Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Work ethic, age and the job.

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have taught my girls to do their best at any job they hold.  There is a right way and a wrong way to carry yourself.  A time and a place for everything.

Work ethic is so important.  Even if you are at a minimal job. If for no other reason than self respect.

Over the past few weeks I have been bouncing around from various 'jobs' to get an idea of what changes may need to be made in the various areas.  This means I have worked in the Shoppette, which is similar to a 7-11.  I have worked in the main store, which is a smaller version of a department store. I have also worked in the food services area, which includes a sub shop, Starbucks and BK. I have worked at the AF Inn as well as the bowling alley, the movie theater.

I am appalled at what I have seen.  90% of those between the ages of 18 and 25 make me want to slap them.  It doesn't matter what position they have or what their job entails, their work ethic is non existent and their attitudes are atrocious.

Most every one knows me but no one knew why I was there.  They were themselves.  It was disheartening and honestly, really pissed me off.  

I have a report to write and boy oh boy, will it be a dozey.

What is wrong with our youth and their attitudes?  Their lack of responsibility, to themselves, to their job?  I don't care if you only work part time for a few  hours here and there or are a full time employee.  You do the damn job you agreed to do, you do it without an attitude and you certainly watch your mouth and keep yourself in check.  Otherwise, don't let the door hit you on the ass as some one else would gladly take your job.

There will be a good 75 people written up.  

Customer service is out the window because they all have the 'me, me, me' attitude.  Or they feel their job is beneath them.  Even those working in the offices.  Really?  Well then, there's the damn door.

Ugh!

Can you tell I am frustrated?  If my daughters acted in the way I have seen in these little punks, I would be so ashamed of them.  

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Wow.  It is frustrating.  I don't manage at night anymore but I heard my co manager fired a barback for sitting on the couch with his feet up and his hands behind his head.  This was at 2:15 am and there were like 2500 people leaving a concert where people were just raging.  I mean the place was torn apart!  Barbacks know that the hardest work comes after the people leave.

I just can't believe it.  And these barbacks make good money...he was looking at at least a couple hundred in tips.  At the minimum.

yourspecialkid
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

bowing down

I will never hire another college kid..and I would be hard pressed to hire someone under 30.

I went through the McDonald's drive through yesterday for a tea.  I am sitting at the window waiting and listening to 3 employees discuss which bar they are going to this weekend.  I am being completely ignored.  I finally said something like..if you can stop talking about getting drunk for just a second or 2 I would like my tea.  They looked at me like they didn't even know I had been sitting there...one of them was management.  Ridiculous. 

tmeg71
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I don't blame the kids.  I blame the managers and the parents.  These children don't enter the work force with any knowledge of customer service, professionalism, or dedication.  It is up to the adults in positions of power to teach these things, and to maintain the levels of service they expect in their business.  It is up to parents, when sending their teens into the workforce, to instill a good work ethic through their own examples and teachings at home. 

:P>-|o:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
The parents who set no limits, NEVER disappoint their kids, or let them fight their own battles. They do not realize they do their children a huge injustice.

I will not tolerate a rude, or lazy employee. I will not hire one who doesn't care enough about their appearance to make a good impression in the job I hire them to do.

It's a parent's right to raise their kids however - but it's an employer's right to choose who they want to represent their product, their company.

Quoting tmeg71:

I don't blame the kids.  I blame the managers and the parents.  These children don't enter the work force with any knowledge of customer service, professionalism, or dedication.  It is up to the adults in positions of power to teach these things, and to maintain the levels of service they expect in their business.  It is up to parents, when sending their teens into the workforce, to instill a good work ethic through their own examples and teachings at home. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tmeg71
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

The parents who set no limits, NEVER disappoint their kids, or let them fight their own battles. They do not realize they do their children a huge injustice.

I will not tolerate a rude, or lazy employee. I will not hire one who doesn't care enough about their appearance to make a good impression in the job I hire them to do.

It's a parent's right to raise their kids however - but it's an employer's right to choose who they want to represent their product, their company.

Quoting tmeg71:

I completely agree.  Our business has had both good and bad employees.  With a little effort on the part of management, it becomes pretty clear whether they are just inexperienced and need some supervision and guidance, or they need to be fired.  But when you're talking teenagers, it's usually a given that they will have zero concept of what a customer service position entails, and it is up to the business to guide them into the model they want for their establishment.

As far as home, when a child is allowed to make their own rules, not live up to home obligations, and do half assed work because it at least shows effort, you are creating an employee who will think they can treat their job the same way.

:P>-|o:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Quoting tmeg71:

You bring up some very good points.

Part of my report centers around management and how they do, or do not, handle situations.  In one of the facilities, the Asst Mgr was absolutely no better than her employees.  

If the mgmt is not going to say anything to any employee, regardless of age, that employee will continue to act in an inappropriate manner.

Overall, however, what I dealt with came directly from these employees, most even after having been trained.  Having attended ongoing courses and seminars to inact changes.  Some have even been 'warned' by mgmt and basically ignore it.

I do have to wonder what some parents are teaching, or not teaching, their children.  Just how are these kids getting the message that their behavior is acceptable.  Personal responsibility is lacking.  So is being thankful for having a job instead of complaining about not being out with friends, not being home with the family, etc.  Every employee needs their job but I have to say, you would never know it by their actions, words and attitudes.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

xo.MommyW.xo
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Agreed. I want to punch soneone in the face
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)