• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Settlement OK'd over Mojave cross on U.S. land

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:24 PM
  • 96 Replies

LOS ANGELES - A federal judge has approved a land-swap to settle a lawsuit over a remote site in the Mojave National Preserve where war memorial crosses have been erected for decades.

The settlement announced Tuesday calls for the site at Sunrise Rock to be turned over to a Veterans of Foreign Wars post in Barstow, California, in exchange for five acres of donated land. (See earlier story)

Kelly ShackelfordKelly Shackelford, president of Liberty Institute. "We've got now a step closer to I think what will be a great victory for our veterans," he tells Associated Press. "We now have a final order from the court, and it's just a matter now of getting the land transferred -- and as soon as that happens, the veterans are going to put that memorial back up as it has been since 1934."

The National Park Service said it hopes to complete the swap by year's end, allowing the VFW to once more erect a cross on the site. The most recent permanent cross was stolen and a replacement was removed to comply with a court injunction.

Shackelford explains that in the past, vandals have destroyed the cross. "So right now what you would have if you went out to look at the memorial is you would see a national veterans memorial sitting in a vandalized and torn-down state," he says.

The land swap was ordered by Congress in 2003 but legal action challenging the cross intervened for years.

The original wooden cross erected in 1934 was later replaced with one made of steel pipes. It was stolen in 2010.

source

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this

So the land is now private property instead of government property, that makes the cross legal. I see no problem with that. Seems to me they did the right thing.

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this
That is kind of what I thought unless I am missing something...

Quoting Arroree:

So the land is now private property instead of government property, that makes the cross legal. I see no problem with that. Seems to me they did the right thing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM
3 moms liked this

I wonder how much that cost them to do all that because someone was offended?

SuperChicken
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Private vs. public property.  Simple concept.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM
6 moms liked this

There, I fixed it for you.

Quoting candlegal:

I wonder how much that cost them to do all that because they were caught breaking the law?

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM

YAY!!! It is about time! I also understand that this place has other objects such as the Jewish star and other things that Veterans have placed there in memory of their loved ones. That is wonderful! :)

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Really? and who would have even cared...really who. Someone who just wanted to make a big stink. My understanding was that many loved ones brought other tokens to be placed there for a Veteran that they had lost. Is it really soooo sooo awful to have something like that, that helps people with their grief? I hope that each of you that is so offended by a cross when you lose someone that whatever makes you feel more comforted you are allowed that comfort. God Bless you anyway!

Quoting Arroree:

There, I fixed it for you.

Quoting candlegal:

I wonder how much that cost them to do all that because they were caught breaking the law?

yourspecialkid
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM

This would be the kind of thing I was talking about in the "What do Christians expect from athiests" question.  No respect.

It is quite apparent the reading comprehension levels of todays people is severely lacking.  The first amendment is very clear..

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

A cross as part of a memorial does not violate this amendment.

For those of you that will be eager to shout separation of church and state...oh PLEASE..do some real research..read congressional records, read the writings of the founding fathers.....their intent was quite clear.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:05 PM

It has been there since 1934, probably one person objected a few years ago and everything goes to crap because of it.

Quoting USBrit:

YAY!!! It is about time! I also understand that this place has other objects such as the Jewish star and other things that Veterans have placed there in memory of their loved ones. That is wonderful! :)

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, and that does not mean that you can't ever speak of your religion, just that a specific one will not be mandated in the United States. Thank your for your clarity in thought! :)

Quoting yourspecialkid:

This would be the kind of thing I was talking about in the "What do Christians expect from athiests" question.  No respect.

It is quite apparent the reading comprehension levels of todays people is severely lacking.  The first amendment is very clear..

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

A cross as part of a memorial does not violate this amendment.

For those of you that will be eager to shout separation of church and state...oh PLEASE..do some real research..read congressional records, read the writings of the founding fathers.....their intent was quite clear.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)