Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Financial Aid edit

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM
  • 53 Replies

First I want to say this is all my opinion and it's based on my observations.

I think financial aid is severely misused. I started out the past 2 semesters with all my classes full and over 2/3s of the classes were financial aid people. Well now the semester is over and my classes have like 10 people left in each class.  My school has a no withdraw policy.  So if you don't show up you just get an F. That works out for some people on financial aid because they don't have to pay the financial aid back if they get an F.

I am all for financial aid if it is acutally being used for school and that person is trying to better themselves.  I know getting all A's is next to impossible for most people.  I just feel if someone is receiving assistance they shouldn't be allowed to get F's and it be okay.  I know there are circumstances where a person just doesn't get the subject matter and may have to take the course over again.  I understand that, I just think there should be a time where a person should be faced with the reality of how much they are actually getting in assistance. 

I know I just rambled on and on.  I hope it made some sense.  Just to clarify I am not bashing financial aid. 

Edit:I should have clarified.  I was kinda irritiated when I wrote this.  I meant grants. 

"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage need not be lived again."

Maya Angelou

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

If a person receives financial aid and misuses it or drops out not only will they never be eligible for financial assistance (pell grants, some student loans) again, he/she might have to repay what they received.

ETA:

I forgot to mention that grants require a certain GPA which I believe is a C average.

Tanya93
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Personally, I am waiting for the pell grants and students loans to be given initially to people in majors that have potential for earning money once you graduate or to give higher interest rates on loans for degrees with low earning potential.  This cannot go on forever and people cannot expect their loans to be forgiven because they took 150K in loans to go to a school to major in puppetry.

Note, I am not saying people cannot major in what they want to major.   Just that other people don't have to fund it.

chelsieb84
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I have seen a few people fail most of their classes and come back the following semester and are still on finanical aid. 

I would hope that they have to pay it back.  One of my instructors said that if they get an F the student gets a second chance to take the class.  If they fail it the second time then they have to pay it back and won't be able to take the class again. 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

If a person receives financial aid and misuses it or drops out not only will they never be eligible for financial assistance (pell grants, some student loans) again, he/she might have to repay what they received.

ETA:

I forgot to mention that grants require a certain GPA which I believe is a C average.

"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage need not be lived again."

Maya Angelou

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Quoting Tanya93:

Personally, I am waiting for the pell grants and students loans to be given initially to people in majors that have potential for earning money once you graduate or to give higher interest rates on loans for degrees with low earning potential.  This cannot go on forever and people cannot expect their loans to be forgiven because they took 150K in loans to go to a school to major in puppetry.

Note, I am not saying people cannot major in what they want to major.   Just that other people don't have to fund it.

I was super anoyed to find that people's loans were being forgiven.

mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Almost 40% of people who drop out of college do so due to finacial pressure. It makes some sense to me that the same people who would qualify for financial aid may later find themselves unable to attend because they have other obligations that they must work to tend to.

When I went to college I was a single mom. I did get financial aid, but I still had to work full time to cover rent, childcare, living costs, etc. Sometimes it did get to be almost too much to juggle. I can see how trying to do all of that can be more than someone can do.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Quoting chelsieb84:

I have seen a few people fail most of their classes and come back the following semester and are still on finanical aid. 

I would hope that they have to pay it back.  One of my instructors said that if they get an F the student gets a second chance to take the class.  If they fail it the second time then they have to pay it back and won't be able to take the class again. 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

ETA:

Are you annoyed that people get a second chance?

chelsieb84
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Why would I be annoyed at that? I just don't think it's right for people to fail and not care.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting chelsieb84:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

ETA:

Maya Angelou

illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I agree with you, and while its sad, I agree that if you want to get a degree in something that will qualify you for nothing, you shouldn't do it on someone else's dime.

I am an IT student right now, and I know with my bachelors and CISCO certification I will be hireable. DH and I already decided that the kid's college funds are only for useful majors. If they want to major in something that has no career prospects then they can pay for it themselves. I'm not handing my kids $100,000 to major in theater. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I truly feel that way.

Quoting Tanya93:

Tanya93
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Your money, your rules.

My son's college fund is for him to learn and get a degree he feels he needs.  I don't care what he majors in, although I would question the practically in majoring in certain things and ask if he would consider a double a major.

I just know this is the next bubble to burst.  People who think their loans should be forgiven because they majored in stuff that isn't going to allow them to pay back their loans in full.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I agree with you, and while its sad, I agree that if you want to get a degree in something that will qualify you for nothing, you shouldn't do it on someone else's dime.

I am an IT student right now, and I know with my bachelors and CISCO certification I will be hireable. DH and I already decided that the kid's college funds are only for useful majors. If they want to major in something that has no career prospects then they can pay for it themselves. I'm not handing my kids $100,000 to major in theater. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I truly feel that way.

Quoting Tanya93:

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Quoting chelsieb84:

Why would I be annoyed at that? I just don't think it's right for people to fail and not care.

I think I understand your intention. I just don't get how you can know that "everyone" who fails, and happens to receive pell grants doesn't care. That's a huge assumption.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)