Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you...

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:57 AM
  • 20 Replies

Do whatever you could to stay alive as long as you can if you were diagnosed with a terminal disease?

Would you just allow it to take you?

I have seen it go both ways and in one case she was able to gain 18 mo.  Thats worth it I think.

A few mo, not so much.

Thoughts?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I have young kids. I would fight for my life, if for nothing than to show my kids that life is worth fighting for.

25 years from now I might let it take me.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:02 AM

The thing is...you don't know if you're gonna be the one who gets 18 mos or a few months. So it's always worth it to fight if you have any quality of life. I knew a woman who was given 6 months to live and she lived for 3 years. 

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:02 AM

There are too many variables to answer this question.  I would do what I could as long as I could live well.  If my time was extremely limited and my suffering and needs were great I would seek out assistance under our state's Death with Dignity law and would use a small amount of time to help my family understand my choice to die.  

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM

At this stage of my life (I have three young kiddos), I would do whatever I had to do to stay alive.  I don't know what decision I would make at a different stage of life.  I think that the older my kids get, the more of a factor my own quality of life would be.  But, at this point, staying alive would be the only factor and only concern.

mommyto3bees
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:07 AM

i would do whatever it took to stay alive of course

mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM

My family just had this discussion a few months ago when my MIL was diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer. For me, if there was a chance of beating the cancer and living 5, 10, 20 more years, I would fight it. But I am terribly afraid of chemo. So if I was only going to live a few months without it, and maybe only gain a year or so with it, I made the choice that I would not take the treatment and spend my last few months living as much as I could.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:25 AM
3 moms liked this

I think it would depend on my age, the disease, the cost to lengthen my life, and what's going on all around me at the time.

ms.sophsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM
I would fight
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I don't know.

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I do know a survivor, 6 yrs after stage 4 lymphoma, and chemo was no biggy for him, though he did lose his hair.

It would greatly depend on the toxicity of the treatment.  Some people arent phased while others are nearly killed by their cure.

Quoting mandaday:

My family just had this discussion a few months ago when my MIL was diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer. For me, if there was a chance of beating the cancer and living 5, 10, 20 more years, I would fight it. But I am terribly afraid of chemo. So if I was only going to live a few months without it, and maybe only gain a year or so with it, I made the choice that I would not take the treatment and spend my last few months living as much as I could.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)