Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"Discrimination of any kind is wrong"

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM
  • 41 Replies

Poll

Question: Discrimination of any sort is wrong

Options:

True

False

Other (there must be an other)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 67

View Results

"Discrimination of any kind is wrong"

True or False?

Discuss

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tanya93
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope

I'm good with discriminating against some people

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM
4 moms liked this

I guess it will depend on what is meant by discrimination? The word itself tends to be a value judgment.

I don't know what the ins and outs are regarding law and practice, but there are always going to be exceptions to rules. I would imagine that a quadriplegic is not going to be eligible for a job as an EMT. Technically that could be discrimination, but I can't imagine that there isn't wording in hiring policy somewhere that would protect employers in these kinds of cases.

Then we get into the issue of equality and equity. People claim that policies like Affirmative Action are discriminatory. And if they are? Perhaps it is for a better outcome and therefore acceptable in a certain sense.

Good question. And one that has a lot of parts and pieces to discuss.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I often discriminate against certain foods.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I think it all depends on how you are using the word discriminate.  Based in a general definition, it probably would happen even if we don't mean it to.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm a very discriminating chocolate eater.

Themis_Defleo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I discriminated against people who knocked on my door last night.  One I asked to come in, and the other I asked to leave.

(The former was DD's friend; the latter a guy who wanted to sell me new windows and wouldn't take a hint).

Lissa0985
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Wow, I'm actually agree with you here. Good point.

Quoting Momniscient:

I guess it will depend on what is meant by discrimination? The word itself tends to be a value judgment.

I don't know what the ins and outs are regarding law and practice, but there are always going to be exceptions to rules. I would imagine that a quadriplegic is not going to be eligible for a job as an EMT. Technically that could be discrimination, but I can't imagine that there isn't wording in hiring policy somewhere that would protect employers in these kinds of cases.

Then we get into the issue of equality and equity. People claim that policies like Affirmative Action are discriminatory. And if they are? Perhaps it is for a better outcome and therefore acceptable in a certain sense.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Making judgements are automatically discriminating: determining the differences between different things is discrimination. Judging one 'better' or 'more worthy' is a natural human process.

There is nothing different between refusing a capable employee a job because they're in a wheelchair and giving them the job because they're in a wheelchair.

Feel free to put any other distinction in the place of the word 'wheelchair' in the paragraph, above. A selection of possible words would include: gender, age, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, heritage, religion, eye colour, weight, height or shoe size.

Quoting Momniscient:

Themis_Defleo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

You were too quick (maybe I'll still lure some unsuspecting person into answering that discrimination is "always" wrong.

We discriminate every day, knowingly or not.

In the case of the quadriplegic, the employer DOES have legal protection in that the disabled applicant is not otherwise physically able to carry out the functions of the job. 

The government discriminates against felons by prohibiting them from possessing firearms; schools discriminate against athletes who don't pass enough credits by prohibiting their particpation in sports. 

Affirmative action practices ARE discriminatory because they treat different groups of people differently based upon their characteristics. That does not make the practice inherently wrong.

Discrimination is not always "bad."  I'm glad that pedophiles aren't allowed to work in my children's school.  I'm glad that I can decline further representation of a client who doesn't pay her bill. 

Quoting Momniscient:

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM

To be discriminating is wise.  However to discriminate for reasons that are based in attitudes, perceptions and emotions that are wrong is wrong. 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)