Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This is happening at my college. Update-- Looks like they caught him.

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:52 PM
  • 9 Replies

Please pray everyone is safe!

There is an armed gunman on the campus of University of South Alabama.  Shots have been fired, but so far no apparent injuries.  I have a lot of friends there right now, and I'm very scared for them!

We only have status updates from news groups on facebook, no story yet, but here is what is posted so far. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Breaking News: Manhunt underway on USA campus for possible armed intruder. Students advised to take cover and stay indoors. 

Gunshots reported. No one allegedly injured. We're still here.
  • Cops have guns drawn at Stokes to a room.

It looks like they caught the gunman.  There is a news conference taht the local news stations will report on.  They aren't streaming it and I have no cable, but they'll be discussing what happened.  But from the photos it looks like the guy was arrested.
The lock down is still in effect...no all clear has been released, but I imagine it will come soon.
Photos

DH's old dorm building, waiting to catch the guy

News story...still waiting on conference.  Delta 3 is DH's old dorm, and I have two friends currently living in Delta 4!

(MOBILE, Ala.) - Officials are urging University of South Alabama students to seek shelter after an armed individual was spotted on campus.

Local 15 News has obtained a copy of the email sent to students which reads:

"There have been reports of someone on campus armed with a weapon last seen in the housing area. Please remain inside until further notice. All students take shelter and remain inside."

The Vanguard is reporting that an armed robber was at the Delta 4 dorms around 3 this afternoon. The dorms have been roped off with crime scene tape. A police officer was seen carrying an evidence bag filled with duct tape.

Someone was taken into custody, but it has not been said if that person is the gunman.

Local 15 News has a crew on the scene and will bring you the latest news at it develops.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:59 PM
How horrible!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:07 PM

:(

Even on a Sunday-

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:07 PM

They're saying now it was someone who committed an armed robbery on campus.

Not surprised, that is a common event at South these days.  And people wonder why I want a concealed permit for my night classes there. 

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM
=(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LittleBirdFly
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:10 PM

scary! sad that thoese thngs keep happening..

opal10161973
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:12 PM

No kidding!  We had some guy trolling our parking lots last year and trying to molest young women.  Thankfully, I'm not his 'type', but it still made me nervous.  They also found a car submerged in one of the lakes last winter, during our dry season, and they found a missing woman in there.  It is thought to be intentional on her part.  Sad. 

Quoting katzmeow726:

Not surprised, that is a common event at South these days.  And people wonder why I want a concealed permit for my night classes there. 

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

:(

Even on a Sunday-

Unfortunatly criminals do not care about the day or time or place.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Quoting katzmeow726:

Scary.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM

updated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN