Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Student Gets Banned From Prom Over Confederate Dress

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM
  • 162 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you wear this dress?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 104

View Results

Student Gets Banned From Prom Over Confederate Dress

Posted: April 26, 2012

A dress with the design of the Confederate Flag wound up getting a student bounced from her prom in Tennessee this Saturday.

Texanna Edwards, an 18 year old Gibson County High School senior, was dressed in a knee length red dress decorated with bright blue stripes and white stars resembling the Confederate battle flag. School officials would not allow the student to attend the prom telling her the dress was "offensive and inappropriate," reports the Jackson Sun.

Texanna stated in an interview Monday:

"We asked why they thought that, but they kept saying the same thing over and over. We kept asking people walking inside - black and white - and everyone said they loved it. Two black women even went off on the principal. They were upset with the principal. No one was upset with me."

Eddie Pruett, director of schools for the Gibson County Special School District, told the Sun:

"She was told because of the dress and what it would look like, it would be considered inappropriate. She had talked with the prom sponsor and they told her it would be inappropriate. ... I feel like Hughes followed legal precedents set by other court cases. Students have legal rights, and we don't infringe upon those. But we have to follow legal precedents, and if there is a reason to believe something could happen, we don't wait until after the fact to do something."

According to Pruett, there have been race-related issues at Gibson County High in recent years and that Principal James Hughes was concerned the dress could have caused possible conflicts.

Pruett continued to add:

"I hate that the girl was not able to attend prom, and this is an unfortunate incident. But as a school district, we have to look out for the best interest for all students. You have to try to do what's best for every child. Because of past incidents, Mr. Hughes felt that by admitting that dress it could cause a problem that night, or it could continue on throughout the school year."

http://www.inquisitr.com/225712/student-gets-banned-from-prom-over-confederate-dress/  

*sorry the pictures didn't copy over - they are available at the link provided.

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM
4 moms liked this

I think it was sad that this young girl chose the consequences for wearing this ugly dress and had to miss her prom because of her lousy choice!

I'm glad that a reasonable school official told her what the consequences would be if she chose to wear this dress-and I'm even happier that they actually stuck to their rules.

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't wear it. But I suspect the confederate flag means something different to her than it does to me.

I am not sure how I feel about her being barred from the prom.. if she was 1/2 naked I might support her being banned, but she seems appropriately covered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM
12 moms liked this

"She was told because of the dress and what it would look like, it would be considered inappropriate. She had talked with the prom sponsor and they told her it would be inappropriate. ...

It seems the girl had been told ahead of time by everyone that the dress would not be allowed and she insisted on wearing it anyway only to be turned away, as she'd been informed she would. Seems to me she was trying to cause a controversy to have something to cry victim about.

punky3175
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM
8 moms liked this

Maybe she's related to the lady with the Tinkerbell tattoo....

Quoting Arroree:

"She was told because of the dress and what it would look like, it would be considered inappropriate. She had talked with the prom sponsor and they told her it would be inappropriate. ...

It seems the girl had been told ahead of time by everyone that the dress would not be allowed and she insisted on wearing it anyway only to be turned away, as she'd been informed she would. Seems to me she was trying to cause a controversy to have something to cry victim about.

majiktattoo1408
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM

This happened right up here in my neck of the woods... gotta love West TN!

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this

LOL

It just tells me she's just another entitled spoiled little princess used to getting her way. I mean seriously, she was told in advance that the dress was unacceptable and would be barred from the dance, yet she wore it anyway fully expecting them to what, change their minds, let her in anyway?? And now she wants to cry victim and act like they were just so terrible to her for enforcing a decision they had already informed her of? I would be deeply ashamed of my child for pulling something so bratty.

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting Arroree:

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't wear it because it's simply ugly. You were something that can be construed as contriversial, be prepared for consequences. Why couldn't she go home and change, if the dress wasn't acceptable. She could have continued with the prom after that and dealt with the issue later. 

punky3175
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I wouldn't give my child the CHANCE to pull it. But I'm a mean ole mommy like that. :D 

Quoting Arroree:

LOL

It just tells me she's just another entitled spoiled little princess used to getting her way. I mean seriously, she was told in advance that the dress was unacceptable and would be barred from the dance, yet she wore it anyway fully expecting them to what, change their minds, let her in anyway?? And now she wants to cry victim and act like they were just so terrible to her for enforcing a decision they had already informed her of? I would be deeply ashamed of my child for pulling something so bratty.

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting Arroree:

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

If she was already told it would be inappropriate, then she was not using good judgement.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

No, I could never pull that off, I look wretched in red.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)