Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

2 teen girls sunbathing on Pa. road struck by car

Posted by   + Show Post

2 teen girls sunbathing on Pa. road struck by car

Associated Press - 10 hrs ago 

BEAVER, Pa. (AP) - Police say two teenage girls who fell asleep while sunbathing on a rural Pennsylvania road have been struck by a car.

The Beaver County Police Department tells WTAE-TV (http://bit.ly/KoTXi9 ) that 13-year-olds Samantha Schermanhorn and Kaylie George were hit by the vehicle Sunday afternoon.

Two of Samantha's cousins tell the station that their 19-year-old brother had stopped at a stop sign and made a turn before striking the girls with his car.

Nicole and Nicholas Beck say the girls were conscious and told them that they had fallen asleep while suntanning. The cousins say their brother was questioned by police after the crash.

The girls were airlifted to a hospital. Officials with the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh tell the station that the girls are in fair condition Sunday night.

http://news.yahoo.com/2-teen-girls-sunbathing-pa-road-struck-car-020517573.html

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Replies (21-30):
kam013
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM
I had a young man sled right into my car several years back. Yes, they were deliberately sledding into the road. It was a scary thing, took me a long time to feel comfortable driving again. Point being, kids do stupid things because kids don't think about the consequences of their actions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bncholbert
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Surely there was a nearby ditch or field that would have worked just as well. But the road?! Seriously?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:20 AM

you can see the news video here

http://www.wtae.com/r/30975372/detail.html

nb34
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM

There should be plenty of space in rural areas to sunbathe, why in the middle of the road? How wired!

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

This is so sad, but why were the girls sunbathing in the road in the first place?  I lived in a rural town, and people often would travel at high rates of speed down the roads.  I was afraid to ride my bike or even walk on the sides of these roads. 

I am also confused. Did the article imply that the brother hit the girls on purpose, or do investigators believe that it was an accident?  The article wasn't clear.  Either way, it is a tragity.

chelsieb84
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM

My thoughts exactly.  

Quoting andiemomo3:

In the road? Seriously? Whatever happened to a blanket in the grass?

"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage need not be lived again."

Maya Angelou

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Idiots.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnC83
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM

you know..while I understand that the brother should have had his eyes on the road and seen them or whatever...yes he is responsible to that degree. however..this could have been prevented by them not laying in the road to begin with. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Yikes.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM
3 moms liked this

And lmao at One of a kind saying she's a different person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN