Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Proof that some people are crazy!!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM
  • 10 Replies
Posted on Wed, Apr. 25, 2012 03:02 PM

Doctor pleads no contest in accident where he drove with body on car

Prosecutors disputed Wednesday that a Wichita doctor who drove for three miles with a lawn worker’s body on top of his van suffered from a medical condition the morning of the June 10 accident last year, saying he had the presence of mind to make statements to police.

Mohammad Sarrafizadeh, 67, told police that he saw Ramon Martinez-Limon, the 31-year-old man who was trimming grass in an easement, 50 to 100 feet ahead of him on Greenwich Road near Douglas before he struck him three to five seconds later, chief deputy attorney Aaron Breitenbach said Wednesday afternoon. Sarrafizadeh also told police that he saw Martinez-Limon strike his windshield, Breitenbach said.

Martinez-Limon’s body flew onto the roof of Sarrafizadeh’s van, and the doctor drove home and into his garage. Witnesses tried to stop him, and some followed him to his home.

Sarrafizadeh’s lawyer, Dan Monnat, maintained during the case that the doctor, who surrendered his medical license, suffered a stroke that morning and said that respected physicians “have regarded the evidence and the testing as sufficient to conclude that he had a stroke at the time of the accident and his condition continues to deteriorate.”

But Breitenbach said there were no “scientific facts” to support that. Breitenbach said Sarrafizadeh did suffer what he called a “real” stroke in November, months after the accident.

“We obviously disagree,” Breitenbach said of the district attorney office’s opinion of Sarrafizadeh’s health that day.

Sarrafizadeh was driving his 22-year-old daughter, who is severely mentally disabled, to her special-needs school the morning of the accident, Monnat has said. Police said Martinez-Limon was working near the street when a minivan struck him at about 7:15 a.m. near a Hawker Beechcraft plant entrance. Police arrested Sarrafizadeh the next day.

Sarrafizadeh pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor count of vehicular homicide on Friday. A judge sentenced him immediately to a 12-month suspended jail sentence and a year of non-reporting probation. He also had faced a felony – failure to stop at an accident resulting in death – but prosecutors dropped that charge. Monnat thanked the district attorney’s office for “permitting this simplified final resolution.”

Asked what he meant by that comment, Monnat said his client’s “condition is such that he’s not up to additional litigation. We needed to resolve it for that reason, and the DA worked out a plea agreement with us and permitted him not to contest the misdemeanor case against him.”

Monnat said the doctor plans to move to New York to be with family.

Breitenbach and chief district attorney Tom Weilert spoke to the media Wednesday in response to comments Monnat made about the case.

Sarrafizadeh “has allowed the court to find that he was responsible” for Martinez-Limon’s death, but the accident, Breitenbach noted, was an “unintentional action on his part.”

Asked if Sarrafizadeh’s sentence was fitting for a case that involved a man’s death, Breitenbach said the district attorney’s office does “look at the circumstances of the defendant.”

Sarrfizadeh did call police that morning, but it was after several people already had and after people had followed him home, Breitenbach.

“It was untimely, obviously,” Breitenbach said of the doctor’s call.

Sarrafizadeh had the wherewithal to drive home, drive into his garage and go inside his home that morning, Breitenbach said, saying those actions were “inconsistent with” someone who had blacked out.

“All that shows a mental process inconsistent with a stroke or stroke-like event,” Breitenbach said.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/25/3575409/doctor-pleads-no-contest-in-accident.html#storylink=cpy

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:16 PM

WOW

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Yikes

andiemomo3
by Andie on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Uh. Strange. Some people just can't be explained.
babydoll845
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:25 PM
What he murdered someone and all he recieved was a misdermeaner WTF thats justice for you WTH! He must have had money that poor guys family thats so sad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KedrynsMommie
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:33 PM
This was a few months back.. however last Thursday night/Friday morning my sons pediatrician Dr. Howard Whiteside was out on his usual late night jog when he was hit by a car and ended up in a ditch.

He laid there for 3 hours before they found his body. The driver never stopped.

Let me explain... Dr would answer his phone at all hours, he would make house calls, he would visit you in the hospital even just popping in to say hi, he would open his office anytime to see a patient..even, like in our case, the er had no answers.

He chose to work with special needs kids. He cared for dh when he was a 3lb nicu baby going through crack withdrawals thanks to his egg doner. He cared for Kedryn, and even respected my meager medical opinion. When i brought up ds lack of weight gain and suggested a sweat test (cystic fibrosis) he ordered it immediately.

He was just amazing.. i cant help wonder, if that driver had stopped.. if dr would still be alive :(

Btw im going to his funeral in the morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KedrynsMommie
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Btw Veni.. where do you live?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM

WTF, and then a pat on the hand,WOW!

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:37 PM

if he truely had a stroke earlier that morning, even a mild one and it effected the lobe that takes care of judgement and decision making... it's considered he wasn't mentally stable. 

Quoting babydoll845:

What he murdered someone and all he recieved was a misdermeaner WTF thats justice for you WTH! He must have had money that poor guys family thats so sad

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KedrynsMommie:

This was a few months back.. however last Thursday night/Friday morning my sons pediatrician Dr. Howard Whiteside was out on his usual late night jog when he was hit by a car and ended up in a ditch.

Let me explain... Dr would answer his phone at all hours, he would make house calls, he would visit you in the hospital even just popping in to say hi, he would open his office anytime to see a patient..even, like in our case, the er had no answers.

He chose to work with special needs kids. He cared for dh when he was a 3lb nicu baby going through crack withdrawals thanks to his egg doner. He cared for Kedryn, and even respected my meager medical opinion. When i brought up ds lack of weight gain and suggested a sweat test (cystic fibrosis) he ordered it immediately.

He was just amazing.. i cant help wonder, if that driver had stopped.. if dr would still be alive :(

crying

Awful, damn.

What did B. Joel say? "Only the good die young."

Condolences, to you and your community.

KedrynsMommie
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Thats true, Dt. Whiteside was 65yrs old.. but didn't look a day over 45 and had the heart and energy of a 20yr old! :)

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting KedrynsMommie:

crying

Awful, damn.

What did B. Joel say? "Only the good die young."

Condolences, to you and your community.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)