Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How do you feel about those that are wealthy? Model, Actor, CEO, Government official, Tycoon, Royalty, and Athlete.

Do you think they deserve their wealth?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Replies (41-50):
DixieL
by Dixie on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I think people deserve what they work for. If they work and are promised a certain amount of money, then they should get it. If they have a lot of money I hope the use a little to help the poor people that can't find a job and are starving, but that isn't up to me

DixieL
by Dixie on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting SarahLizyB:

Some deserve it, some don't. I've met several extremely wealthy people and they just seem miserable. I'm not saying they're all that way, just the ones I met.

If they use some of it to help poor people maybe they would feel better about themselve's. Just an idea

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Quoting kam013:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Why would they not deserve it?  They earned it.

I am not understanding why some wealth/high salaries seem acceptable and other not acceptable. 

In my post specifically I mentioned that I think entertainers and athletes are overpaid.  I'm not saying they didn't EARN it, they did, based on what we as a society have deemed they are VALUED AT. 

I am just saying IMHO for what they do, they are over paid.  I mean really some of these athletes are making millions of dollars PER GAME.  Do I think that their talent is worth that much in the whole scheme of things?  No I do not.  I think there are people who do far more important jobs than throwing a football, that are far less valued and shouldn't be.  Don't get me wrong I love football, hockey, sports in general.  I also love going to see my favorite actors in the movies, so yes in reality I contribute to them being overpaid . . .  but I definitely think they are overpaid. 

Again, I reiterate, I have absolutely NO ISSUE with people making millions of dollars.  I just think the way we place value on specific industries may be skewed.

Athletes also are paid what we're willing to pay.  We (general we) have no problem paying $100-$400 a seat or more to watch them play.  To sellout crowds.  If we all didn't do that, they wouldn't make that money.

kam013
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting kam013:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I am not understanding why some wealth/high salaries seem acceptable and other not acceptable. 

In my post specifically I mentioned that I think entertainers and athletes are overpaid.  I'm not saying they didn't EARN it, they did, based on what we as a society have deemed they are VALUED AT. 

I am just saying IMHO for what they do, they are over paid.  I mean really some of these athletes are making millions of dollars PER GAME.  Do I think that their talent is worth that much in the whole scheme of things?  No I do not.  I think there are people who do far more important jobs than throwing a football, that are far less valued and shouldn't be.  Don't get me wrong I love football, hockey, sports in general.  I also love going to see my favorite actors in the movies, so yes in reality I contribute to them being overpaid . . .  but I definitely think they are overpaid. 

Again, I reiterate, I have absolutely NO ISSUE with people making millions of dollars.  I just think the way we place value on specific industries may be skewed.

Athletes also are paid what we're willing to pay.  We (general we) have no problem paying $100-$400 a seat or more to watch them play.  To sellout crowds.  If we all didn't do that, they wouldn't make that money.

I absolutely agree that "WE" as a society have allowed it to happen (which is what I stated in my initial post).  We place VALUE on certain industries and therefore they receive the compensation that we are willing to shell out. 

That being said, where does the line finally get drawn?  Ticket prices for sporting event and movies are through the roof.  It is almost to the point where only the "Rich/elite" can afford to go see a football game.  Somewhere it has to slow down, when does enough money to throw a football becomes enough?? 

MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM

yup

Quoting NWP:

Wow....That is a blanket question~!

MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Can't find a job or won't work the job that's available?

Quoting DixieL:

I think people deserve what they work for. If they work and are promised a certain amount of money, then they should get it. If they have a lot of money I hope the use a little to help the poor people that can't find a job and are starving, but that isn't up to me

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM

A big piece of money is paid out by the company that recruits them, be it a record company, a studio, or a sports team.  These high dollar base lines set a tone.

I think money has destroyed professional sports so I totally disagree with multimillion dollar contracts and the endorsements that come with them.  No if they  made a smaller salary and companies wanted their endorsement that wouldnt be an issue for me, it allows the great to stand out as perhaps they should.  However the money in the game has eliminated team spirit and loyalty to both team and fan.

As far as artists and other celebrities, I think our society places entirely too much value on entertainment.  We are entirely too star struck and too much talent is lost due to that fact.  It makes it hard for talent to get seen as "unknowns" struggle even though they may be extremely talented.  "The Look" that is big today is being fed to us and in some ways we are manipulated as a society with fashion and pop culture.

I think in general unrestrained unregulated capitalism has shown itself to be a vessel of greed where a lot of lowly people are becoming stuck in places with no opportunity for growth or advancement so that those with the money can hold on to it..

Quoting MissElissa21:

Their money comes from endorsements and ticket sales, so who is to blame for them making too much money in your opinion? 

Quoting survivorinohio:

I think actors musicians and athletes all make too much money.

I think there are too many wealthy people who have no sense of responsibility to their community.

I also think that too many people are concerned with showing others what  they have, flashing money etc, and that they should be more humble.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Quoting kam013:

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting kam013:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I absolutely agree that "WE" as a society have allowed it to happen (which is what I stated in my initial post).  We place VALUE on certain industries and therefore they receive the compensation that we are willing to shell out. 

And those athletes worked hard to fill that stadium. They spent so much of their time away from family and friends, they push their bodies to the limit during practices and games, they risk serious injury or death to entertain a crowd willing to pay that much for a seat. They get a big chunk of their money from endorsements and wouldn't be able to get that if we did not relate to them or idolize them. 

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Quoting MissElissa21:

Quoting kam013:

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting kam013:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

And those athletes worked hard to fill that stadium. They spent so much of their time away from family and friends, they push their bodies to the limit during practices and games, they risk serious injury or death to entertain a crowd willing to pay that much for a seat. They get a big chunk of their money from endorsements and wouldn't be able to get that if we did not relate to them or idolize them. 

But it used to be a sport.  A game.  Team players were loved and loved each other.  Today its a business and I am not all together sure its not a rigged business. Football anyhow.

And I will add that loyalty to the fans who largely fund their existance is very low.  Ask any Browns fan from the 90s.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

kam013
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Quoting MissElissa21:

Quoting kam013:

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting kam013:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I agree that they work hard, never implied that they didn't . . . . but a million+ per game hard.  I honestly don't think so. 

Lots of people travel A LOT for work, lots of people take daily risks for their jobs, there are even people out there who work to save other peoples lives that don't make the money these people make for entertainment purposes. 

I don't blame them for taking advantage of the opportunities they are afforded, who wouldn't. 

Again, I have NO ISSUE with anyone making tons and tons of money.  I just disagree with the specific VALUE we place on certain jobs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)