOR THEM!

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting toomanypoodles:

earning potential

Financial wealth and income are different things.

Cake.Lady
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Wtf? Although I realize you refrained from giving your personal opinion in the OP, did you purposely only include people who do not hold socially accepted 'blue collar' jobs? The jobs you mentioned outwardly 'seem' cushy. Push numbers, make millions. Play a fun game of football, make millions. Sit behind a desk, make millions.

Although my husband is technically a ceo, he is still a blue collar worker. He does not have what is generally seen as a cushy job.

To answer your question, the rich absolutely deserve their wealth. Without the prospect of wealth (or at least a very decent living), there would be absolutely no incentive for our corporate infrastructure. Society & the economy would crumble without the wealthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
avajeansmomma
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Sure? Deserving or not, being jealous of it will not help any ones situation. 

Lucky2haveLiam
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes. Especially famous people. I mean look at it this way, how much would you sell every last bit of you and your families privacy? I

Tinkerbellmama
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Athletes, models, actors, royalty, government officials? Hell no. It's a waste of money. Especially government officials!

Everyone else, well, either they worked hard to make that money or their family did and left it to them.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Some do some don't...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)