Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A philosophical discussion:

1.  The belief in God is needed to act morally.

2.  If the belief in God is needed to act morally, then it's immoral to be an atheist.

3.  Therefore, it's immoral to be an atheist.

Analyze this argument.

Sherri

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
acakes
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Lack of God does not mean lack of morals.

So the argument is about passing judgement.  If you believe in God and believe athiest are immoral because they do not believe in God, then that person is also immoral for passing judgement on the athiest.  Because to be moral one should know right from wrong and their conduct should reflect that.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Good point.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Pedophile Priests believe in God, therefore pedophilia is a moral act.

mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM
4 moms liked this

This statement is quite false. But sadly, I have met several people who believe this. I personally, question the morals of those who only do the right thing out of fear of repercussion from a supreme being. And no, I don't think that is true of all believers- not by a long shot. But I do remember my husband telling me of a discussion he had with someone when the guy found out he was an atheist. The guy really didn't get why my husband doesn't rob banks or kill people if he doesn't believe there is a god to answer to. People who think like that scare me.

In many ways it seems to me to chose to do the right thing with no hope of divine reward or to not do bad things despite no fear of divine punishment shows a rather high level of personal morals.

sstripedmonkey
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
exactly, if priests " do gods work" does that mean god is a pedo?

Quoting SuperChicken:

Pedophile Priests believe in God, therefore pedophilia is a moral act.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babie113
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Its really backwards to think any group of people must not have morals because of lack of religious beliefes ...i know alot of christians that do things that are not socially acceptable or moralistic...my morals might be diffrent to a christians but the core ones are the same I dont need a religion to know its not a good idea to kill.steal.cheat.lie ect
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SDarvasi
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe in God, yet, I have morals. I know what is right and wrong. I know that when I'm mad at someone, that I shouldn't physically hurt them. It's COMMON SENSE> No religion or GOD gives me that. I was taught how to be respectful of others and react to situations with an open mind and think before I react.

babie113
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM
I love you xxxx this is what im trying to say....

Quoting mandaday:

This statement is quite false. But sadly, I have met several people who believe this. I personally, question the morals of those who only do the right thing out of fear of repercussion from a supreme being. And no, I don't think that is true of all believers- not by a long shot. But I do remember my husband telling me of a discussion he had with someone when the guy found out he was an atheist. The guy really didn't get why my husband doesn't rob banks or kill people if he doesn't believe there is a god to answer to. People who think like that scare me.

In many ways it seems to me to chose to do the right thing with no hope of divine reward or to not do bad things despite no fear of divine punishment shows a rather high level of personal morals.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SDarvasi
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM

ALSO...isn't one of the most important morals to Love Thy neighbour (in religion)...yet, somehow, anyonme who is homosexual, or not religious, or doesn't fall under the qulaifications of what "God" expects, get ostricized and ridiculed and told how horrible they are for being what they are???

How are morals associated with Religion and the Bible if  there are a lot of very negative things associated with them too???

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM
I disagree that to be moral requires a belief in a deity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Morality is intentional.

Also, morality has different perceptions and interpretations. I share moral points of view with many people, but not with every person who believes they are moral.

God is irrelevant to morality, so atheism is too.

According to Kant, then, the ultimate principle of morality must be a moral law conceived so abstractly that it is capable of guiding us to the right action in application to every possible set of circumstances. So the only relevant feature of the moral law is its generality, the fact that it has the formal property of universalizability, by virtue of which it can be applied at all times to every moral agent. From this chain of reasoning about our ordinary moral concepts, Kant derived as a preliminary statement of moral obligation the notion that right actions are those that practical reason would will as universal law.

http://www.philosophypages.com/hy/5i.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)