Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Let's talk about them!

I have an accent and is pretty peculiar.  It kinda sounds like the way the character of Julianne Moore in the movie "The Big Lebowski" talks.    

ETA: I had noticed many of you guys have southern accents.  I wish I had gotten that accent, especially since I had lived so long in the south.  Instead, I still sound like the character I mentioned above.

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Replies (121-130):
new_mom808
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I dont have an accent, but every once in a while some vowel sound comes out strange. I blame it on going to school with so many northerners. They shorten the strangest vowels.

EmmasMom0305
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I don't think I have an accent, but I do use words like warsh rag, yonder and holler all the time.

kirstina
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM

no accent most the time. If I am around people with an accent I pick up on it really fast without noticing.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I don't have an accent, but my hubby does make fun of me for speaking "Gapanese."  I grew up in Saskatchewan, Canada which people from where I live now call "the gap", as in the gap between two real provinces.  And of course we have regional terms for things, like hoodie is a bunny hug and one that zips up is a zippie, chocolate milk is vico.  So when my sisters and I get together and start using those terms he likes to tease us.

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM

My civilian counterpart at work has a thick Louisiana accent, reminds me of that tv show Swamp People.

jaspersmommy2
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting jaspersmommy2:

ak has a more drawn out southern accent..like that country singer justin moore he is from there and his is awful lol.

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting jaspersmommy2:

I have a southern accent.. i am from the mississippi delta.. and the way the tv makes us sound is stupid cause we all don't sound like a bunch of hicks...

LMAO I'm in AK but my neighbor is so "Southern" that he not only has that backwoods illiterate accent he even refers to his relatives as his "kin folk". It's hilarious to listen to him talk.

My grandmother spent almost 40 years trying to get rid of her southern Arkansas accent, she didn't completely succeed and she managed to pass some of it to us grandkids of all things, LOL.

Justin Moore is from Arkansas (AR), not Alaska (AK). :) 

well do i look like a damn dummy lol!! guess it shows im a southerner..sorry!!!! when i wrote this i was half asleep lol..

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Quoting jaspersmommy2:

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting jaspersmommy2:

ak has a more drawn out southern accent..like that country singer justin moore he is from there and his is awful lol.

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting jaspersmommy2:

I have a southern accent.. i am from the mississippi delta.. and the way the tv makes us sound is stupid cause we all don't sound like a bunch of hicks...

LMAO I'm in AK but my neighbor is so "Southern" that he not only has that backwoods illiterate accent he even refers to his relatives as his "kin folk". It's hilarious to listen to him talk.

My grandmother spent almost 40 years trying to get rid of her southern Arkansas accent, she didn't completely succeed and she managed to pass some of it to us grandkids of all things, LOL.

Justin Moore is from Arkansas (AR), not Alaska (AK). :) 

well do i look like a damn dummy lol!! guess it shows im a southerner..sorry!!!! when i wrote this i was half asleep lol..

It's ok. She did mention AR in there, so I can see how it can get confusing... 

plus to be honest, I get most of the M states abbreviations mixed up! lol 

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:10 AM
I have no accen, or at least think i dont, having always lived in california with english as my first language. However, my parents have accents, both from germany. They migrated to canada. Everyone thinks my mom is irish, and my dad sounds russian...
redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:12 AM

i have no idea if i have an accent or not HAHA i know my r's sound like an irish accent and my s's are weird but idk what accent i have >.<

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:20 AM

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent."  You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas.  You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Result Breakdown:

95% The Midland

84% The West

54% The South

50% Boston

46% North Central

33% The Inland North

27% Philadelphia

21% The Northeast

I'm from Southwestern Ohio, so I'd assume it's pretty accurate. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)