Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How do you feel about those that are wealthy? Model, Actor, CEO, Government official, Tycoon, Royalty, and Athlete.

Do you think they deserve their wealth?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Replies (81-90):
MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM

What would be your criteria for hurting others?

Quoting joey125:

I think its great, I have no problem with folks who are rich, good for them, as long as they are not breaking the law, or hurting others its fine with me.

jonellg
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

it's not something I think about. But I do think it's stupid that we pay actors more than cops/teachers/FF

MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting PSchneider:

I'll have to look for the citations, but 72% of those considered millionaires - those who have a net worth in excess of $1 million, acquired their wealth on their own.  In other words, they weren't born to it.  Something like 59% of them became millionaires within the last 10 years.

Honestly have to say, I have a problem with the last question, do the wealthy deserve their wealth?  The question begs the assumption that someone other than the wealthy have any say in the matter.

Jealousy is an ugly thing and it doesn't bode well for breaking through and making it on your own.

For the record, I was born to what would be considered poverty.  My oldest brother and sister quit school to work because of my mom's medical bills.  She couldn't work which only doubled the financial stress.  For most of his life, my dad worked 2 jobs plus occasional work on the side.  He was a good man with little education and did the best he could.  Never once did we begrudge those who had a better financial situation.  

What my kids and I currently have, my exDH and I earned.  It's not that I make the case that we deserve what we have, but rather it's really no one else's business.  

If the wealthy didn't break the law to acquire their money, the word "deserve" really doesn't belong in the conversation.

You're right, nobody else really has a say in whether wealth is deserved or not. It was the point of the post in a way. 

MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Yup

Quoting AmazonRed:

"Deserve"?

Seriously?

AlmostFamous
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I don't neccesarily think they do not deserve it, in our society, these are the ppl we look up to unfortunately, but I don't understand what the hell they need with Millions of dollars? I think the real celebrities should be the Military, Police officers, Firemen, and people like that who put their lives on the line for us.  Why is it that just because someone can act or looks pretty enough to be on a magazine, we just hand millions of dollars to them? I know that the military, etc, do not do their jobs for the money, but come on.....They deserve the money more than an actor, model, singer does. IMO.

MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I hate that cops and teachers don't get paid what many are worth! I wonder if somewhere someone has the thought that if they paid more for these positions of power there would be more people doing these jobs for the wrong reasons and that's why they don't get the funding they should. 

Quoting jonellg:

it's not something I think about. But I do think it's stupid that we pay actors more than cops/teachers/FF

Jacqalyn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I will spend the money on how it was meant to be spent to pay bills. My point is I will not brag about how much money I have when in reality I didn't work for it. I know there are some out there who parents gave them money and treat the fact of how they got it with respect. It's those who don't and act like they worked for it and they deserve it. It's those type of people I have a problem with.

Quoting MissElissa21:

In short your issue is the flashy part of being wealthy. Will you then feel guilt spending the money you inherit? Could you then be judged on the purchases you make?

Note: I am not being mean, or trying to sound pushy, I just have a curious mind :)

Quoting Jacqalyn:

No there is no jealous on my part. I just hate hearing people brag about how much money they have when they never worked for it. It was handed to them. When my grandfather was alive he started his own oil business  which now belongs to my mom and her brothers. They receive quite a bit of money each month from their business. All they have to do is make sure the wells are still pumping correctly and occasionally fix things that need to be fixed. Other then that all they have to do is sit back and enjoy the wealth. Once they have passed on the business will be then inherited to myself, my siblings, and my cousins. So I know I have an inheritance coming to me that is worth a lot of money but I can guarantee I will not be bragging because I know the only person who can really brag is the man that put all of his blood sweat in tears in the business so that his family will always be taken care of.

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting Jacqalyn:

Those who worked for it yes they do. Those who had it handed to them on a silver platter and have never had to work for it No. How can a person say they are rich when they are living off their parent hard earned money?

Wow. That so smacks of jealousy. If parents leave their money to them, why don't they deserve it?

AmazonRed
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I know a lot of people who are rich, wealthy, well off, etc...  

None of them brag about their money.  The braggarts tend to be the ones so over extended and living on credit that they're about 3 bad weeks away from being broke.  The ones who actually have a lot of money tend to have a different mindset.  They didn't come from money, had to break their backs to get what they have and never forget that.  They like to live on less than they make.  Their kids are drilled on a regular basis about how hard mom 'n dad had to work, so the kids have to work also.  Most of them actually have their kids working for them early on.  

If you've run into jerks who like to brag about their money, keep an eye on them.  If it hasn't happened already, there's a big change coming on the horizon.  

Long story short, those who like to pretend they have money usually live more lavish lifestyles than those that actually have money.

Quoting Jacqalyn:

No there is no jealous on my part. I just hate hearing people brag about how much money they have when they never worked for it. It was handed to them. When my grandfather was alive he started his own oil business  which now belongs to my mom and her brothers. They receive quite a bit of money each month from their business. All they have to do is make sure the wells are still pumping correctly and occasionally fix things that need to be fixed. Other then that all they have to do is sit back and enjoy the wealth. Once they have passed on the business will be then inherited to myself, my siblings, and my cousins. So I know I have an inheritance coming to me that is worth a lot of money but I can guarantee I will not be bragging because I know the only person who can really brag is the man that put all of his blood sweat in tears in the business so that his family will always be taken care of.

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting Jacqalyn:

Those who worked for it yes they do. Those who had it handed to them on a silver platter and have never had to work for it No. How can a person say they are rich when they are living off their parent hard earned money?

Wow. That so smacks of jealousy. If parents leave their money to them, why don't they deserve it?

kleea1969
by Kristine on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM
The reason they make too much money is because the public wants to spend on them. I use to get so frustrated with the fact that a sports figure makes a zillion dollars a year, yet a police officer or a teacher makes pennies. Then I realized its not their fault that society is so simple minded and ensures those big checks keep coming. We created it. I agree with the flashiness and I think new wealth tends to be more flashy then old wealth which has a bit more class most of the time. You can spot a person that has been around it, and one that has fallen into it, by the need to show. It can be really humorous when it's not down right sad that low self esteem beats on so many.

Quoting survivorinohio:

I think actors musicians and athletes all make too much money.

I think there are too many wealthy people who have no sense of responsibility to their community.

I also think that too many people are concerned with showing others what  they have, flashing money etc, and that they should be more humble.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SDarvasi
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I feel if you work hard for something, you deserve  the rewards. But I also think that money changes people, and for those who came from nothing sometimes become greedy when they become wealthy, and forget about those who helped them get there. Then there's also the issue with how much is too much?? Like, do we really need to be paid $20 million dollars for a movie we act in? Or $1 million dollars per episode of a tv show we're on? Or do we really need that 14 bedroom home with 6 bathrooms and 12 cars??

Money is so easily abused.....and although I agree that those who work hard shouldn't have to pay everyone else's way...there is also a fine line that should be drawn, where there should be a point where they need to give back..and maybe NOT expect such a high paycheck. Greed is a horrible thing that has been destroying humanity for ages.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)