Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

STEREOTYPES!

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:37 AM
  • 174 Replies

DO YOU BELIEVE IN STEREOTYPES?

WHICH ONES DO YOU THINK IS ACCURATE?

ALL STEREOTYPES!

edit: Please list any stereotypes your aware of,examples- White people can't dance, black men's privates,women drivers etc.

In my Opininon No Disrespect

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahLizyB
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Of course I believe in stereotypes. I see moms doing it on thise site quite a bit. I never think theyre 100% accurate
Motherbird4
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes ! Stereotypes excist because it is a observation made by a large number of people , if it wasn't true it would not be made . Not that all people fall in to there stereotype , but they are all there for a reason . Come to think about it awhile back some one made a post about American culture . If you ask me stereotypes are a lot of what American culture is . If you were an outsider observing the masses our stereotypes would be very clear , and a way of categorizing people . It's not even a bad thing . You would think if people were so bothered by them they would come together to change them , but in reality I think most people embrace them .
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes

Many

No

GLWerth
by Gina on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM
5 moms liked this

It's all perception.

A stereotype of Christians, for example, is that they are holy in church and lie and cheat outside of church. (Best place to find a hypocrite is in the first row of church on Sunday).  Yet, if you allude to this one, the Christians on this board will get all hot and bothered (as when the GCB show came out).

Yet, these same people will spout the stereotype that all black kids are thugs and criminals and get angry when anyone refutes that.

Tanya93
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM
2 moms liked this

And there goes a stereotype....

Quoting GLWerth:

It's all perception.

A stereotype of Christians, for example, is that they are holy in church and lie and cheat outside of church. (Best place to find a hypocrite is in the first row of church on Sunday).  Yet, if you allude to this one, the Christians on this board will get all hot and bothered (as when the GCB show came out).

Yet, these same people will spout the stereotype that all black kids are thugs and criminals and get angry when anyone refutes that.

GLWerth
by Gina on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM
4 moms liked this

Observation...limited to this site.

The two were given as examples of perception differences. Never did I say either was true or false.

Quoting Tanya93:

And there goes a stereotype....

Quoting GLWerth:

It's all perception.

singlemom1208
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM
This

Quoting Motherbird4:

Yes ! Stereotypes excist because it is a observation made by a large number of people , if it wasn't true it would not be made . Not that all people fall in to there stereotype , but they are all there for a reason . Come to think about it awhile back some one made a post about American culture . If you ask me stereotypes are a lot of what American culture is . If you were an outsider observing the masses our stereotypes would be very clear , and a way of categorizing people . It's not even a bad thing . You would think if people were so bothered by them they would come together to change them , but in reality I think most people embrace them .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM
4 moms liked this

Yes, they are very real.

I honestly believe the one about white people smelling like dogs when it rains. Not all do but a nice portion of them do.

Black women do tend to smell like hair care product.

White people dont put shoes on their babies. 

Indian food smells like cat piss and drain no. It also does give you the runs like a mother f*cker.

Ive never met a black person who didnt like kool-aid, but Ive never met anyone who didnt like it.

Hispanic people do tend to have a lot of children. 

Hispanic people do often dress their girls is fancy dresses and busted ass tennis shoes. 

Africans are typically dark as simba juice.

Chinies people do kinda all look alike.

Breast feed babies do tend to be a bit chunky.

Men do turn into 3 year olds when they are hurt. 

Funny Pictures - Cat Gifs

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Snap, crackle, pop......I fit into a couple of those categories.....I told my husband we needed to have 7 kids.  My parents (Mexican/Filipino) had 5.  Thank goodness I stopped at 2  And, my son who was breastfed was so "chunkilicious" until he was around 3 years old.

Maybe some are true.......

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Yes, they are very real.

I honestly believe the one about white people smelling like dogs when it rains. Not all do but a nice portion of them do.

Black women do tend to smell like hair care product.

White people dont put shoes on their babies. 

Indian food smells like cat piss and drain no. It also does give you the runs like a mother f*cker.

Ive never met a black person who didnt like kool-aid, but Ive never met anyone who didnt like it.

Hispanic people do tend to have a lot of children. 

Hispanic people do often dress their girls is fancy dresses and busted ass tennis shoes. 

Africans are typically dark as simba juice.

Chinies people do kinda all look alike.

Breast feed babies do tend to be a bit chunky.

Men do turn into 3 year olds when they are hurt. 

mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm generally not a fan of stereotypes. I've found in life that if you are looking for a reason to dislike someone, most people will give you one within five minutes of conversation. I'd much rather dislike people for individual reasons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN