Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

government cheese

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM
  • 139 Replies
2 moms liked this

Does PA still include commodities?

My mom received cheese, butter, eggs, flour, sugar, powdered milk, beans and rice. We made the most of it. In fact, I have a decent sized recipe book that has mostly those items listed as ingredients.

This morning I made one of my favorite comfort foods. I boiled rice and put butter, sugar and milk on it and ate it hot. I can see how some would say that's gross, but I love it. I also love beans and salmon patties made with canned salmon.

Have you ever had a 'poor man's meal'?

What are some of your favorite comfort foods?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM
3 moms liked this

As a kid, my favorite was the "beef flavored rice and vermicelli mix"    ... generic rice a roni. lol

And mustard sandwiches. (just mustard on bread)

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

One_Of_A_Kind
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I have never been poor. I hope and pray I never become poor.

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this

We grew up on big ole hunks of government cheese lol.

nonnahsregah40
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

cream of mushroom soup- elbow noodle- ground beef( the kids love it-simple to make and cheap)

gotnothinonme
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Bread and gravy-cheese sandwiches- pancakes, good lord you can make a million pancakes when you're poor- my grandma knew a million things to put in a pancake, lol

Tanya93
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Salmon or mackerel patties, mac and cheese, and beans were the Friday night meal growing up
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Pastas with butter and garlic salt, tuna melts and I have done the same rice dish you mention and loved it. Top Ramen is one of my favorites.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Themis_Defleo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think food allotments are part of PA in Ohio (except for the food stamps).

Growing up, we had a garden and mom baked a lot of bread.  We might have qualified for PA (I'm not at all sure), but my parents were to proud to ever have accepted it.

Sometimes dinner was creamed tomatoes or creamed chipped beef on toast.  Sometimes, if we couldn't afford milk, it was sauted veggies on toast.

A can of Campbell's soup was four portions (mom diluted it with 2 cans of water or milk).  

Coffee soup (stale bread with coffee, milk and sugar) was horrible, but we ate it.

Onion sandwiches (margarine and sliced onion between slices of bread).

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Themis_Defleo:

I don't think food allotments are part of PA in Ohio (except for the food stamps).

Growing up, we had a garden and mom baked a lot of bread.  We might have qualified for PA (I'm not at all sure), but my parents were to proud to ever have accepted it.

Sometimes dinner was creamed tomatoes or creamed chipped beef on toast.  Sometimes, if we couldn't afford milk, it was sauted veggies on toast.

A can of Campbell's soup was four portions (mom diluted it with 2 cans of water or milk).  

Coffee soup (stale bread with coffee, milk and sugar) was horrible, but we ate it.

Onion sandwiches (margarine and sliced onion between slices of bread).

We had a vergetable garden. I also loved toasted bread with a slice of tomato and cheese with salt and pepper.

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM
2 moms liked this

My best friend and I  would eat hot rice like that when we were in high school.  It was our favorite after school snack. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)