• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you wearing denim?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM
  • 32 Replies
2 moms liked this

Today is Denim Day and I am wearing denim (and so are my children, lol). Today is a day that needs to be made known to the masses.

Denim Day is probably a day most of you have not heard of. But it is a VERY important day, in my opinion at least. Today is a day we stand together against rape.

In the 1990s in Italy, an 18 year old woman was raped by a 45 year old man. He was tried, convicted, and sentenced to jail time. However, he appealed. The appeal judge overturned the sentence. The appeal judge stated that since the accuser was wearing tight jeans she would have had to help take them off. He claimed there was no way this man could've gotten the jeans off of her without help. Ergo, he claimed she consented and wasn't raped. This was in 1999. Since then Peace Over Violence has organized Denim Day in protest of this.

I too was raped while wearing jeans. I was actually wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and a sweatshirt since it was the middle of winter. Wearing jeans is still hard for me. It sometimes causes flashbacks. However, today is one day I am proud to wear jeans. Thinking that what a woman wears means automatic consent is absurd. These misconceptions need to be squashed. I am glad to be part of that squashing.

For more information about Denim Day please visit the website, http://www.denimdayinla.org/.

If you are a sexual assault survivor and would like to join a support group, there is one on Facebook calledSurvivors of Sexual Assault Support Group.

In addition, there is always the RAINN organization that can help you. They have a 1-800 hotline number (1.800.656.HOPE) as well as an online hotline

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Bama_
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM

bow down

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Thank you for sharing and posting.  I wear denim just about every day, but am glad I have it on today.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I am wearing denim today. 

OHgirlinCA
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Yes, I'm wearing denim.

Debmomto2girls
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

When I am not in scrubs, I am always wearing jeans.  i didn't know what day it was but I'm glad I'm wearing denim today:)

Tanya93
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM

No.   I almost never wear it.

mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been wearing a skirt, but I do believe this is a good enough reason for me to go put on a pair of jeans.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I will be.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Thanks for posting.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Yup, got my skinny jeans on right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)