Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The FBI will take your computer offline July 9th...

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM
  • 108 Replies
1 mom liked this

if you have this virus.

FBI Warning Public of Massive Computer Virus
Courtesy WCAV
Internet users could soon be offline thanks to a group of hackers who created a virus that is laying dormant in an estimated 85,000 computers. And on July 9, infected computers will lose access to the internet.

It's estimated that 85,000 computers in the United States have the DNS Changer Malware virus, and many of them might not even know they have it.

Last year, the FBI shut down a hacker ring in the European country of Estonia that is reportedly behind the virus. Though they have been arrested, the virus remains.

Here's how it works. When you type a website into your internet browser, the virus redirects you to a fake version of that webpage, slows down your internet speed and disables your anti-virus software. The hackers then earned money from the ads on those fake websites.

But that's not the worst part. Come July 9, infected computers will lose access to the internet.

The computer-savvy folks at Compu Tune Up on Allied Street in Charlottesville call this type of virus a "game." And once you have the DNS Changer Malware, they say it's hard to win. However, there are some preventative steps.

"The earlier you can catch it, obviously the better you're going to be. If you let it build over time and keep saying 'close' or 'cancel', or whatnot, that's when you get into trouble," said Compu Tune Up president Johnny Forbes.

Thankfully, there's an easy way to check your computer for the DNS Changer Malware. It's a website partnering with the FBI called DCWG.org.

1) Click on "Detect" in the top navigation and then follow the link provided.

2) If the "DNS Changer Check-up" image is green, you're computer is safe.

3) If a red screen appears, you'll have to follow the steps on the website to get help.

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/149045365.html?ref=365

There is some worry this might not fully work according to something said on the news earlier tonight and no this is not some hoax. 

(Appologies if this has been posted)

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Thanks for posting.

Madammeke
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:50 AM
2 moms liked this

You may want to check the FBI website before clicking that link.

ambermarie2006
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Go through the FBI website. They send you to a reputable DNS detector.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NikkiDoll
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Hmm that's what I'm thinking.

Quoting Madammeke:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

That is fine always better to be safe than sorry but this is from a news agency not from some random internet announcement. That is who is the security partner that will disable the computers on July 9th. If you look on the FBI site you will see they are using the same people. 

UNITED STATES v. VLADIMIR TSASTSIN, ET AL.

The FBI is seeking information from individuals, corporate entities, and Internet Services Providers who believe that they have been victimized by malicious software (“malware”) related to the defendants. This malware modifies a computer’s Domain Name Service (DNS) settings and thereby directs the computers to receive potentially improper results from rogue DNS servers hosted by the defendants.

If you believe you have been victimized in this case, please type your DNS information into the search box below.

Information on how to determine your DNS settings, along with other technical details about DNSChanger, can be found atwww.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/november/malware_110911/dns-changer-malware.pdf.

You can also test to see if you are affected by visiting the following DNSChanger Check-Up sites below. If this Check-Up site indicates that you are affected by DNSChanger, then visit http://www.dcwg.org/cleanup.html for information on how to address this problem.

Quoting Madammeke:

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
crystal.davis78
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I'll have to check out my computer when I get home!  Thanks for the article.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM

GREEN!

Thanks!

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I plan on checking with the FBI first.  There are so many people out there fishing for information these days.  I deleat any emails I recieve if I don't recognize the email address.  I have heard that there are crooks out there posing as free coupon sites, and retail stores.  You have to be careful.

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my! Guess I will be blamed if her computer and all her friends are infected again. BHAHAHAHAHAHA!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I fail how to see how the FBI is doing anything to our computer.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds like hackers are taking our computers offline, not the FBI.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)