Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parent report card proposal stirs debate

Who's judging whom? Parent report card proposal stirs debate

There's a movement afoot for teachers to start issuing report cards... on parents! How would you feel about being graded by your child's teacher? One Florida state lawmaker is proposing just that. NBC Education Correspondent Rehema Ellis reported the story for TODAY, and it got her thinking about her own parental participation.

NBC News Correspondent Rehema Ellis

By Rehema Ellis, NBC correspondent

As I researched this story, it made me think about my own family. I asked myself, would I mind being graded as a parent?

All my son's life -- he's 8 years old now and in the second grade -- I've embraced the notion that my school days are starting anew.  Of course, the big difference now is that I'm in the teacher/tutor role. I make him breakfast every morning and sit down with him. I read all the school notices and frequently communicate with his teachers and the school. There's a big payoff:  I know how he's doing in school and his report card has never been a surprise. (And I should add, he's doing really well in school.)  

So, based on my involvement in my son's school life, I think I'd get a pretty good parent report card. Still, I got to thinking: What kind of grade would I get if I missed a few school notices or didn't check all of his homework? It could happen, because as we all know parenting isn't easy. Parents, especially those who work outside of the home, have long days on the job, often exhausting commutes, and frequent challenges to keep the house in order AND keep an eye on what's happening in their child's school.  

Susan Rayburn, the principal at Lincoln Elementary School in Plant City, Fla., told me that grading could jump-start involvement from parents who are not actively engaged in their child's education. But she also cautioned that if not handled properly, the parent report card could be a turnoff. Some parents could feel intimidated, she said. If the bill passes in the Florida legislature, Rayburn said she hopes teachers use the parent report card "as a tool for partnership versus a 'gotcha.' " 

She makes a great point. After all, the ultimate goal is to help children do better in school. If the parent report card is used, as she says, to "showcase what parents are doing and then help bridge that gap for what they are not doing,"  everyone's grades would improve ... kids AND parents.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (41-50):
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
That still may not be possible. Depending on work schedules, or classes. And j have.seen what sacrificing even 30 minutes of sleep can do to a person. When the twins were infants dh worked full nights, and did full time day classes. He would come home and sleep a few hours then go to school. Even a sacrifice of thirty minutes could mean the difference between being able to safely drive and function, or not. When you only have time for 3-4 hours of sleep a day" you understand how important it is to sleep all you can

Quoting Tanya93:

I'm not insulting poor people.   But kids do better with active parents.   Even if you are working 2 jobs, then sacrifce 30 minutes of sleep or skip a shower so you can help with their work.

Quoting katzmeow726:

That doesn't make it any less hurtful because its life. I Swear its damned if you do, damned with you don't with you people.

If you work only one job and use pa, you are lazy. If you work a bunch of job to avoid pa, you are a poor parent and get a report card saying so.

But obviously the feelings of poor people don't matter to you

Quoting Tanya93:

That's life.   It doesn't make it less real because they are busy.

Quoting katzmeow726:

I really am torn.  I mean I want parents to be more involved.

But at the same time what if it's a parent who is single, and has to work two, or even three jobs to stay afloat?  Or maybe is working and going to school, and really just can NOT be as involved as they want?

A report card like that would be really hard on them, because they likley already feel guilty for not being able to be really involved with their kids. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Momniscient:

Yeah. I'm getting power struggle out of your need to insist that teachers work for you.

Good luck with that.

Couldn't the reverse be true regarding your position?

Sure. You are entitled to feel any way you would like.

Tanya93
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I lived like that for years.

My child's education will still come first.

Quoting katzmeow726:

That still may not be possible. Depending on work schedules, or classes. And j have.seen what sacrificing even 30 minutes of sleep can do to a person. When the twins were infants dh worked full nights, and did full time day classes. He would come home and sleep a few hours then go to school. Even a sacrifice of thirty minutes could mean the difference between being able to safely drive and function, or not. When you only have time for 3-4 hours of sleep a day" you understand how important it is to sleep all you can

Quoting Tanya93:

I'm not insulting poor people.   But kids do better with active parents.   Even if you are working 2 jobs, then sacrifce 30 minutes of sleep or skip a shower so you can help with their work.

Quoting katzmeow726:

That doesn't make it any less hurtful because its life. I Swear its damned if you do, damned with you don't with you people.

If you work only one job and use pa, you are lazy. If you work a bunch of job to avoid pa, you are a poor parent and get a report card saying so.

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting katzmeow726:

But at the same time what if it's a parent who is single, and has to work two, or even three jobs to stay afloat?  Or maybe is working and going to school, and really just can NOT be as involved as they want?

A report card like that would be really hard on them, because they likley already feel guilty for not being able to be really involved with their kids. 

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
How well do you think your child'S education will go if a parent dies from falling asleep at the wheel? Or gets fired for falling asleep on the job? For someone who "lived like that" you sure don't seem to remember what its like...
Oh and their education is coming first here. I am homeschooling them...but again, that's not an option for all. Get out of your happy bubble and realize not evert situation is perfect

Quoting Tanya93:

I lived like that for years.

My child's education will still come first.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Susan0805
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM
I like the idea of a regular feedbag system but i think a grade system would just cause aggression and confrontation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by Ray of sunshine on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM
5 moms liked this

This doesn't make sense to me. It's a parents obligation to provide their children with appropriate education, whether this comes from public school, private school or homeschooling. There are laws and guidelines that must be followed, but nowhere does it say that our involvement in education is mandatory. Do I think it's a great idea to be involved in your children's education, of course, but should parents be graded on their involvement, absolutely not. It's the schools job to make sure my children are being educated, not to grade me as a parent.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Condemning a parent for not sharing one's own priorities is often petty.

Tanya93
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Quoting katzmeow726:

If you want your kids not being the parent forced to work two jobs, then you sacrifice to make sure they are getting and you are doing everything to give them a good education where they have choices at graduation.

I do remember what it is like to work 40 or 50 hours a week, while taking 15 hours, in various activities, and still had time to sleep 5 hours a night if I wanted. I just didn't.

AMBG825
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

So what happens if they get a failing mark? It's really a dumb idea and a waste of time. What would be the point of grading parents? Are you going to take the kids away because of it? Or will it wind up being more like a grading scale for the teachers. So if you have a teacher that you don't really get along with, next year that teacher's "grades" of the parents will be seen by the new teacher and you'll wind up having those issues follow.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM
3 moms liked this

It's bull.  Parenting is completly 100% subjective.  I refuse to submit in my parenting to a government official or worker.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured