Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So Saying the I word now makes you a Racist?

Posted by   + Show Post

BTW, the I word is illegal, not immigrant.  It looks like some are having a hard time figuring that out.

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Replies (201-210):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM

This totally makes me want to hear your POV.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Whhaaa we are here illegally and breaking the law and people who are here legally want to call us on it...it hurts our widdle feewings  whhaaaaaaaaa!!!!

toddler tantrum

cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Hate words are words that negatively describes a person, but it must refer to something the victim can not change.
The "N" word = black. You don't stop being black.
The "F" word = gay. You can't not be gay.
Illegal? Now that can be changed. So therefore not racist or any other hate word.
Maybe if she asked for Mexicans that are legal to be referred to as Latinos (a habit I am currently working on) I could back hher reasoning.
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Since when is doing something illegal not a criminal act, and how is that not a negative thing?  It is not some convoluted thing, it IS very simple.  Being here without going through the proper channels IS an illegal, criminal, act, like it or not, and glorifying it somehow does nothing to help the situation.

I haven't broken any laws that I am aware of, and I'm not sure how you could possibly be certain about ANYONE that you do not actually know. 

Quoting Momniscient:

My argument is that you are oversimplifying and demonizing people and trying to equate them to criminals in a negative sense.

You have done illegal things in your life. Of that I am certain. You, therefore are a criminal and I shall treat you as one.

Quoting kailu1835:

Your argument is that we're "demonizing" criminals.  They made a conscious choice to do something illegal, same as any other criminal in jail.  There is absolutely no need to feel sorry for people who are victims of their own choices.  I quit being friends with someone who went and purposefully got pregnant with a guy she new did not want to be in a relationship with her and then went on facebook complaining about him being a deadbeat dad, and how she had it so hard being a single mom (keep in mind that before she got pregnant with this particular person she was looking for a sperm donor, and she already had 3 kids (one of whom she gave up for adoption) and was living off the state).  People who knowingly do stupid (or criminal) things to themselves do not deserve my sympathy, regardless of their reasons for committing that act.

Quoting Momniscient:

Apparently you didn't read the entire argument.

Quoting kailu1835:

It's actually QUITE simple really.  If someone here is not legally in the country, they are "illegal" plain and simple.  Trying to change the wording does not change the facts.

Quoting Momniscient:

I think the actual argument is lost on you.
It is a serious issue, which is why I find it suspect when someone tries to oversimplify.

Quoting kellysp6637:

Demonize it?  What are you talking about?

So now identifying a fact is demonizing???? 

Please.....I'm not going to sugar coat the facts for anyone.  Fact is fact.  In the country undocumented????  Then you are here illegally...hence the term "illegal immigrant"

Just like being in the US legally is coined "US Citizen" Or an immigrant being here legally is coined "legal immigrant".

There's no malice behind it....just a bunch of people wanting to make the illegal actions of some seem less serious by not calling them illegal.  Sorry, it is a SERIOUS issue.

Quoting Momniscient:

And neither is it something you should demonize by attempting to simplify the issue to the lowest common denominator.

Quoting RnNHamilton:

So far I think I love you. :) LOL I completely agree with you. Being here illegally isn't something you need to sugar coat!!

Quoting kellysp6637:

So in a ridiculous attempt to sugar coat the facts.....shall we call it:

Document challenged????

Seriously....I find it offensive that people think they can cross the boarders....live in the country, with NO regard for US Law,  without paying taxes, benefit from the SAME system I bust butt working for and paying a ton in taxes.....

If they don't care about offending the US citizens.....I seriously could care less if they are offended by the TRUTH.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

This is like the R word. We now use the term Mentally Disabled.  I don't really mind using a different term if some find it offensive.

babiesbabybaby development

cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Momniscient:

Not to be mean, but. Do you just assume that everyone breaks laws at some time in their life? And therefore use "he without sin shall cast the first stone" and excuse all illegal or criminal activity?

I find it horrible to think everyone has broken some law. There may not be many of us, but i have never broken a single law. Not even a rolling stop at a stop sign. It takes work and effort and pride to hold yourself to the law, and for me, when people admit they don't have the balls to do so, I think far less of them.

So, why should people not trying to be lawful get any respect? Much less free passes? Making illegal, illegal, is the wrong thing to do. It isn't even an issue. Calling them Mexican once they are Americans is far more offensive.
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Sigh

OneToughMami
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM
2 moms liked this
I think the problem is that when most people talk about illegals they are only speaking of those from Latin countries. They do not take into account that there are many English speaking white immigrants here illegally. My father doesn't even know if he is legal because his mother can't find her documentation :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jshalas89
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Americans don't even make good election choices so what does it matter? It's not like of our politicians are any good anyway.

Quoting candlegal:

Those that want to turn this into a racist word are the same ones that want them to be able to vote in our elections. 

Quoting liz.a.powell:

I have to agree with this. I don't see how using a word that FACTUALLY describes an individual is racist.

Quoting RnNHamilton:

WOW!! That is just stupid. I can't believe what our country has turned into. It's just a word. If you aren't illegally here then why would it upset you? It is just a word that is stating facts if you are here illegally.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jshalas89
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Precisely! Thank you.

Quoting OneToughMami:

I think the problem is that when most people talk about illegals they are only speaking of those from Latin countries. They do not take into account that there are many English speaking white immigrants here illegally. My father doesn't even know if he is legal because his mother can't find her documentation :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Not a problem. I hate the us v. Them bullshit.

Quoting jshalas89:

Precisely! Thank you.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this

A friend of mine (blue-eyed, born in Ontario) has been living illegally in the US since... uh... '04? I'm just sure this refers to her...

Quoting OneToughMami:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN