Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

RETURN TO DEBTOR'S PRISON

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:55 AM
  • 29 Replies

A cancer patient ended up in prison for a 280.00$ bill that wasn't a bill that belonged to her.

Lisa Lindsay a breast cancer survivor received a medical bill in error, she was told that she didn't need to worry but the bill went to collections and deputies arrived and took her to prison, in HERRIN Illinois.

Although the US out lawed debtors prisons in 1830s, people are now being brought to court and prison for small amounts, and almost every debt you could owe from hospital bills to credit card. 

Although you aren't going to jail for none payment, it is not responding to court dates and collection payments that will land you in jail. The full story can be read at yahoo news.

I am flabbergasted, of all the things, debtors prison wow, we have overcrowding and preconceived notions about the types of people behind bars. Financial hard times is too much. This world needs help! SMDH *SIGH*

In my Opininon No Disrespect

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually, people are going to prison for being in Contempt of Court if they don't respond to a court date. Not for the debt itself, however, Debtors prison has never fully disappeared. People can end up in jail for 2 particular debts. Taxes and Child Support. 

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I know, I thought about it, the thing that got me is the cancer survivor was arrested for a bill in error. She disregarded after inquiries that told her to disregard, how do you fix that? Rock and hard place. Child support makes less sense, we are playing to house them, and they still aren't paying for their kids! SMH!

Quoting GOBryan:

Actually, people are going to prison for being in Contempt of Court if they don't respond to a court date. Not for the debt itself, however, Debtors prison has never fully disappeared. People can end up in jail for 2 particular debts. Taxes and Child Support. 

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

None of it makes sense. There's many innocent people in prison due to mistakes and misunderstandings but they pay just the same because many don't have the money to fight the charges or errors. 

Quoting charleyd68:

I know, I thought about it, the thing that got me is the cancer survivor was arrested for a bill in error. She disregarded after inquiries that told her to disregard, how do you fix that? Rock and hard place. Child support makes less sense, we are playing to house them, and they still aren't paying for their kids! SMH!

Quoting GOBryan:

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:32 AM

That is gospel. It is so backward I marvel at it. But it scares me, I get error charges frequently, I spend hours straightening out things, then it takes months before they clear my accounts. I have disability, when I first qualified I was told I'm judgement proof but with these nuts who are trying to become the leader of the free world who could know come next year. KWIM?

Quoting GOBryan:

None of it makes sense. There's many innocent people in prison due to mistakes and misunderstandings but they pay just the same because many don't have the money to fight the charges or errors. 

Quoting charleyd68:

Quoting GOBryan:

mommy2b39465
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, those companies get on my nerves! DH had a student loan of around 6,000, and we KNEW we had paid on it. Well, the loan got sold to another company, who started spelling DH's name wrong and billed us the full amount. We told them that we refused to pay until his name was corrected and they could give us the records of our payments, but the new company doesn't have them and the old company wont give them out because we're not their customer anymore. They told us it would not hit his credit for now. We're buying a house, and guess what: they hit his credit score. We're furious. We've looked up our bank statements, and it looks like we've actually paid around 4,000 of that loan already. We knew we had paid on that thing!
Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Student loan companies are notorious for saying they won't hit your credit score- and then doing so. They do it all the time- even for a slightly late payment.

Just figure that you're being lied to by them, because you likely are.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

Oh, those companies get on my nerves! DH had a student loan of around 6,000, and we KNEW we had paid on it. Well, the loan got sold to another company, who started spelling DH's name wrong and billed us the full amount. We told them that we refused to pay until his name was corrected and they could give us the records of our payments, but the new company doesn't have them and the old company wont give them out because we're not their customer anymore. They told us it would not hit his credit for now. We're buying a house, and guess what: they hit his credit score. We're furious. We've looked up our bank statements, and it looks like we've actually paid around 4,000 of that loan already. We knew we had paid on that thing!

mommy2b39465
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

yep! The reason why we refused to pay, and we told them this, is because we figured that if we started paying on it with the mistakes still there, it was like us accepting the mistakes as true. And, with my student loan a couple years back, I did a full payoff of 12,000. Thank goodness I had written down the confirmation number on a voided check I had, because a couple weeks later they started calling me again, and I found out that they had applied my 12,000 to someone else's account. 

Quoting Raintree:

Student loan companies are notorious for saying they won't hit your credit score- and then doing so. They do it all the time- even for a slightly late payment.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

That's because they're staffed by people who upgraded jobs from Taco Bell to Nelnet- or whichever company. All the same- lol.

You're lucky in a way that you're getting them paid off. My husband and I have student loan debt out the wazoo thanks to our parents who signed documents for us after forcing us to go to private, religious colleges (not forced, but strongly coerced, lets say- hard to overcome the brainwashing at first) and left us with the bill for degrees we could have probably taught ourselves through- and in my husbands case, he essentially did. It's delightful.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

yep! The reason why we refused to pay, and we told them this, is because we figured that if we started paying on it with the mistakes still there, it was like us accepting the mistakes as true. And, with my student loan a couple years back, I did a full payoff of 12,000. Thank goodness I had written down the confirmation number on a voided check I had, because a couple weeks later they started calling me again, and I found out that they had applied my 12,000 to someone else's account. 

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting mommy2b39465:

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Man I hate that crap. My Husband got his tax return taken more times then we care to admit. But yet they bugged us, and tried to take mine it was a nightmare!

Quoting mommy2b39465:

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:58 AM

we fought it til the cows came home I was the squeaky wheel til they fix it! LOL

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting mommy2b39465:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)