Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Low Class Spirit Airlines Refuses to Refund Ticket of Dying Vietnam Vet

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:20 AM
  • 28 Replies

How truly despicable.
WPEC-TV CBS12 News :: News - Top Stories - Spirit Airlines refuses to refund fare for dying veteran
Thursday, April 26 2012, 03:18 PM EDT
Spirit Airlines refuses to refund fare for dying veteran
TAMPA, Fla. -- A dying Vietnam veteran is fighting to get his money back from Spirit Airlines.

Jerry Meekins booked a flight on the airline -- then learned his cancer had spread and was terminal.

Meekins says his doctors don't want him to fly so he asked Spirit for a refund, but the airline said no.

"I offered them all of the confirmation from my oncologist, from hospice, even my pre-paid funeral package. They didn't want to look at any of it or hear about it. They just wanted to keep the money."

Spirit sent a statement to WFLA-TV saying "Our reservations are non-refundable, which means we don't do refunds and we are not going to issue Mr. Meekins a refund." Spirit Airlines refuses to refund fare for dying veteran
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlueRay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM

What assholes!

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM
What dickheads! Yes, corporate assholes, we know it is your policy to not issue refunds. But a policy is not law, and a higher up can override policy for extenuating circumstances, like a dying person being told not to fly by their doctors. Yes, as a private business, you have a right to be as much of a dickhead as you want. Just because you have a right to do something does not mean it is the right thing to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

It sucks that he is dying.  But companies should not be punished for following their stated guidelines.  Veteran or not.

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM
How are they being punished?

Quoting CLEKate:

It sucks that he is dying.  But companies should not be punished for following their stated guidelines.  Veteran or not.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM
A policy is a policy. Most big ones will give a refund or credit though.

It sucks but just because he is a cet does not mean he should get special privledges. ANYONE who is dying should be able to get that refund NOT just vets
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I sit with Spirit on this. It's unfortunate. Unless he had travle insurance via spirit or a thrid party he's out his money. Truly unfortunate.

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

It sucks but just because he is a cet does not mean he should get special privledges. ANYONE who is dying should be able to get that refund NOT just vets

Seriously?? I don't think he wants a refund because he is a VET. He is dying and isn't allowed to fly. I think this company is being outragously money-hungry.

xo.MommyW.xo
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM
ugh do you not read? I said ANYONE dying. Im tired of articles playing them out to be God like because they are vets. Do you think this would be news if he was regulat joe shmoe

Quoting desertlvn:

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

Seriously?? I don't think he wants a refund because he is a VET. He is dying and isn't allowed to fly. I think this company is being outragously money-hungry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:48 AM

My sister told me about this yesterday.

Yes, it is indeed sad and unfortunate.  However, I am with the airlines.  Doesn't mean I do not feel for the man or his circumstances.  

bozobean
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM
That sucks. That airline is greedy and selfish. My father died of cancer last year, and if it were his case, I would still be after the airline about it, and would've called 7 on your side. I will never fly sucky spirit airlines in my life, and I hope karma's a bitch and that company goes belly up bankrupt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)