Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So Saying the I word now makes you a Racist?

Posted by   + Show Post

BTW, the I word is illegal, not immigrant.  It looks like some are having a hard time figuring that out.

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
Happymamax2
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Kate_Momof3:

That's nice. Bill O'Reilly can outblather a young woman. He should feel so good about himself for that.

Oh, and labels are chosen for a reason. It's much easier to see someone as less than human when they are "illegal aliens" versus an "undocumented worker" and use them as whipping boys for our country's ails. 

I hope, candlegal, you enjoyed your fresh fruit and OJ this morning. They were probably provided to you by those evil illegals.

I agree with this. While I don't find the word racist, I do think it marginalizes people so that we are more able to dismiss them as less than.... They are not less important than us just because they are undocumented. They provide a service we need like it or not. Time and energy would be better spent figuring out reform that everyone can live with.
RnNHamilton
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Illegal

Quoting singlemom1208:

What the heck is the "I" word?

singlemom1208
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh Geeze!!! How is that racist?? I get so sick of pc crap

Quoting RnNHamilton:

Illegal

Quoting singlemom1208:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms.sophsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM
8 moms liked this
Now that I'm more awake and thinking on this I can see the racial issue behind illegal... when we hear "illegal immigrant" we always think MEXICAN. not French, not Canadian, not German. Its used as though only Mexican people are coming over illegally, that they are the only people who have come over illegally. (Which brings out the point in my previous reply) America as a whole hasn't been kind to people who are darker complected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Except Mexican isn't a race.

Quoting ms.sophsmom:

Now that I'm more awake and thinking on this I can see the racial issue behind illegal... when we hear "illegal immigrant" we always think MEXICAN. not French, not Canadian, not German. Its used as though only Mexican people are coming over illegally, that they are the only people who have come over illegally. (Which brings out the point in my previous reply) America as a whole hasn't been kind to people who are darker complected.

kellysp6637
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM

This woman is an idiot.....

ms.sophsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM
3 moms liked this
Technically neither is black, white etc. We all belong to one race, the human race. We label colors and ethnicities with the word race.

Quoting Tanya93:

Except Mexican isn't a race.

Quoting ms.sophsmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellysp6637
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM
6 moms liked this

I know right.

Illegal is simply that...AGAINST the law.

It's ILLEGAL to drink and drive.

It's ILLEGAL to have sex with minors.

It's ILLEGAL to steal someone's property

It's ILLEGAL to kill people

and IT'S ILLEGAL TO LIVE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY UNDOCUMENTED.

WTF is so hard to comprehend?

It's NOT a humane issue....it's a LEGAL issue. 

Quoting singlemom1208:

Oh Geeze!!! How is that racist?? I get so sick of pc crap

Quoting RnNHamilton:

Illegal

Quoting singlemom1208:

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't agree with open borders but I do agree that "illegal" is a dehumanizing word. 

kellysp6637
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this

Really????  I'll have to remember that when some drunk is ILLEGALLY driving on the roads and wipes out a family of 5.....that identifying the drunk as illegally drinking and drinking is "dehumanizing" him.

Sorry, but you can't sugar coat the facts.  If a person is here with no documents and doesn't attempt to go through the proper channels to become a citizen...then indeed, they are here illegally...thus making them an illegal immigrant.......it's not dehumanizing ....it's identifying a fact.

Sometimes, you just can't change a word just because it will give someone a feel good emotion...a fact is a fact. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

I don't agree with open borders but I do agree that "illegal" is a dehumanizing word. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)