Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So Saying the I word now makes you a Racist?

Posted by   + Show Post

BTW, the I word is illegal, not immigrant.  It looks like some are having a hard time figuring that out.

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Replies (61-70):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Quoting kellysp6637:

So in a ridiculous attempt to sugar coat the facts.....shall we call it:

Document challenged????

Seriously....I find it offensive that people think they can cross the boarders....live in the country, with NO regard for US Law,  without paying taxes, benefit from the SAME system I bust butt working for and paying a ton in taxes.....

If they don't care about offending the US citizens.....I seriously could care less if they are offended by the TRUTH.

You're blathering. IMO your remarks sound like someone shared their uneducated opinio with you and you decided to adhere to it because it sounded reasonable.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Momniscient:

In the scheme of national semantics it is important. Because an entire group of people are being demonized and it does bleed out onto those that are not 'illegal.'

This uproar has always been in the American consciousness. The names just change as the groups that are scary change.

I disagree that it doesn't help the cause. At points in American history it was perfectly okay to refer to certain groups in polite society in very derogatory terms. And it was called into question because it should never be acceptable to demonize groups of people.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I fail to see how the term 'illegal', when describing a person who is indeed just that, is racist.

I don't go around calling people that, it isn't something that really crosses my mind unless I am here talking about it. lol 

Where was all this uproar years ago?  Why now?  I don't care for Bill O and this isn't about anything he said, or didn't say, during that interview.  He isn't the one making a stand against something that does not help the cause.

Will it make a few people feel better about themselves if the word illegal isn't used?  Perhaps.  But it does not take away from the facts.

Being demonized?  Are you referring to some of the laws out there, as in AZ, that make some feel they have the ability, and power, to assume every one that is hispanic is illegal?  

The term 'undocumented' means that same thing in this situation as being here 'illegally'.  Trying to gloss over the facts does not negate them.

However, I do suppose some may indeed take the word illegal and use it along with their racist thinking and ways.  I can see that.

But that word is accurate.  It is the way it is used that they may not agree with.  As I just stated, I can see that. 

The term itself is by no means derogatory.  At least not in my opinion.

Should we make it illegal to use that word in regards to those who are indeed here, illegally?  Or do we just add it to a list that when used, the one using it becomes the focus rather than the immigration issues?

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM
No it is not. Answer it please. I'd like some clarification of who you think these people are. What "entire" group are you referring to?

Quoting Momniscient:

That's a silly question.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Who exactly is this "entire group of people"?

Quoting Momniscient:

In the scheme of national semantics it is important. Because an entire group of people are being demonized and it does bleed out onto those that are not 'illegal.'

This uproar has always been in the American consciousness. The names just change as the groups that are scary change.

I disagree that it doesn't help the cause. At points in American history it was perfectly okay to refer to certain groups in polite society in very derogatory terms. And it was called into question because it should never be acceptable to demonize groups of people.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I fail to see how the term 'illegal', when describing a person who is indeed just that, is racist.

I don't go around calling people that, it isn't something that really crosses my mind unless I am here talking about it. lol 

Where was all this uproar years ago?  Why now?  I don't care for Bill O and this isn't about anything he said, or didn't say, during that interview.  He isn't the one making a stand against something that does not help the cause.

Will it make a few people feel better about themselves if the word illegal isn't used?  Perhaps.  But it does not take away from the facts.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kellysp6637:

I agree with you.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I am not a fan of O'Reilly.  However, that young lady doesn't know what she wants, as he pointed out.  She has no plan other than to make the word 'illegal' racist.

It is not a racist word.  Not in the least.  It is indeed an accurate description.

Dare I say, I agree with him on this.

I am so happy it isn't just me who feels this way

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Quoting shannonnigans:

LOL, she quotes Bill O'Reilly as a source. I guess this is CafeGrandmom because I can't think of anyone under 60 who listens to Bill O'Reilly.

um, okay

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:31 AM

'Illegals.'

Who are they? What do they look like? How can we refer to them as illegal if we just don't know how to identify them. So... what becomes the identifier? Ask Arizona.

Thanks though. You very neatly nailed the issue right back down to where the problem is. 

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

No it is not. Answer it please. I'd like some clarification of who you think these people are. What "entire" group are you referring to?

Quoting Momniscient:

That's a silly question.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

AnC83
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I DESPISE Bill O'Reilly and anyone that associates themselves and participates fully with one of the two main political parties, Democrat or Republican but conservatives and liberals are just subgroups of those two main parties. So I am just making that known before I continue on.

At first...I was like, "What is the I-word they are talking about?" I was confused because I had no clue what word was being discussed until further along. When talking about illegals or immigrants..either or...they are two separate. If an immigrant comes in and is legal that is one thing. But the majority of immigrants are here illegally which is many of our concerns. Regardless...using either term is not racist because it does not pertain to a particular race. It pertains to any person not born of this country coming and living here so no it is not "Racist". Is it offensive? Well honestly..I find it VERY offensive that you as an illegal immigrant come to this country and demand rights and everything that a natural born citizen or legal immigrant receive. So this lady has really got to stop thinking about her own particular culture and think about the country as a hole and be educated on our Constitution. 

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Being demonized?  Are you referring to some of the laws out there, as in AZ, that make some feel they have the ability, and power, to assume every one that is hispanic is illegal?  

The term 'undocumented' means that same thing in this situation as being here 'illegally'.  Trying to gloss over the facts does not negate them.

However, I do suppose some may indeed take the word illegal and use it along with their racist thinking and ways.  I can see that.

But that word is accurate.  It is the way it is used that they may not agree with.  As I just stated, I can see that. 

The term itself is by no means derogatory.  At least not in my opinion.

Should we make it illegal to use that word in regards to those who are indeed here, illegally?  Or do we just add it to a list that when used, the one using it becomes the focus rather than the immigration issues?

There were a lot of people who argued that the term 'colored' was indeed accurate so it shouldn't be considered offensive.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Quoting Tanya93:

I get what you are saying.   But as someone who has dealt with illegal immigrants regularly, I get tired of somehow it is racist to point out they are, in fact, illegal immigrants.

I get that

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Quoting Momniscient:

'Illegals.'

Who are they? What do they look like? How can we refer to them as illegal if we just don't know how to identify them. So... what becomes the identifier? Ask Arizona.

Thanks though. You very neatly nailed the issue right back down to where the problem is. 

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting Momniscient:

That's a silly question.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

'Undocumented' 

Who are they? 

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured