Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How do you feel about those that are wealthy? Model, Actor, CEO, Government official, Tycoon, Royalty, and Athlete.

Do you think they deserve their wealth?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Replies (91-100):
Tinkerbellmama
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Eh, rich athletes and celebrities don't really effect me, do I think they desrve that much money, no. But whatever.

Royalty and government officials, now that directly effects people. Their income is tax dollars. Granted America has no royalty so that doesn't effect me, but government officials? That's bull. If their money is something that they earned prior to gaining office, that's their money. But any money they've received by the government, that directly concerns every US citizen. It's a waste of money to pay someone well over $100K PLUS expenses to work a few months a year. When in most cases their "work" is getting paid by big companies to lobby for them.

Quoting SAHM_12:

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Athletes, models, actors, royalty, government officials? Hell no. It's a waste of money. Especially government officials!

Everyone else, well, either they worked hard to make that money or their family did and left it to them.

Your comment makes me laugh. Sounds to me you are jealous of them. It shouldn't matter who is rich. They worked hard and deserve every penny of it.

MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Who gets to draw the line? I agree money changes people, but not always in a bad way. I think money has to change people in a way. Friends come out of the woodwork looking for you to repay them for the smallest thing they did to help you get where you are. And some lose sight of friendship. Do people help others for possible future monetary gain, or out of the goodness of their hearts? Should we feel entitled to a piece of the action because we knew someone way back when? 

Different people "need" different things. I would want a 14 br house if I ever had enough money to buy one, at first to say I had one, and 2nd to turn it into something that would utilize all of the rooms. 

Quoting SDarvasi:

I feel if you work hard for something, you deserve  the rewards. But I also think that money changes people, and for those who came from nothing sometimes become greedy when they become wealthy, and forget about those who helped them get there. Then there's also the issue with how much is too much?? Like, do we really need to be paid $20 million dollars for a movie we act in? Or $1 million dollars per episode of a tv show we're on? Or do we really need that 14 bedroom home with 6 bathrooms and 12 cars??

Money is so easily abused.....and although I agree that those who work hard shouldn't have to pay everyone else's way...there is also a fine line that should be drawn, where there should be a point where they need to give back..and maybe NOT expect such a high paycheck. Greed is a horrible thing that has been destroying humanity for ages.

SDarvasi
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Quoting MissElissa21:

Who gets to draw the line? I agree money changes people, but not always in a bad way. I think money has to change people in a way. Friends come out of the woodwork looking for you to repay them for the smallest thing they did to help you get where you are. And some lose sight of friendship. Do people help others for possible future monetary gain, or out of the goodness of their hearts? Should we feel entitled to a piece of the action because we knew someone way back when? 

Different people "need" different things. I would want a 14 br house if I ever had enough money to buy one, at first to say I had one, and 2nd to turn it into something that would utilize all of the rooms. 

Quoting SDarvasi:

I feel if you work hard for something, you deserve  the rewards. But I also think that money changes people, and for those who came from nothing sometimes become greedy when they become wealthy, and forget about those who helped them get there. Then there's also the issue with how much is too much?? Like, do we really need to be paid $20 million dollars for a movie we act in? Or $1 million dollars per episode of a tv show we're on? Or do we really need that 14 bedroom home with 6 bathrooms and 12 cars??

Money is so easily abused.....and although I agree that those who work hard shouldn't have to pay everyone else's way...there is also a fine line that should be drawn, where there should be a point where they need to give back..and maybe NOT expect such a high paycheck. Greed is a horrible thing that has been destroying humanity for ages.

Well, that's your decision. I think it's unessesary, seeing as there are families in thrid world countries living in one shack, trying to survive. I personally think having a home that covers your basic needs and have some nice things in it is fair enough. There's no need for oversized homes or cars or anything that you essentially don't really need. Money changes everyone! For better or for the worse. Sure, people pop out of nowhere asking for handouts. Well, geez, when someone is making $50 million a year, I would half expect them to want to help, rather than keeping the money for themselves. I would re0evaluate who is my realy friend and who isn't, for sure...but I certainly don't think that anyone should be paid millions for doing something that non famous people get paid WAY less for.

The red quote was for your comment...because you say "need" and then "Want" in the same sentence. TWO different things. Someone NEEDS a roof over their head. They WANT 14 bedrooms.

Sure, you could find things to do with those rooms, but if you don't have 13 kids, what's the point? Couldn't that money be used for something produtcive? something that give back to the world? Something that makes you looks...oh, I don't know...not so materialistic???

And who gets to draw the line?? I think employers should. Anyone who is paying these people should draw the line. It's ridiculous the amount of money people get paid all because some CEO of the corporation that represents them needs the continous cash flow so he can keep those 5 houses in 5 countries and thousands of things he doesn't "need". 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Sure.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Deserve is a loaded word.

I think I'm not willing to do what it takes to get that kind of fame/fortune, so I don't envy them at all.

Amyinthesky
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Ones that have earned do , some do not. What does it matter, What should be asked is if it is ok for them to have vast wealth when there is a clear cut poverty problem around the world. 

mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Anyone who works hard deserves what they earn. I know some rich people who worked very hard to get where they are. I know some poor people who work very hard and seem to get nowhere.

MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Do you know who sets their salaries? I don't think a lot of people understand how important it is to vote and know who you are voting for! Many people say their not heard and so they don't vote for the POTUS, but don't see that we voted for the POTUS a long time ago when we voted in our local representatives. They are so concerned with voting or not voting for the POTUS they don't even bother to see that when you elect someone locally that holds similar views to you they network up and vote in the higher officials. It takes time to change, and all of the attention is helping younger people and those that have not voted in the past to learn a little more and make a more informed decision. The businesses in the equation are there for money. They have it, the government needs it. I think Politicians try and make sure the money is coming from an acceptable place that has similar values to their campaign, but without trust and honesty in Politics, there is no real way for the citizens to tell. There is so much to gain from being a supporter of a Politician that wins their campaign, like a say in some laws that may affect them once they are in office. 

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Eh, rich athletes and celebrities don't really effect me, do I think they desrve that much money, no. But whatever.

Royalty and government officials, now that directly effects people. Their income is tax dollars. Granted America has no royalty so that doesn't effect me, but government officials? That's bull. If their money is something that they earned prior to gaining office, that's their money. But any money they've received by the government, that directly concerns every US citizen. It's a waste of money to pay someone well over $100K PLUS expenses to work a few months a year. When in most cases their "work" is getting paid by big companies to lobby for them.

Quoting SAHM_12:

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Athletes, models, actors, royalty, government officials? Hell no. It's a waste of money. Especially government officials!

Everyone else, well, either they worked hard to make that money or their family did and left it to them.

Your comment makes me laugh. Sounds to me you are jealous of them. It shouldn't matter who is rich. They worked hard and deserve every penny of it.

Tinkerbellmama
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Dude, they set their OWN salaries! They vote in their own pay raises!

It's the most unethical business there is. They work for the companies that pad their pockets even more, not the US citizens that elect them. It's disgusting.

Quoting MissElissa21:

Do you know who sets their salaries? I don't think a lot of people understand how important it is to vote and know who you are voting for! Many people say their not heard and so they don't vote for the POTUS, but don't see that we voted for the POTUS a long time ago when we voted in our local representatives. They are so concerned with voting or not voting for the POTUS they don't even bother to see that when you elect someone locally that holds similar views to you they network up and vote in the higher officials. It takes time to change, and all of the attention is helping younger people and those that have not voted in the past to learn a little more and make a more informed decision. The businesses in the equation are there for money. They have it, the government needs it. I think Politicians try and make sure the money is coming from an acceptable place that has similar values to their campaign, but without trust and honesty in Politics, there is no real way for the citizens to tell. There is so much to gain from being a supporter of a Politician that wins their campaign, like a say in some laws that may affect them once they are in office. 

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Quoting SAHM_12:

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

SDarvasi
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Quoting mandaday:

Anyone who works hard deserves what they earn. I know some rich people who worked very hard to get where they are. I know some poor people who work very hard and seem to get nowhere.

So..then how does your thought process make sense?

If everyone who works very hard, deserve what they earn, then are you saying poor people who work hard deserve to go nowhere?

You need to clarify.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN