Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Let's talk about them!

I have an accent and is pretty peculiar.  It kinda sounds like the way the character of Julianne Moore in the movie "The Big Lebowski" talks.    

ETA: I had noticed many of you guys have southern accents.  I wish I had gotten that accent, especially since I had lived so long in the south.  Instead, I still sound like the character I mentioned above.

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Replies (141-150):
anon1986East
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I was born and raised in Connecticut so I don't have a distinct accent, however both of my parents were born and raised in Ireland so certain words or phrases I use have a slight Irish accent to them. It becomes more pronounced after spending time in Ireland with family.

Sassy01
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I have a Drawl, I was born and raised in Texas, but also spent alot of time in the Arkanasas Ozarks.

It's faded now though cause I've been up here in Oregon for 21 years.

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM
A lady recently told me that I sounded like I was from _______. Can't recall where now but it wasn't Iowa, where I've lived for almost 20 years now.

We grew up all over the place, though, so I'm not sure what kind of accent I have.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:31 PM

We always say that when we watch movies and they're suppost to be from Boston. Horrible.

Quoting emelymac:
I have a Boston accent. It's pretty thick. Obviously everyone in town talks the same way so I don't notice it until I leave the area. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people imitate the accent. It never comes out right and they end up sounding really stupid.

tambrathegreat
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I have a slight Okie drawl, nothing too bad, and I can correct it if I hear it.  My poor hubby is from Malaysia, went to a boarding school run by Irish priests, went to university in Louisiana and ended up here.  He's all kinds of mixed up.  My favorite thing he says, with his weird accent is, "I'm fixin' to go to the store, do you need anything?" 

It cracks me up everytime he says it.

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I was born in California, and we moved to Alabama when I was almost seven. I developed a pretty strong southern accent.  About a month before my 17th birthday, we moved back to CA.  That was nearly 10 years ago, and I still have a bit of a southern tinge to my voice.  It's not as strong as it used to be, but it shows up every once in a while.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I actually have a hard time even noticing that people have 'accents' -- I am so used to hearing people from Newfoundland, Georgia, Liverpool, Edinborough and South Africa, that I have to pay attention to hear that someone even 'sounds different'....

I can usually figure out where an accent is from, if I think about it. It's thinking about it that's hard, these days.

ameliacaldeira
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM

My husband and his friends have accents. I like it alot. 

IrishMouse
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM
I have an Australian accent, although I can't hear it.
When i am speaking to family my northern Irish accent comes out.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

LOL, that quiz was pretty good!  I was wondering how a quiz could detect an accent.

What American accent do you have?

Your Result: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

Lol, I am from MN, and people have mistaken me for Canadian.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN