Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O: Parents Taking Advantage of Their Kids; Why is it Okay?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM
  • 115 Replies
1 mom liked this

What happened to this nation's child labor laws?  They were created to protect children from parents who put their children to work in factories and other places where the kids were injured, maimed, and killed by getting caught in machinery or inhaling and being exposed to toxic chemicals.

There's a post where people are celebrating the Department of Labor's decision not to make laws against children under 16 being made to work on their parents' farms.  People are making jokes about their kids working in their gardens as if they don't understand just how dangerous farm work is.  Farm work involves dangerous chemicals, machines and big animals that can be dangerous when they are annoyed or perceive a threat.

Also, there was a story in the news quite a while back about some parents who had a child who was dying so they gave birth to a second child specifically so they could harvest one of the child's kidneys or bone marrow.  I don't believe the public cared for the parents having a child for that purpose. 

Why isn't it opportunistic to do this to one's children? 

Comparing farm work to housework and weeding and harvesting your garden is absurd, so don't even.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting question.

ms.sophsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree.. milking cows? Fine. Collecting eggs on the morning? Great. Running a tractor or other heavy machinery? Not so much... I've talked to so many people who grew up running machinery at 10 yo or younger. My own ex said he was running a log splitter as a young kid- his 60yo father recently got his hand caught in it and has to do get multiple surgeries and go to therapy to regain use of his hand. People don't realize how dangerous it is! Just cause its not you/your kids THIS time doesn't mean its any safer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms.sophsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
And why putting kids at such risk is seen as ok, I'll never know.

Quoting ms.sophsmom:

I agree.. milking cows? Fine. Collecting eggs on the morning? Great. Running a tractor or other heavy machinery? Not so much... I've talked to so many people who grew up running machinery at 10 yo or younger. My own ex said he was running a log splitter as a young kid- his 60yo father recently got his hand caught in it and has to do get multiple surgeries and go to therapy to regain use of his hand. People don't realize how dangerous it is! Just cause its not you/your kids THIS time doesn't mean its any safer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM
5 moms liked this
I understand exactly what farm work is like, I grew up in a farming family. Context is important when discussing these issues. Nobody is pulling their children out of school to work all day in the fields. I feel like you don't quite understand exactly what it's like doing this kind of work as a kid (please, correct me if i'm wrong). Because honestly, it's not bad. Stacking hay is not that difficult. Feeding animals is not that difficult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sidneyb
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Have you ever done it? I worked on my family farm growing up. You might be over thinking this. Have there been instances of things happening? Yes. But, life is dangerous and the number of farm accidents is not as high as people may believe.

However, now that the garden is technically considered a small farm if you produce anything that is for consumption, the alternative could devaste urban homesteads and the like. 

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting krysstizzle:

I understand exactly what farm work is like, I grew up in a farming family. Context is important when discussing these issues. Nobody is pulling their children out of school to work all day in the fields. I feel like you don't quite understand exactly what it's like doing this kind of work as a kid (please, correct me if i'm wrong). Because honestly, it's not bad. Stacking hay is not that difficult. Feeding animals is not that difficult.

See what MrsSophie'smom wrote:  stacking hay and feeding animals is one thing; working around threshers, wood chippers, harvesters, any machine hair or clothing can get caught in, pesticides and other chemicals, something else.

3gr8tKids
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I have nothing intelligent to contribute but here is a BUMP

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM

This exactly.  

You obviously know very little about farm work JJ. Now, I didn't grow up on a farm. But I have friends that did (and I sometimes went and help_ and my family owened a dairy farm at one time.  Not to mention, where I live, we're surrounded by farms.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
ElitestJen
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Because it's an important victory for parents rights. There are many kids that are capable of driving tractors, seeding, etc. No parent wants their kid hurt or killed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN