Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Islamist government democratically elected...

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM
  • 22 Replies
3 moms liked this

Thought this might make an interesting post...

The largest party elected in October to represent the people in Tunisia's Constituent Assembly was the "Islamist" party en-Nadha, they took 89 seats of a total 217. The remaining 128 all are considered secular. Of the total 217 representatives elected in the first free and fair election in Tunisia, 49 of them are women.

Guess which party represents the most women...

42 of the 49 women elected were representatives of the "Islamist" party. Which means almost half of the "Islamist party" were women (42/89).

That means of the remaining 128 secular representatives only 7 are women.

What do you all think about that?

http://www.tunisia-live.net/2011/10/28/women-status-in-the-constituent-assembly/

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
H_Tunisia_Remix
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:32 AM

I thought a few more than 2 ladies might find these facts interesting...

So...

Bump.

muslimah
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Quoting H_Tunisia_Remix:

So...

Bump.

It is not something they care to acknowledge.

Click to join

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting H_Tunisia_Remix:

So...

Bump.

I don't know who "they" are.  I don't know enough about the situation in Tunisia to make much comment.  You have "Islamist" in quotations, which I'm unsure if that means they aren't really Islamist, or they are moderatly Islamist, or we're supposed to think they are something they aren't...?

I am always happy to find women in positions of power and I'm glad there are so many being elected there.  The numbers look like almost a quarter of the Assembly are women, I wish we could achieve numbers like that here in America.

muslimah
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting H_Tunisia_Remix:

So...

Bump.

I don't know who "they" are.  I don't know enough about the situation in Tunisia to make much comment.  You have "Islamist" in quotations, which I'm unsure if that means they aren't really Islamist, or they are moderatly Islamist, or we're supposed to think they are something they aren't...?

I am always happy to find women in positions of power and I'm glad there are so many being elected there.  The numbers look like almost a quarter of the Assembly are women, I wish we could achieve numbers like that here in America.

"they" are most of the women in this group.

Click to join

H_Tunisia_Remix
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting H_Tunisia_Remix:

So...

Bump.

I have "Islamist" in quotes because it is a word used here, in the USA, in the media and I think it is a bull shit word, but it is how these governments are referred to.

En-nadha is a "moderate" Muslim party but if you ask many secularists in Tunisia about it they will say they are fanatical. (notice the quotes again, because this is a descriptor not typically used by Muslims but non-Muslims, I would be considered "moderate" but I am a fully practicing Muslim woman for instance)

Yes, I agree, I would like to see that here in the USA, the point of the post was to get womens thoughts on this Muslim party elected democratically that had more women reps than not only their secular counterparts in that country, but a higher percentage of women representatives than in the government even here in the USA. 

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting H_Tunisia_Remix:

So...

Bump.

"they" are most of the women in this group.

I poke my nose in most everywhere lol.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting H_Tunisia_Remix:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting H_Tunisia_Remix:

So...

Bump.

I have "Islamist" in quotes because it is a word used here, in the USA, in the media and I think it is a bull shit word, but it is how these governments are referred to.

En-nadha is a "moderate" Muslim party but if you ask many secularists in Tunisia about it they will say they are fanatical. (notice the quotes again, because this is a descriptor not typically used by Muslims but non-Muslims, I would be considered "moderate" but I am a fully practicing Muslim woman for instance)

Yes, I agree, I would like to see that here in the USA, the point of the post was to get womens thoughts on this Muslim party elected democratically that had more women reps than not only their secular counterparts in that country, but a higher percentage of women representatives than in the government even here in the USA. 

I can't speak for anyone else; it is hard for me to wrap my mind around theocratically based political parties and be "reasonably" minded about them, because I am so opposed to any religion being the basis for government.  

I do understand that you are trying to point out that women are not as oppressed as we tend to think, that they are respected as leaders, and I think that's a great thing.  There is a cultural disconnect, I think, in terms of how Americans view Muslim women and their "freedom" because we see cover and we see the more cultural based news horror stories, and it is hard to see that as having freedom, but I do understand that there is that difference between culture and religion and that the cover is not seen by the women themselves as restrictive to their freedom, but for many is freeing.

I also think American news is so "America-centric" that we don't get enough information about what is going on in other countries.  I like to watch BBC news at times in order to get some more foreign news and other perspectives for that reason.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

BUMP!

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting H_Tunisia_Remix:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting H_Tunisia_Remix:

So...

Bump.

I can't speak for anyone else; it is hard for me to wrap my mind around theocratically based political parties and be "reasonably" minded about them, because I am so opposed to any religion being the basis for government.  

I do understand that you are trying to point out that women are not as oppressed as we tend to think, that they are respected as leaders, and I think that's a great thing.  There is a cultural disconnect, I think, in terms of how Americans view Muslim women and their "freedom" because we see cover and we see the more cultural based news horror stories, and it is hard to see that as having freedom, but I do understand that there is that difference between culture and religion and that the cover is not seen by the women themselves as restrictive to their freedom, but for many is freeing.

I also think American news is so "America-centric" that we don't get enough information about what is going on in other countries.  I like to watch BBC news at times in order to get some more foreign news and other perspectives for that reason.

Culturally it is hard for anyone to step outside of their worldview. I think it is a good thing in regards to American worldview that women are being elected in Tunisia.

I will say however, that if it were America I couldn't feel wonderful about women being elected if they were part of a fanatical base. Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann and Pamela Geller come to mind.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Thank you for sharing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN