Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

CAFE MOM FESS UP!

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM
  • 249 Replies
1 mom liked this

How scared are you of BLACK people? Black males between the ages of 13 to 28, Black women on a bad day? How scared are you?? Is it stereotypes or MYTHS or genuine concerns?

In the wake of Trayvon Martin and racially infused posts I have to ask. Futureshock, a mom I've gained ultimate respect for, has done a post about other shootings involving police and the POLICE  are citing exaggerated fear of the black man as a reason for so many men's, in  2012, 2012 deaths of black males! I am speechless, and I have a sick feeling that some agree with these deaths!  I believe it's 26-27 and 16 since Trayvon. Before, I reported the death of an 18 year old in his bathroom by a police officer in NYC, it was a mistake!

So Ladies, fess up?

I may have to edit a couple more times, but in Austin Texas another unarmed man was shot to Death  Thursday so the true total is 30.

This young lady flies in the face of those who think that only BLACKS are making the Martin case personal! UPDATE!!!!!!!!

In my Opininon No Disrespect

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this

....am just wondering...are we SUPPOSED to be afraid of black people..cause there have been several questions like this lately.

iluv2meow
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I work with black kids at the club weekly. I also communicate regularly with their parents. I cant say I fear them at all. They are like any other parent I deal with. I work with parents/kids of all ethics as well. Latino, mexican, indian, native, black, white, whatever.... Hell I dont even see them that way. I see them all as people *Shrugs*

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Nah, I ain't afraid of nobody, nohow, nowhere.......(cowarly lions voice)

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:56 PM
4 moms liked this

I am not sure how to answer these questions.

The color some one's skin does not make me less or more afraid of them.  Their actions are what is important.  Not their skin color.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Not afraid of blacks, but I am wary of a certain part of town.  It's well known that people have been attacked simply for being white in that part of the community.  I'll never forget my sociology teacher (who was black by the way) saying that DHR stopped sending white case workers there because of so many attacks and menacings.  There is a lot of racial tension where I live, at least in certain parts of our county.  And at a football game a few years ago, one of the kids from their district school attacked another kid at mine because he was wearing a t-shirt with a confederate flag. And before anyone asks, the kid who stabbed him said he did it because the guy cut in line.  It was a real shame...their football team apologized to ours though.  They were ashamed of what had happened. 
         I love living in the south, but the racial tension of the past still remains strong in many places.  And is the fault of both the whites and blacks that encourage it.

momtimesx4
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, there is a black female E7 that I work with everyday.  She just came off of drill sgt duty and hearing her yell and scream across the way gives me shivers and flash backs. LOL

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Not as a rule.  I am always nervous around any man when I am alone at night walking (which I never do, actually, anymore, but I used to do several times a week before I got married.)

I have never been "scared" of a black woman as in the way of my safety.  

I am not even intimidated by obvious drug dealers who are black.  The area I work in used to have obvious drug deals going down, I could watch the whole thing take place as I smoked my cigarette in front of the building .  But they never paid any attention to me, so I never got nervous about it.  

The drug dealers I was scared of were the stupid  coke heads that used to try to deal out of the sburban bar I used to work at.  They were scary.  And white, by the way, although if they had been black and acted that way I would have been scared of them too.  Freaked out and twitchy!

Luckily the city dumped loads of cops on foot/bikes/horses now in that area, so the dealers cleared out.  

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not scared when I see a black person but I was  surprised when I saw a black woman with her child at the local park. In the two towns that make up my school district, there are a total of 8 black individuals according to the last census. Downside to country living. :(

pittawadda
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sooo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN