Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you want to participate in this?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:04 PM
  • 27 Replies

Parent Grading Bill Passes Senate 27-0

AP

Updated 2:34PM
Print | Front Page | Email this story

NASHVILLE (AP) – A proposal that would allow parents to grade themselves on how involved they are in a student's school performance has passed the Senate.

The legislation sponsored by Republican Sen. Brian Kelsey of Germantown was approved 27-0 on Wednesday. The companion bill passed the House 94-2 earlier this week.

Kelsey says the measure will allow parents to do a self-evaluation of how involved they are in helping their child or children with things like homework, or how often they attend parent/teacher meetings.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, Utah passed legislation this year that creates an online survey where parents can evaluate their own involvement, but the school does not assign them a grade and it's voluntary.

Another proposal that has been signed by the governor would encourage the state Department of Education to develop a parental involvement contract.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
andiemomo3
by Andie on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:09 PM
3 moms liked this
I think I'm missing the point of the bill. Why are parents gradings themselves and what difference will it make on their children's performance at school? I think I could see the point if teachers were grading parents performance. Though that would never pass.
Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting andiemomo3:

I think I'm missing the point of the bill. Why are parents gradings themselves and what difference will it make on their children's performance at school? I think I could see the point if teachers were grading parents performance. Though that would never pass.

I am glad I am not the only person that did not see the point of the bill.

And why are we wasting time on passing bills about rating or grading parents.  How about we actually work on improving the education.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this

If I get to grade myself, then sure I'll participate.

sidesplittinglaughter

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Exactly!!!!!

Quoting Godgaveme4:

And why are we wasting time on passing bills about rating or grading parents.  How about we actually work on improving the education.

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Why do we vote for these people?  What do we need them for?   I call DO OVER!

Momniscient
by Obama licker on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:22 AM
I totally Agree.
This bill gets a big HUH?

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Exactly!!!!!

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
im23vaughn
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Once again Republicans wasting their local constitutents time with b.s bills. Nothing new here. I will add to the list!

This is crazy! If I have to grade myself I am giving myself an A++ everytime! lol

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Sounds like a joke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM

I was completely baffled by this. Any moms from TN? I would love to hear your input.

momtoscott
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Waste of time, waste of money.  Isn't this the same state that just declared hand holding a gateway to sex?  Their economy must really be booming, if they have time to spend on folderol like this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)